North Shore Trip ~Video~

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bill Porter, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

    A couple of weeks ago I managed to get in a couple of days of riding on the North Shore of
    Vancouver, BC. The first day was on Grouse Mountain (aka Mt Fromme) and the second was on Seymour
    Mountain. The North Shore was more technical than I had expected and many of the trails where
    downright humbling. Some of the trails we did at Grouse Mountain where Seven Secrets, Krikem
    Krankem, Leopard, and Kirkwood. On the second day at Seymour we rode The Incline, Pangor, Slash, and
    Bridle Trails.

    I had the helmet camera running and you can check out the video here
    http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/NorthShoreJUN03-Websize.mpg

    Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

    Tags:

  2. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    "Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > A couple of weeks ago I managed to get in a couple of days of riding on the North Shore of
    > Vancouver, BC. The first day was on Grouse Mountain (aka Mt Fromme) and the second was on Seymour
    > Mountain. The North Shore was more technical than I had expected and many of the trails where
    > downright humbling. Some of the trails we did at Grouse Mountain where Seven Secrets, Krikem
    > Krankem, Leopard, and Kirkwood. On the second day at Seymour we rode The Incline, Pangor, Slash,
    > and Bridle Trails.
    >
    > I had the helmet camera running and you can check out the video here
    > http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/NorthShoreJUN03-Websize.mpg
    >
    > Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

    Very cool. I'd love to get up there sometime just to see the trails (no way in hell I could ride the
    extreme stuff at all) and ride what I could.

    Was it raining and/or foggy that day? It looked darker than just being in the forest but it's
    hard to tell.

    Michael

  3. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

  4. M&M

    M&M Guest

    [email protected] (Bill Porter) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > A couple of weeks ago I managed to get in a couple of days of riding on the North Shore of
    > Vancouver, BC. The first day was on Grouse Mountain (aka Mt Fromme) and the second was on Seymour
    > Mountain. The North Shore was more technical than I had expected and many of the trails where
    > downright humbling. Some of the trails we did at Grouse Mountain where Seven Secrets, Krikem
    > Krankem, Leopard, and Kirkwood. On the second day at Seymour we rode The Incline, Pangor, Slash,
    > and Bridle Trails.
    >
    > I had the helmet camera running and you can check out the video here
    > http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/NorthShoreJUN03-Websize.mpg
    >
    > Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

    I still am amazed at how fast the DL is in Broad Band . Plus my provider just lowered the cost by
    $14.00 a month . Great Clip , BP !

    M&M

  5. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 00:27:22 GMT, "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Was it raining and/or foggy that day? It looked darker than just being in the forest but it's
    >hard to tell.
    >
    >Michael

    The first day at Grouse it was overcast and gloomy, the next day at Seymour bright and sunny. The
    locals I was with commented on how dry it was compared to recent weeks. That was quite fine with
    me, I did not have much experience with roots before this trip and learning the skills on wet roots
    would have most likely not been too fun.

    Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

  6. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Bill Porter thoughtfully penned:
    > On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 00:27:22 GMT, "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >> Was it raining and/or foggy that day? It looked darker than just being in the forest but it's
    >> hard to tell.
    >>
    >> Michael
    >>

    > The first day at Grouse it was overcast and gloomy, the next day at Seymour bright and sunny. The
    > locals I was with commented on how dry it was compared to recent weeks. That was quite fine with
    > me, I did not have much experience with roots before this trip and learning the skills on wet
    > roots would have most likely not been too fun.
    >
    > Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

    It looks like your standard PNW deep forest cover to me. And yup, you are right about not having
    ot learn those skill on wet roots. BTDT, in Nelson. Yes, I sat down in the middle of the trail
    and cried. And I picked the stupid thing. That's the worst part, when you can't blame it on
    someone else.

    penny

  7. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:40:04 GMT, "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> I had the helmet camera running and you can check out the video here
    >> http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/NorthShoreJUN03-Websize.mpg
    >

    >Nice production - and some nice riding too. The end is great!
    >
    >I'd love to go there and at least look around sometime.

    Thanks. I still think about that ending everytime I move my left wrist just so :) Thats funny that
    you mentioned that you at least want to look around. That was exactly the same comment I had made
    about going up there. I found that I was able to ride more than I thought I could. If you think
    about "the line" that you have on anyone of single tracks you normally ride, that is probably about
    the same size or smaller than the stuff I rode up there. Then again I was not on any of the insanely
    high and narrow stuff nor the big A-frames.

    Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

  8. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Thanks for the vid.

    That's the first banked board"walk" I've ever seen. You don't see that on any of the trails around
    here, which are on National Forest land. What/who owns the land up there, that makes it possible for
    trail builders to put so much work into the trails?

  9. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Raptor thoughtfully penned:
    > Thanks for the vid.
    >
    > That's the first banked board"walk" I've ever seen. You don't see that on any of the trails around
    > here, which are on National Forest land. What/who owns the land up there, that makes it possible
    > for trail builders to put so much work into the trails?
    >
    > --

    they started building them that way ( I think, based on trail building workshop/lecture/seminar I
    went to) because the forests up there are real damp ( rain forest) with a lot of dead fall

    penny