Normally I wouldn't start an Armstrong thread...

helmutRoole2

Jul 7, 2006
... but Walsh has another book out: L.A. Officiel

http://velonews.com/news/fea/11057.0.html

A new book which claims to further lift the lid on some of the dirtier secrets of Lance Armstrong's successful cycling career will go on sale in France on Thursday.

The seven-time Tour de France champion is now retired, but a second book by Pierre Ballester and David Walsh - authors of the controversial "L.A. Confidentiel" two and a half years ago - claims to shed new light on their allegations that Armstrong's feats came through the use of doping products.

Extracts of "L.A. Officiel," which like the first book has been written only in French, will appear in Thursday's edition of the French daily, Le Monde.

The book is centered mainly around an October 2005 legal dispute between Armstrong and the Texas-based insurance company, SCA.

On the basis of allegations in the first book by the pair, "L.A. Confidentiel," SCA tried to pull out of a contract the firm had made with Armstrong to pay him $5 million were he to win his sixth successive Tour de France in 2004.

SCA went on to lose the dispute with Armstrong, who in the face of several allegations over the years has always vigorously denied cheating.

In the new book the testimony of Australian doctor Michael Ashenden, a former Australian Institute of Sport scientist who is credited with creating a blood test to uncover blood boosting drug Erythropoietin, suggests otherwise.

Some doctors had previously stated that the American's recovery from cancer, his change of morphology and his extraordinary lung and heart capacities were the key to Armstrong's almost super-human endeavors.

However, Ashenden says in the book that Armstrong's lung and heart capacities are not "exceptionally high," and further charges that "there's no doubt: He (Armstrong) used doping products."

For his part, Armstrong has disputed Ashenden's conclusion and points to his successful lawsuits against SCA and The Sunday Times of London as evidence of the courts' agreement with his position.

The book also uses the testimony of Frankie Andreu, a former teammate of Armstrong's who recently claimed he used EPO in 1999 when riding with Motorola.

Andreu's wife, Betsy, was also a key witness in SCA's dispute with Armstrong, whom she claimed to have heard admitting that he had used banned doping products prior to undergoing cancer treatment in 1996.

The book's co-author, Pierre Ballester, said the authors' aim was not a relentless pursuit of Armstrong.

"It's a vital addition to an inquiry which throws the spotlight back on claims which in the past tried to reveal Armstrong's personality," Ballester told AFP. "(He is) a rider whose career has been characterised by lies and cheating, but who nonetheless left the sport unsanctioned, unblemished and untouchable."

The 236-page "L.A. Officiel," which will go on sale Thursday in France, is bound to cause controversy. However, whether Armstrong takes any legal action for defamation remains to be seen.

The 35-year-old American, who is set to run the New York Marathon in November, pulled out of an initial threat to sue the authors in France over their first book. He did, however, take the case to far more sympathetic courts in Great Britain and opted to sue the Sunday Times of London for repeating the allegations on its pages. Armstrong declared victory in that suit after reaching an out-of-court settlement with the Times.

Armstrong probably pays people to write the books, then sues them for slightly less than he pays. Result: Another court victory to bolster his arguement of innocence against doping allegations for but a small amount of money.

helmutRoole2 said:
... but Walsh has another book out: L.A. Officiel

http://velonews.com/news/fea/11057.0.html

A new book which claims to further lift the lid on some of the dirtier secrets of Lance Armstrong's successful cycling career will go on sale in France on Thursday.

I would rather have a root canal or eat grass than read another book about Lance. Do you think we can quarantine the book and have it stay in France?

lw

The book's co-author, Pierre Ballester, said the authors' aim was not a relentless pursuit of Armstrong.

LOL :rolleyes:

I have to agree the pursuit of Armstrong with circumstantial evidence into a book is to much.. yes lets speculate over his drug use on the internet but to spend the time to publish into a book is to much for me... its just as obsessive as Armstrong was with his racing... I think now in the light of Puerto I want to see photos…. I want Livingston, Hamilton, Landis to come out and say they doped with Armstrong otherwise I have to say I'm still 50 50.... I do think he doped from what I've seen and my knowledge of the sport but I still haven't seen proof that he did so.... ie Hamilton, Heres etc.

