northside brisbane smooth fast rides

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by [email protected], Aug 29, 2007.

  1. I am going to BNE for an extended period soon (taking my bike). I
    staying on the northside, where are some good road bike rides. I
    understand the roads are not the best there? Does anyone have any
    safe, smooth, possibly flat routes, without traffic lights, and can
    keep going without stopping for long distances without road trains
    knocking you over? Are there any velodomes near by? I found one on
    the internet at the Gold Coast :(.

    Tags:

  2. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Have a look at www.bikely.com and join up on the forum at www.roadgrime.com
    for riding questions about Brisbane. The roads are quite OK. The
    drivers, well, that's another story ... (actually most are fine).
    Velodrome at Chandler, concrete.

    Donga

  3. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    THere are some North Side posters from Brisbane on here, I used to live in Wavell Heights and often I would ride to Redcliffe via Strathpine, Petrie, Mango Hill, Redcliffe and return. or when you get to Petrie, veer left instead out to Dayboro and then back via, Samsonvale and Samford village (Great Donuts!!), if you want hills at Samford Village you can head out to Mt Nebo and back around the ridge (Sensational Ride!!). Having said that the Cleveland Bay rides are pretty good as well, but that is more kind of South Side. I can highly recommend riding up to Noosa and then catch the train back, did that a couple of times and you have to try and get in a ride down to Mt Tamborine, absoluetely awesome ride, but again VERY south side.

    You cannot avoid all traffic lights though, you have to put up with some.

    I think Cycleogical do the Redcliffe ride most sundays, but never rode with them, supposed to be quite fast.

    But maybe the current North Side residents have some more rides for you.

  4. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    There's plenty to try, though there is always the odd light and a few hills. Here's a couple:

    This is basically the 'zupps' ride which meets at 6:30am every sunday at Zupps Holden at Asley. Very flat and fast when the pace picks up.
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Redcliffe-via-Petrie-Kallangur

    Rolling hills around dayboro/petrie
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Hamilton-Samford-Dayboro-Petrie-Redcliffe-Virginia

    Shorter flatter route
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Redcliffe-via-Samford

    There is a velodrome at caboolture but it is in pretty poor condition and one at Chandler on the southside.

    Let us know if you want to hook up and we can show you some good roads.

    Adam