Northern Illinois Question

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Will S ., Apr 25, 2003.

  1. Will S .

    Will S . Guest

    I want to connect from the I & M Canal trail in or near Ottawa to the Fox River Trail in Aurora.
    Have any of you ridden these roads? Any route suggestions? Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Todd Kuzma

    Todd Kuzma Guest

    Will S. wrote:

    > I want to connect from the I & M Canal trail in or near Ottawa to the Fox River Trail in Aurora.
    > Have any of you ridden these roads? Any route suggestions? Thanks.

    The most direct route would be Rt. 71 up to the Fox River Trail in Oswego. Unfortunately, I wouldn't
    recommend this route since it has heavy traffic and not a lot of room. Rt. 71 follows the Fox River
    from Ottawa to Oswego and heads northeast. All of the other routes, which would be less traveled,
    are going to north or east. So, any other route will be longer than Rt. 71.

    I'd suggest getting a copy of the Illinois DOT bicycle maps covering the area you are going to
    travel. These maps color code each road based on its suitability for bicycling. I don't always agree
    with their recommendations, but it's certainly a good start.

    If nothing else, once you get north of I-80, you can just head out on some back country roads. They
    mostly follow a grid, and there will be a road every mile. Some sections might be gravel, but they
    aren't bad and you can likely go around most of them.

    Todd Kuzma Heron Bicycles Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery LaSalle, IL 815-223-1776
    http://www.heronbicycles.com http://www.tullios.com

  3. Will S .

    Will S . Guest

    Thanks. I definitely don't want to ride along route 71. I was wondering if anyone had experience
    riding the backroads that seem to follow the countours of the river fairly closely. Thanks again.

  4. Scic

    Scic Guest

    >From: Will S. [email protected]

    >I want to connect from the I & M Canal trail in or near Ottawa to the Fox River Trail in Aurora.

    Not even the Grand Illinois Trail shows a connection.

    However, the following roads rated suitable (except where noted) on the ILL Bicycle Map 3 will get
    you to Oswego: County 4 (off Rt 71 just west of town) east to County 25 North to US Rt 52 East (may
    be North?) to County 2 North to IL 126 East to County 16 North into Oswego.

    First half mile of County 4 is rated Caution as is US Rt 52 east of IL Rt 47 for three quarter
    miles. Also IL 126 for one eight mile to County 16, which is also a caution for the last half mile
    into Oswego.

    Hope this helps. Good luck.

    Sig Chicago

  5. Will S .

    Will S . Guest

    > >From: Will S. [email protected]
    >
    > >I want to connect from the I & M Canal trail in or near Ottawa to the Fox River Trail in Aurora.
    >
    > Not even the Grand Illinois Trail shows a connection.
    >
    > However, the following roads rated suitable (except where noted) on the ILL Bicycle Map 3 will get
    > you to Oswego: County 4 (off Rt 71 just west of town) east to County 25 North to US Rt 52 East
    > (may be North?) to County 2 North to IL 126 East to County 16 North into Oswego.
    >
    > First half mile of County 4 is rated Caution as is US Rt 52 east of IL Rt 47 for three quarter
    > miles. Also IL 126 for one eight mile to County 16, which is also a caution for the last half mile
    > into Oswego.
    >
    > Hope this helps. Good luck.
    >
    > Sig Chicago

    Thank you VERY much Sig. I don't know why I didn't think to look at my collection of Illinois Bike
    Maps (of course now that I am, I see that I have 1,2,4,5,6 and 7!) My original plan was to ride the
    Grand Illinois Trail in 10 days, but as I find myself limited to six days, I am considering a
    shorter route that includes aspects of the GIT (I seriously doubt that I'm up for the 90 miles per
    day that the GIT would require to finish in six days). I was trying to at least check out the
    portion of the trail that heads south out of Chicago and ride on part of the I & M (and then connect
    to the Fox River Trail at Aurora). Maybe I'll do that, but hell, maybe I'll just take a pleasure
    jaunt on the prairie path to the Fox River Trail and catch the Northern leg of the GIT at McHenry.
    Probably more than enough riding for my out of shape old butt. By the way, any good motel
    recommendations would be also be appreciated. Thanks again! Will S.

  6. Will S .

    Will S . Guest

    > >From: Will S. [email protected]
    >
    > >By the way, any good motel recommendations would be also be appreciated.
    >
    > Just pick 2 or 3 chains, Google your way to their web sites, plug in Illinois and see either a map
    > or list of locations. Or, Google your way to the town you want to stay in or near, click on
    > Chamber of Commerce to see list of all motels there.
    >
    > Sig Chicago

    Thanks again Sig. I should have been more specific. Finding motels is no problem. I have Microsoft
    Streets and Trips and it shows most of them along my route(s). I was wondering if anyone had any
    experience based recommondations along the line of "I stayed at Mom's Motel. It was only $20 and Mom
    wakes you up with breakfast in bed"