North Norfolk Coast Cycle Routes

roger and sue

Guest
Hi, I'm introducing my grandson (age 11) to cycle touring and the YHA and
the North Norfolk Coastal area looks promising, especially utlising the
three YHAs at Hunstanton, Wells and Sheringham for overnight stops.

Please can SKP advise me if there are traffic free cycleways which wholly or
partially link these hostels?

If not, are there quiet roads relatively free from traffic in this area? The
minor roads which track West to East a few miles South of the A149 seem to
offer a suitable quiet country lane route or is the A149 fairly quiet at the
end of May?

I also note that the Peddars Way runs along the coast here, is it a cycleway
and if so, what type of surface does this have?

Any other info gratefully accepted,

TIA

--
regards from roger

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 21:31:49 +0100,
roger and sue <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi, I'm introducing my grandson (age 11) to cycle touring and the YHA and
> the North Norfolk Coastal area looks promising, especially utlising the
> three YHAs at Hunstanton, Wells and Sheringham for overnight stops.
>
> Please can SKP advise me if there are traffic free cycleways which wholly or
> partially link these hostels?
>
> If not, are there quiet roads relatively free from traffic in this area? The
> minor roads which track West to East a few miles South of the A149 seem to
> offer a suitable quiet country lane route or is the A149 fairly quiet at the
> end of May?
>
> I also note that the Peddars Way runs along the coast here, is it a cycleway
> and if so, what type of surface does this have?

Technically it isn't Peddars Way along the coast it is the North Norfolk
Coastal Path which doesn't allow bikes AFAICR.

However there is the North Nofolk Cycleway which links up sunny Hunny to
Wells and Cromer. It doesn't go to Sheringham. But you can take your bikes
on the train from Cromer to Sheringham (or Holt to Sheringham). I am
not sure if there are traffic-free ways to get between them on a bike.

You could do worse than look at the guide that North Nofolk put out on
their website at www.northnorfolk.org.

--
Andy Leighton => [email protected]
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

roger and sue wrote:
> Hi, I'm introducing my grandson (age 11) to cycle touring and the YHA and
> the North Norfolk Coastal area looks promising, especially utlising the
> three YHAs at Hunstanton, Wells and Sheringham for overnight stops.
>
> Please can SKP advise me if there are traffic free cycleways which wholly or
> partially link these hostels?
>
> If not, are there quiet roads relatively free from traffic in this area? The
> minor roads which track West to East a few miles South of the A149 seem to
> offer a suitable quiet country lane route or is the A149 fairly quiet at the
> end of May?
>
> I also note that the Peddars Way runs along the coast here, is it a cycleway
> and if so, what type of surface does this have?
>
> Any other info gratefully accepted,
>
> TIA

As far as I know there are no traffic *free* (as in - off-road) paths
that run West to East along there. And you really really want to avoid
the A149; it's a very unfriendly place for cyclists - and come the
summer time, it's pretty unfriendly for cars too!

However, as you say - there are some excellent lanes that run W/E to the
south of the main road; here's the route I use for that:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=889098

It's very quiet - the lanes are narrow and slow, and most drivers you
meet are polite. You are never more than a few km's from an Ice Cream on
the coast :)

Don't expect this to be pan flat though. This route runs along the
Cromer ridge, and is surprisingly undulating. The Glaven valley (at
Wiveton) provides a (for Norfolk at least) challenging climb up to
Kelling Heath.

Have fun!

Chris

"Chris Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> As far as I know there are no traffic *free* (as in - off-road) paths that
> run West to East along there. And you really really want to avoid the
> A149; it's a very unfriendly place for cyclists - and come the summer
> time, it's pretty unfriendly for cars too!
>
> However, as you say - there are some excellent lanes that run W/E to the
> south of the main road; here's the route I use for that:
>
> http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=889098
>
> It's very quiet - the lanes are narrow and slow, and most drivers you meet
> are polite. You are never more than a few km's from an Ice Cream on the
> coast :)
>
> Don't expect this to be pan flat though. This route runs along the Cromer
> ridge, and is surprisingly undulating. The Glaven valley (at Wiveton)
> provides a (for Norfolk at least) challenging climb up to Kelling Heath.
>
> Have fun!
>
> Chris

Echoing what Chris has said.

Definitely avoid the A149. If you are further inland, avoid the A148, A1065

On the plus side, Norfolk is a myriad of minor roads/lanes which make for
excellent cycling.

If you haven't already got, the OS Landranger sheets for the area are
exceedingly useful at working out which lanes to take.

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:53:09 +0100, "wafflycat"
<w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:

>"Chris Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>

>> As far as I know there are no traffic *free* (as in - off-road) paths that
>> run West to East along there. And you really really want to avoid the
>> A149; it's a very unfriendly place for cyclists - and come the summer
>> time, it's pretty unfriendly for cars too!
>>
>> However, as you say - there are some excellent lanes that run W/E to the
>> south of the main road; here's the route I use for that:
>>
>> http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=889098
>>
>> It's very quiet - the lanes are narrow and slow, and most drivers you meet
>> are polite. You are never more than a few km's from an Ice Cream on the
>> coast :)

Sustrans, bless them, have even mrked some of the lane as part of the
national cycle network, number 12 I think. Looking at Chris' link and
the Sustrans website seems to have them the same. Mind you the
Sutrans webite in't the easiest or fastest I've ever seen, soit's hard
to tell.

<snip>

>Definitely avoid the A149. If you are further inland, avoid the A148, A1065

The A149 is Not Nice.

>On the plus side, Norfolk is a myriad of minor roads/lanes which make for
>excellent cycling.
>
>If you haven't already got, the OS Landranger sheets for the area are
>exceedingly useful at working out which lanes to take.

Absoulutley. And for accomodation, try also Deepdale Granary
independent hotel at Burnham Deepdale.

Tim

"roger and sue" <[email protected]> wrote:
> three YHAs at Hunstanton, Wells and Sheringham for overnight stops.
>
> Please can SKP advise me if there are traffic free cycleways which wholly or
> partially link these hostels?

This is URC not SKP. No, there are not car-free cycleways between them.
There are a few stretches of car-free around Hunstanton. My maps don't
show any through Wells or Sheringham, but it might have changed. The
Norfolk Coast Cycling Initiative maps are 2 pounds from Tourist Information.

I think traffic-free cycleways is a daft expression (cycles are traffic)
but may be an accurate description of what's often built!

> If not, are there quiet roads relatively free from traffic in this area? The
> minor roads which track West to East a few miles South of the A149 seem to
> offer a suitable quiet country lane route or is the A149 fairly quiet at the
> end of May?

There are quiet roads, signed as NCN1 and RR30. It looks like the worst
stretch is into Sheringham, but maybe the North Norfolk Railway from Holt
could be an alternative route in. The A149 is sometimes quiet, but I don't
like the way people drive along it.

> I also note that the Peddars Way runs along the coast here, is it a cycleway
> and if so, what type of surface does this have?

Peddars Way runs inland from Ringstead and is mostly turf with thick grass,
as far as I can recall.

Hope that helps,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 16:57:02 +0000 (UTC), MJ Ray <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"roger and sue" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> three YHAs at Hunstanton, Wells and Sheringham for overnight stops.
>>
>> Please can SKP advise me if there are traffic free cycleways which wholly or
>> partially link these hostels?

>This is URC not SKP.

Doesn't SKP stand for Some Kind Person? A close friend of SWK,
Someone Who Knows, presumably.

Tim