Normandy cones



Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bruce Lange

Guest
I've got a high flange Normandy hub from a 1970s Motobecane Mirage that I bought at the thrift
store. I like the look of these high flange hubs, and I gave this one an overhaul. The bearing
surfaces are in good shape, but one of the cones is pitted, so I figured I'd replace the bearings
and cones. Little did I realize that these are unique cones.

LBS has a Campy axle (with different thread) and says that the cones are similar enough, but
obvoiusly you need the Campy axle and the Campy cones (~$30).

That's probably what I'll do, because the axle looks pretty beat up, and I don't mind replacing it.

But I would still like to know if there's a solution to this using a 9mm x 1mm alxe. Anybody know?
Also, if using the Campy axle, are there limitations on which Campy cones will work?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce
 
A

A Muzi

Guest
"Bruce Lange" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> I've got a high flange Normandy hub from a 1970s Motobecane Mirage that I bought at the thrift
> store. I like the look of these high flange hubs, and
I
> gave this one an overhaul. The bearing surfaces are in good shape, but one of the cones is pitted,
> so I figured I'd replace the bearings and cones. Little did I realize that these are unique cones.
>
> LBS has a Campy axle (with different thread) and says that the cones are similar enough, but
> obvoiusly you need the Campy axle and the Campy cones (~$30).
>
> That's probably what I'll do, because the axle looks pretty beat up, and I don't mind
> replacing it.
>
> But I would still like to know if there's a solution to this using a 9mm x 1mm alxe. Anybody know?
> Also, if using the Campy axle, are there
limitations
> on which Campy cones will work?

When you say 9x1 you mean a front hub, right? Use any current Shimano or Jo You or similar axle set
for 10x10 3/16" balls . Almost all are patterned after your hub, which was considered the industry
standard for a good many years. Even cups often fit if you should find the need.

In classic Campagnolo, use a GranSport or NuovoTipo axle set but not a Record (as those were cut to
use 10x10 7/32" balls).

The currently supplied Campagnolo front hubs that use 10x10 3/16" balls are so abysmally awful that
a pitted Normandy cone would be an improvement. One wonders if anyone at Campagnolo knows what their
vendor is doing with those horrible things. We change to new bearings and plenty of good grease when
we find 'em on new bicycles but even stilll their "Cone Consumption Rate"
( anew measure of low quality hubs developed just for these) is pretty high. Don't bother.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971
 
B

Bruce Lange

Guest
> When you say 9x1 you mean a front hub, right?

Yes it's a front.

> Use any current Shimano or Jo You or similar axle set for 10x10 3/16" balls .

Thanks Andrew. I think I misspoke at the LBS and said Malliard rather than Normandy. There were some
unique Malliard axles and cones (even other than Helicomatic) , weren't there? I took a closer look
at it just now and I see that you are right.

My mistake!

-Bruce-
 
B

Bruce Lange

Guest
> When you say 9x1 you mean a front hub, right?

Yes it's a front.

> Use any current Shimano or Jo You or similar axle set for 10x10 3/16" balls .

Thanks Andrew. I think I misspoke at the LBS and said Malliard rather than Normandy. There were some
unique Malliard axles and cones (even other than Helicomatic) , weren't there? I took a closer look
at it just now and I see that you are right.

My mistake!

-Bruce-
 
B

Brian Plaugher

Guest
"A Muzi", an authority, wrote in another thread:

> The currently supplied Campagnolo front hubs that use 10x10 3/16" balls are so abysmally awful
> that a pitted Normandy cone would be an improvement.
Does this mean I should replace the bearings on my new Chorus front hub (which has not even been
ridden yet)? Brian Plaugher
 
A

A Muzi

Guest
> > When you say 9x1 you mean a front hub, right?

"Bruce Lange" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yes it's a front.

> > Use any current Shimano or Jo You or similar axle set for 10x10 3/16" balls .

"Bruce Lange"> Thanks Andrew. I think I misspoke at the LBS and said Malliard rather than
> Normandy. There were some unique Malliard axles and cones (even other than Helicomatic) , weren't
> there? I took a closer look at it just now and I
see
> that you are right.

That's understandable. Among the various brands (M.M.Atom. Maillard, Normandy) the top end equipment
(Maillard Pro) had a poorly-conceived and quite unusual cone shape that's infamously never
available*. Your average bike shop employee might easily just say 'no' reflexively, thinking of
those when asked "Maillard?".

*quality was good, but the odd cone combined with an extremely fine axle thread to preclude
interchangeability.
--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971
 
A

A Muzi

Guest
> [email protected] , with some but not a lot of hyperbole, wrote:
> > The currently supplied Campagnolo front hubs that use 10x10 3/16" balls
are
> > so abysmally awful that a pitted Normandy cone would be an improvement.

"Brian Plaugher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does this mean I should replace the bearings on my new Chorus front hub (which has not even been
> ridden yet)?

Not at all!

The current Chorus is IMHO among the best bicycle hub bearing systems (design _and_ execution)
ever made!

The Avanti, Xenon and Mirage use 10 balls each side, 3/16", but are pretty low quality overall.
--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971
 
P

Patrick

Guest
Yes! Details please? What years/groups are you seeing problems with? Some of us spend hard-earned
money on new Campy stuff . . .

[email protected] (Brian Plaugher) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "A Muzi", an authority, wrote in another thread:
>
>
> > The currently supplied Campagnolo front hubs that use 10x10 3/16" balls are so abysmally awful
> > that a pitted Normandy cone would be an improvement.
> Does this mean I should replace the bearings on my new Chorus front hub (which has not even been
> ridden yet)? Brian Plaugher
 
Status
Not open for further replies.