North Rd Bunch - Wednesday

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Shabby, Jun 3, 2003.

  1. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Whats with the North Road bunch on Wednesdays at the moment?

    The accepted protocol was that it's a small chanring day, easy on the way out then back medium to hard. Lately it's just been flat out all the way, with this morning's bunch splitting into 5 separate groups at one stage. Two weeks ago we sat on 45-50kph for over 10km according to my heart rate monitor data. (Probably more, but I got dropped).

    Why aren't people going hard on the Tue/Thu days instead?

    Tags:

  2. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Shabby" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Whats with the North Road bunch on Wednesdays at the moment? Why aren't people going hard on the
    > Tue/Thu days instead?

    Ego? Lose race Sunday, make up for it in bunch ride on Wednesday?

    hip

  3. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    So why not do it at the "Hour of Power" instead? I doubt that anyone who is pushing the pace so high on the Wednesday's is turning up to the Tue/Thu as well, plus racing.

    This bunch used to be a good bunch that was controlled on the easy days, saving it for the hard days. And it used to be 2 lines of riders.

    It seems that everyone has forgotten the difference between a race and a training ride.

  4. Rman

    Rman Guest

    "Shabby" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > So why not do it at the "Hour of Power" instead? I doubt that anyone who is pushing the pace so
    > high on the Wednesday's is turning up to the Tue/Thu as well, plus racing.

    It's possible they are.

    > This bunch used to be a good bunch that was controlled on the easy days, saving it for the hard
    > days. And it used to be 2 lines of riders.
    >
    > It seems that everyone has forgotten the difference between a race and a training ride.

    The Tuesday/Thursday bunch is out of control at the moment too. The pace is no higher than usual,
    but the size of the bunch means 3,4 and at times 5 a breast and into the next lane. It's a disaster
    waiting to happen IMO. I really think it's ego driven as weekday warriors try and stay up to the
    front of the bunch to put in for the glory sprint. As the lines rarely rotate, except for the front
    10 or so, champs create a new line to try and drive to the front, which of course, more champs jump
    onto and so now there is a third lien, then a fourth etc etc.

    It is by far the riskiest riding I do, more risky than commuting in traffic and by far more than any
    racing I do.

    IMO it has become more dangerous and out of control then the hell ride, and I question the risk vs.
    gain ratio. I find myself riding more and more in the Brumbies bunch, but unfortunately at the
    moment, the meeting of those two bunches is also crazy. I don't fear big bunch riding, I fear champs
    who are so head down, arse up and desperate to hang on for the "big sprint" that they have detached
    the derailer in their brain.

    I have noticed a few of the older, regular guys have disappeared from the North Road ride and I see
    them out on Beach Road in the mornings in a bunch where I don't know where it starts or finishes.

  5. Michael Day

    Michael Day Guest

    I was there this morning. As a new rider I was just trying to fit in and not make waves.
    Unsuccessfully a couple of time when I got to the front after mordi and went to fast. Was nold in no
    uncertain terms too. Nothing to do with ego on my part - just inexperience. Some people are really
    good at telling you what to do and how while other are just arseholes. If everyone was like the
    first there probably wouldn't be the problems.

    "Shabby" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Whats with the North Road bunch on Wednesdays at the moment?
    >
    > The accepted protocol was that it's a small chanring day, easy on the way out then back medium to
    > hard. Lately it's just been flat out all the way, with this morning's bunch splitting into 5
    > separate groups at one stage. Two weeks ago we sat on 45-50kph for over 10km according to my heart
    > rate monitor data. (Probably more, but I got dropped).
    >
    > Why aren't people going hard on the Tue/Thu days instead?

  6. chippa

    chippa New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2003
    Well, there you go. Put a bunch of guys/gals together and bingo, they want to race each other.

  7. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Ignoramus.

    Why not just race hard every day, 7 days a week then?

    Take the shallow jersey and wear it with pride. Anyone can outsprint a world champion if he's on a recovery ride.

  8. Karl Nixon

    Karl Nixon Guest

    When do these rides set off each morning? From where?

  9. Rman

    Rman Guest

    "Shabby" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > chippa wrote:
    > > Well, there you go. Put a bunch of guys/gals together and bingo, they want to race each other.
    >

    > Ignoramus.
    >
    > Why not just race hard every day, 7 days a week then?
    >
    > Take the shallow jersey and wear it with pride. Anyone can outsprint a world champion if he's on a
    > recovery ride.

    supposed to be at recovery pace but has become race pace.

  10. Rman

    Rman Guest

  11. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    I guess you didn't pick up on my sarcasm. I was responding to the comment by chippa, which seemed to suggest that any time a bunch forms it's going to be testosterone driven and hence race pace. I then past, this bunch wasn't like that, the hard stuff was saved for the hard days.

    I started this thread, so I do understand the intent.