Northwave Aerators

jrstevens

Dec 22, 2004
Anyone used Northwave Aerators and have any feedback on fit, stiffness, etc. I noticed they were not mentioned in the recent inquiry on carbon shoes here.

JS

i went to order a pair of aerator 3-straps on sale from competitive cyclist, they were out so i was offered aerators w/ the full shebang, although my preferrence is to avoid ratchets, and i doubt the effect of the ti plates and steel rails on the top version.

got 'em in white and red, whoa, vibrant. they are sized on the large scale, i wear about a 10 in street shoes and 9.5 in cycling shoes. but you gotta throw out these comparitives with euro size and try 'em on first. i didn't.
the 42.5 pair was too big, a 42 would have it nailed. guy i knw, can wear any shoe he wants, used aerators and stated the toebox was too big, and they gave him hot spots.
funny thing, my old faves are both 42's old look and carnac legend. they both have changed their sizing since then...
fwiw, i wear 44 in shimano and 43.5 in sidi.

i sent these shoes back, bottom line, they have soles which are too flat, i prefer more curvature, as i feel more power goes to the ball of the foot where the cleat is and not to the toes on hard "pointed toe" efforts.

this, combined with my dislike of the rather frail appearing ratchet and ratchet strap system (yes, myself and others have broken sidi straps, and if one has a mishap and these thing contact the road...) had me sending them back.

i now have a pair of nike poggio III on order in a 44. just velcro, i like that.

btw, there is a new poggio ultralight avbl in europe, something along the lines of the dmt lightech, but i am needing more ventilation than a she without mesh panels will provide.

for now, my carnac legends are IT, and have been for a few years. seriously, there is nothing as stiff or stout.

jrstevens said:
Anyone used Northwave Aerators and have any feedback on fit, stiffness, etc. I noticed they were not mentioned in the recent inquiry on carbon shoes here.

JS