North Circular Road

Shumit

Guest
Hello,

My first post and first proper cycle.

I need a route that takes me from Henlys Corner to the crossing of the
a406(North Circular Road) and Colney Hatch Lane. When I put the route
into cycle route calculator on the tfl website it suggests I join the
a406 where it crosses the High road and cycle along the a406 up to my
destination. So is there a cycle lane on the A406 from that point or
is the tfl site going mad?

thanks,Shumit

On Apr 19, 12:08 pm, Shumit <[email protected]> wrote:
> I need a route that takes me from Henlys Corner to the crossing of the
> a406(North Circular Road) and Colney Hatch Lane. When I put the route
> into cycle route calculator on the tfl website it suggests I join the
> a406 where it crosses the High road and cycle along the a406 up to my
> destination. So is there a cycle lane on the A406 from that point or
> is the tfl site going mad?

You could try www.cyclemaps.net

Let us know how you get on?

-Kristian

Shumit wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My first post and first proper cycle.
>
> I need a route that takes me from Henlys Corner to the crossing of the
> a406(North Circular Road) and Colney Hatch Lane. When I put the route
> into cycle route calculator on the tfl website it suggests I join the
> a406 where it crosses the High road and cycle along the a406 up to my
> destination. So is there a cycle lane on the A406 from that point or
> is the tfl site going mad?

Unless any have been added very recently, the North Circ doesn't have any
on-road cycle lanes at all, and little in the way of cycle facilities on the
pavement besides it.

You are allowed to cycle on most of the A406. I reckon it's no more
dangerous on balance than cycling on ordinary London streets, bearing in
mind the far fewer number of junctions and hazzards per mile.

~PB

Shumit wrote:

>I need a route that takes me from Henlys Corner to the crossing of the
>a406(North Circular Road) and Colney Hatch Lane. When I put the route
>into cycle route calculator on the tfl website it suggests I join the
>a406 where it crosses the High road and cycle along the a406 up to my
>destination. So is there a cycle lane on the A406 from that point or
>is the tfl site going mad?

Last time I drove along there there certainly wasn't a cycle patch. In
any case you'd be going up some vicious hills.

I don't remember the elevations in detail, but I suspect you'd do better
to deviate to one side - either up Regent's Park Road and Ballard's Lane
to Tally Ho Corner, or along Falloden Way, turn left onto Ossulton Way
(stiff climb but not too long), then run along the top via East End Road
and Fortis Green.

Roger

I think LCN+ has or plans routes on much of the A406. From what I've
seen from a taxi (mostly west of Henly's Corner) the cycle tracks are
horrid; ridiculously narrow paths shared with pedestrians, poor junction
design, etc.

Much of your route, maybe all, is in the lovely London Borough of
Barnet, a council known for its love of the motorist and contempt for
cyclists.

Barnet Cyclists meets on the last Thursday of every month in North
Finchley. Please join us. Find out where we are from links on the London
Cycling campaign website.(www.lcc.org.uk)

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

On 19 Apr, 13:39, "Pete Biggs"
> Unless any have been added very recently, the North Circ doesn't have any
> on-road cycle lanes at all, and little in the way of cycle facilities on the
> pavement besides it.
>
> You are allowed to cycle on most of the A406. I reckon it's no more
> dangerous on balance than cycling on ordinary London streets

I used to cycle commute the section between the Hangar Lane Gyratory
and Stonebridge Park. That wasn't too bad because when they redid the
road and put in the underpasses they left bits of the old road as
service roads beside it, which were OK to cycle on if not pleasant.
The centre of the Gyratory itself is a little oasis with greenery.
Not that any of that is relevant to the OP.

"Shumit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> My first post and first proper cycle.
>
> I need a route that takes me from Henlys Corner to the crossing of
> the
> a406(North Circular Road) and Colney Hatch Lane.

When I put the route
> into cycle route calculator on the tfl website it suggests I join
> the
> a406 where it crosses the High road and cycle along the a406 up to
> my
> destination. So is there a cycle lane on the A406 from that point
> or
> is the tfl site going mad?

There is no roadway bike lane on the A406, and no cycle track/bike
path. However, cycling along the pavement may be legal, although the
London bike map shows riding on the pavement as being legal only from
Henly's Corner as far east as the A1000. If this is to be your first
proper cycle, the roadway of the the North Circular, though legal, as
is any Barnet roadway except the M1, is definitely not the place to
choose, and even the pavement is not that pleasant.

The TfL Journey Planner did get mad enough to be essentially useless
from about a year ago. Now the route it recommends from my house in
High Barnet to the London Cycling Campaign's headquarters takes 34
sheets of paper, and requires changing to a new page every 3 1/2
minutes.

The best idea is to get a copy of the relevant bike maps (free),
either by phoning the same number as for bus maps, 020-7222-1234, or
picking a map up from your local library or tube station (Tube
stations tend to run out. Barnet libraries tend to keep a good
stock, but only of their own local map). You will need sheets 4 and
5. It's an A-Z style map, overprinted with bike routes official and
unofficial. With that you should be able to choose your own route.
Any back street should be fairly good, even if not marked in yellow
as specifically recommended. I presume that you will not be
travelling from **exactly** Henly's Corner to **exactly** where
Colney Hatch lane crosses the N. Circ'

Another possibility is to make use of the London Cycling Campaign's
"bike buddy" scheme. Phone the membership secretary of the Barnet
branch of the LCC, Jo' McKenzie, on 020-8449-4813, and she will try
to match you up with a member who lives in the vicinity and who can
give you detailed advice, and perhaps ride along with you for a first
reconnaisance.

As Helen Vecht has already recommended, we might even be worth
joining

Jeremy Parker
Borough Coordinator, Barnet LCC

Thanks all for advice. I have just been driven down the bit of the
a406 and there is a pavement all along that section which starts from
the high road junction. I even spotted one cyclist using it and no
pedestrians at all. But it looks a very unpleasant ride so l I'll try
one of the alternative routes suggested above.

And I may see some of you at the Barnet cyclist club soon.

thanks,Shumit

Shumit <[email protected]>typed

> Thanks all for advice. I have just been driven down the bit of the
> a406 and there is a pavement all along that section which starts from
> the high road junction. I even spotted one cyclist using it and no
> pedestrians at all. But it looks a very unpleasant ride so l I'll try
> one of the alternative routes suggested above.

> And I may see some of you at the Barnet cyclist club soon.

> thanks,Shumit

Our next meeting is this coming Thursday at 8pm, in North Finchley. We
meet for two hours, with a tea & biscuit break at half-time, and often
descend to a cafe afterwards. There is usually some cycle-related
entertainment in the second half of the meeting. This week, it's the
Auction; two Committee members will auction off members' unwanted goods,
raising club funds.

http://www.barnetlcc.org/