Northern New Jersey (Englewood Cliffs)

elrohwen

Jul 13, 2003
I posted this in the Cafe, but I figured I'd put it up here too. Next summer I'm going to be doing an internship in Englewood Cliffs, NJ, and I'm wondering what the biking is like. Are there any particularly good LBS? Or great places to ride? I've never even been to New Jersey, so info on the terrain and stuff would be helpful. Thanks :)

elrohwen said:
I posted this in the Cafe, but I figured I'd put it up here too. Next summer I'm going to be doing an internship in Englewood Cliffs, NJ, and I'm wondering what the biking is like. Are there any particularly good LBS? Or great places to ride? I've never even been to New Jersey, so info on the terrain and stuff would be helpful. Thanks :)

I'm familiar with the area, but I live a little bit north of there so I can't recommend an LBS. Englewood Cliffs may not be the best biking area as it's all urban streets, but you can get to some pretty good riding just a couple miles away. There's a long stretch of 9W (bike 9) that goes north from around Ft Lee to Bear Mountain. You could also cross the George Washington Bridge into NYC and ride on the greenway there. The view from the bridge is awesome and the greenway is pretty nice too. Expect rolling hills with a few steep, but relatively short hills if you are going up to the Palisades. If you're a Mountain biker I think the only good place is Ringwood state park. Probably about an hour's drive west.

for what company?

you will prob be right on the main roadway for road cyclists in bergen county (9w)

not much legal trails near you but about 5 miles down 9w will take you to tons of trails that are unfortunatly not for mtb'rs so i usually hit it up in the early evening.

1-2hrs drive west can get you to a ton of great trails ringwood, waywayanda, diable free-ride park, lewis morris...

LBS I would recommend bicycle worshop in tenafly--about 10 min from englewood cliffs.

-Mike

Check out BCTNJ.com, a local club that hosts rides, alot of rides going on almost all year. I am not a member YET but hope to join soon, very active club.

regards Tony