DiabloScott said:

LOL :rolleyes:

Yes. And I'm aure that Ballester and Walsh were not at all motivated by the fact that another book with Armstrong's name on it will garner huge sums of money for each of them. It's not about the money. It's about the purity of the pursuit and the simple search for the truth.

Next they'll author a book about the doping scandals surrounding the carreer of Bjarne Riis. They don't care that they'll only sell four copies of the book. It's all about journalistic integrity and the righteous quest for justice.

Incedently, if you read what I've written above and believed it, please contact me privately to discuss one helluva real estate deal that I'd like to propose to you.

I think Jerry Garcia doped...... I'm going to write a book exposing him to the world.

wolfix said:
I think Jerry Garcia doped...... I'm going to write a book exposing him to the world.
Just because he admitted doping and died in a rehab.centre?
Where's the real evidence then? It's all coincidence.There may be a perfectly good reason for him admitting to doping.
It's come to this ,has it? Are all my heroes going to be destroyed? :D

whiteboytrash said:
I do think he doped from what I've seen and my knowledge of the sport but I still haven't seen proof that he did so.... ie Hamilton, Heres etc.
I would be suprised to find our that he never doped. But we still have almost no evidence. On the other hand his greatest rivals aren't better...

wolfix said:

I am doing one on Keith Richards but still lack credible evidence since no one involved is has any mental credibility left.

The relentless pursuit of Armstrong by Walsh and Ballester for their own personal profit is the same game that they accuse Armstrong of... profiting from a lie..... I really don't think Walsh and Ballester are motivated to expose the truth but profit from the fact that 10,000 French idiots will buy the book where they could have read all of it here at cyclingforums.com or at cyclingnews.com... there is nothing new in this book..... until the day Floyd Landis releases photos of him and Lance transfusing a few pints of blood over a Jack Daniels I'll say that Armstrong doped but there is no exact proof that he did so....

whiteboytrash said:
I have to agree the pursuit of Armstrong with circumstantial evidence into a book is to much.. yes lets speculate over his drug use on the internet but to spend the time to publish into a book is to much for me... its just as obsessive as Armstrong was with his racing... I think now in the light of Puerto I want to see photos…. I want Livingston, Hamilton, Landis to come out and say they doped with Armstrong otherwise I have to say I'm still 50 50.... I do think he doped from what I've seen and my knowledge of the sport but I still haven't seen proof that he did so.... ie Hamilton, Heres etc.

:eek: WHO ARE YOU, AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH WBT?!?

;)

whiteboytrash said:
I really don't think Walsh and Ballester are motivated to expose the truth but profit from the fact that 10,000 French idiots will buy the book where they could have read all of it here at cyclingforums.com or at cyclingnews.com...
Ya missed your chance...... you could have wrote the book in an evening or 2....... Just use akll your insightful posts the last few months......

"whiteboytrash .....The Best of Cyclingforums".
$19.95...... Amazon .com

Seeriously..if Walsh really cared about the sport he would not be repeating old info. It just keeps doping in the eyes of the public. This book is not going to change the opinion of anyone towards LA.

whiteboytrash said:
until the day Floyd Landis releases photos of him and Lance transfusing a few pints of blood over a Jack Daniels I'll say that Armstrong doped but there is no exact proof that he did so....
Guilty until proven innocent, right?

Invasion.jpg

PartisanRanger said:
Guilty until proven innocent, right?
No that’s not what I'm saying.... I'm saying lets stop the fark talking about Armstrong because it reminds of an ex-girlfriend I had who continually wanted to talk about how badly her ex-boyfriend treated her… she loved the drama… as you guys do….. I don’t mind talking about Landis and Puerto because its now and relevant but the Armstrong arguments are boring unless it’s new information…..

wolfix said:
Seeriously..if Walsh really cared about the sport he would not be repeating old info. It just keeps doping in the eyes of the public. This book is not going to change the opinion of anyone towards LA.

So wait, let me get this straight? Are you suggesting that the best way to address the doping problem is to keep the public's eyes off of it?

I don't care a wit about Walsh or this new book. If Walsh really cared about the sport, he'd forget Armstrong and investigate the whole sport's acceptance of doping.

But let's stop kidding ourselves: the public NEEDS to know more about doping in cycling and needs to hear a lot about it and needs to demand that the riders stop cheating. My goodness, Ivan Basso will sign for a new team soon and another rider with extremely strong ties to doping will be back on the road. Why doesn't anyone care?