North Shore Trip ~Video~

Bill Porter

Guest
A couple of weeks ago I managed to get in a couple of days of riding on the North Shore of
Vancouver, BC. The first day was on Grouse Mountain (aka Mt Fromme) and the second was on Seymour
Mountain. The North Shore was more technical than I had expected and many of the trails where
downright humbling. Some of the trails we did at Grouse Mountain where Seven Secrets, Krikem
Krankem, Leopard, and Kirkwood. On the second day at Seymour we rode The Incline, Pangor, Slash, and
Bridle Trails.

I had the helmet camera running and you can check out the video here
http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/NorthShoreJUN03-Websize.mpg

Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

"Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> A couple of weeks ago I managed to get in a couple of days of riding on the North Shore of
> Vancouver, BC. The first day was on Grouse Mountain (aka Mt Fromme) and the second was on Seymour
> Mountain. The North Shore was more technical than I had expected and many of the trails where
> downright humbling. Some of the trails we did at Grouse Mountain where Seven Secrets, Krikem
> Krankem, Leopard, and Kirkwood. On the second day at Seymour we rode The Incline, Pangor, Slash,
> and Bridle Trails.
>
> I had the helmet camera running and you can check out the video here
> http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/NorthShoreJUN03-Websize.mpg
>
> Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

Very cool. I'd love to get up there sometime just to see the trails (no way in hell I could ride the
extreme stuff at all) and ride what I could.

Was it raining and/or foggy that day? It looked darker than just being in the forest but it's
hard to tell.

Michael

[email protected] (Bill Porter) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> A couple of weeks ago I managed to get in a couple of days of riding on the North Shore of
> Vancouver, BC. The first day was on Grouse Mountain (aka Mt Fromme) and the second was on Seymour
> Mountain. The North Shore was more technical than I had expected and many of the trails where
> downright humbling. Some of the trails we did at Grouse Mountain where Seven Secrets, Krikem
> Krankem, Leopard, and Kirkwood. On the second day at Seymour we rode The Incline, Pangor, Slash,
> and Bridle Trails.
>
> I had the helmet camera running and you can check out the video here
> http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/NorthShoreJUN03-Websize.mpg
>
> Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

I still am amazed at how fast the DL is in Broad Band . Plus my provider just lowered the cost by
$14.00 a month . Great Clip , BP !

M&M

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 00:27:22 GMT, "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Was it raining and/or foggy that day? It looked darker than just being in the forest but it's
>hard to tell.
>
>Michael

The first day at Grouse it was overcast and gloomy, the next day at Seymour bright and sunny. The
locals I was with commented on how dry it was compared to recent weeks. That was quite fine with
me, I did not have much experience with roots before this trip and learning the skills on wet roots
would have most likely not been too fun.

Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

Bill Porter thoughtfully penned:
> On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 00:27:22 GMT, "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> Was it raining and/or foggy that day? It looked darker than just being in the forest but it's
>> hard to tell.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> The first day at Grouse it was overcast and gloomy, the next day at Seymour bright and sunny. The
> locals I was with commented on how dry it was compared to recent weeks. That was quite fine with
> me, I did not have much experience with roots before this trip and learning the skills on wet
> roots would have most likely not been too fun.
>
> Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

It looks like your standard PNW deep forest cover to me. And yup, you are right about not having
ot learn those skill on wet roots. BTDT, in Nelson. Yes, I sat down in the middle of the trail
and cried. And I picked the stupid thing. That's the worst part, when you can't blame it on
someone else.

penny

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:40:04 GMT, "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I had the helmet camera running and you can check out the video here
>> http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/NorthShoreJUN03-Websize.mpg
>

>Nice production - and some nice riding too. The end is great!
>
>I'd love to go there and at least look around sometime.

Thanks. I still think about that ending everytime I move my left wrist just so :) Thats funny that
you mentioned that you at least want to look around. That was exactly the same comment I had made
about going up there. I found that I was able to ride more than I thought I could. If you think
about "the line" that you have on anyone of single tracks you normally ride, that is probably about
the same size or smaller than the stuff I rode up there. Then again I was not on any of the insanely
high and narrow stuff nor the big A-frames.

Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

Thanks for the vid.

That's the first banked board"walk" I've ever seen. You don't see that on any of the trails around
here, which are on National Forest land. What/who owns the land up there, that makes it possible for
trail builders to put so much work into the trails?

Raptor thoughtfully penned:
> Thanks for the vid.
>
> That's the first banked board"walk" I've ever seen. You don't see that on any of the trails around
> here, which are on National Forest land. What/who owns the land up there, that makes it possible
> for trail builders to put so much work into the trails?
>
> --

they started building them that way ( I think, based on trail building workshop/lecture/seminar I
went to) because the forests up there are real damp ( rain forest) with a lot of dead fall

penny