Normalized Power Question

Dagoose

Feb 19, 2013
Hello Golden Cheetah Peeps,
I'm wondering if something is wrong with they way my golden cheetah is calculating my normalized power (xPower). I've just done a really hard one hour effort, on rolling roads, and my normalized number is IDENTICAL to my measured, non-normalized number. I don't think I'm THAT steady a pedaler, but I guess it's possible. Are there some settings somewhere I can check to see if things are being calculated correctly?

Thanks peeps!

You might post this on the Golden Cheetah forums, but it's not unusual for normalized power to equal average power for a steady state ride.

Thanks gudu. Could you point me toward that forum? This would be my first forum post ever, and I thought I was in a Golden Cheetah forum/

Originally Posted by Dagoose .

Thanks gudu. Could you point me toward that forum? This would be my first forum post ever, and I thought I was in a Golden Cheetah forum/
Googling on "golden cheetah forum" got me this:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/golden-cheetah-users

I don't use Golden Cheetah, but I assume you can export a raw data file in a format that you can import into Excel. If so, you can compute AP, NP, or any other ride file statistics, in Excel. This will allow you to conclude whether your NP actually equals your AP (unlikely) or if there is an error in the Golden Cheetah computations. At least then you can know what the problem is, and you can narrow your search for an explanation. If you don't know how to do that in Excel, post the raw data file (in any format) and I'll add the formulas and post an Excel workbook with formulas. If the data is JSON, it could require a little work because I don't think you can directly import JSON into Excel, and there are some differences in JSON files. You can use a JSON to CSV converters such as this: http://json-csv.com/
It's not free, but pretty cheap for only a few files.

Originally Posted by RapDaddyo .

I don't use Golden Cheetah, but I assume you can export a raw data file in a format that you can import into Excel. If so, you can compute AP, NP, or any other ride file statistics, in Excel. This will allow you to conclude whether your NP actually equals your AP (unlikely) or if there is an error in the Golden Cheetah computations. At least then you can know what the problem is, and you can narrow your search for an explanation. If you don't know how to do that in Excel, post the raw data file (in any format) and I'll add the formulas and post an Excel workbook with formulas. If the data is JSON, it could require a little work because I don't think you can directly import JSON into Excel, and there are some differences in JSON files. You can use a JSON to CSV converters such as this: http://json-csv.com/
It's not free, but pretty cheap for only a few files.
1. You can export from GC to a raw data file.
2. You can export to .csv
3. xPower is similar to NP but it's not the same.
4. Version 3 of GC can calculate both xPower and NP.
5. The xPower and NP algorithms have been checked many times.

Originally Posted by RChung .

1. You can export from GC to a raw data file.
2. You can export to .csv
3. xPower is similar to NP but it's not the same.
4. Version 3 of GC can calculate both xPower and NP.
5. The xPower and NP algorithms have been checked many times.
Actually, my first question (suspicion) is whether there are raw data problems, such as nulls, blanks or blips, inconsistent time intervals between observations (e.g., if you use the Smart Recording feature of some Garmin units), stops/restarts, etc.