northwave fahrenheit

weecrackpot

Guest
Hi all,
Been thinking about treating myself to a pair
of northwave fahrenheit winter boots in the
new year,any opinion on the above shoe
and where to buy will be much appreciated,
thanks in advance.

I was thinking about getting a pair of these as I wanted to be properly protected against the elements whilst out on winter rides.

However, I spoke to someone at the local bike shop and he seemed to think they weren't that great as they were big and bulky, not to mention their expense. He seemed to think the best option was a decent pair of neoprene overshoes over one's current road shoes (wearing thick socks too).

I've gone for the latter (much cheaper) option and found it to be adequate.

No doubt the Farenheits do their job effectively, and seeing as we've got another 2 months of winter to go, maybe they are a good option.

Anyway, it's up to you I guess - how much you ride, where you live etc.

"dannyfrankszzz" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Re Northwave boots:

> I was thinking about getting a pair of these as I wanted to be properly
> protected against the elements whilst out on winter rides.
>
> However, I spoke to someone at the local bike shop and he seemed to
> think they weren't that great as they were big and bulky, not to
> mention their expense. He seemed to think the best option was a decent
> pair of neoprene overshoes over one's current road shoes (wearing thick
> socks too).
>
> I've gone for the latter (much cheaper) option and found it to be
> adequate.

I think it depends on where, when and for how long you ride.
For years I used neoprene overshoes, Goretex socks etc but always suffered
eventually when it got really cold, occasionally on-road and often off-road.
Some years ago on recommendation from this NG I purchased a pair of Shimano
W1OO's (similar to the Northwaves) and have never looked back, sure they are
more bulky but that's a trade-off I'm happy to accept.

Pete

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:53:37 GMT, "weecrackpot"
<[email protected]>:

>Been thinking about treating myself to a pair
>of northwave fahrenheit winter boots in the
>new year,any opinion on the above shoe
>and where to buy will be much appreciated,

As noted UP There ^^^ I have been using a pair for a few weeks now.
They appear to be bloody good, even if they are restricted to delta
cleats. My feet have (thus far) stayed warm and dry, but I have yet
to try them in temperatures more than a degree or two below freezing.
I have ridden 25 miles in the dark in freezing fog and not had my toes
go numb, which must be a good sign :)

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:53:37 GMT, "weecrackpot"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
> >Been thinking about treating myself to a pair
> >of northwave fahrenheit winter boots in the
> >new year,any opinion on the above shoe
> >and where to buy will be much appreciated,

> As noted UP There ^^^ I have been using a pair for a few weeks now.
> They appear to be bloody good, even if they are restricted to delta
> cleats. My feet have (thus far) stayed warm and dry, but I have yet
> to try them in temperatures more than a degree or two below freezing.
> I have ridden 25 miles in the dark in freezing fog and not had my toes
> go numb, which must be a good sign :)
>
> Guy
> --
> "then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
> blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
> onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
> around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

Pardon my ignorance guy,what are delta cleats?
will it work with look cleats?

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:36:42 GMT, "weecrackpot"
<[email protected]>:

>Pardon my ignorance guy,what are delta cleats?
>will it work with look cleats?

Look is a delta cleat - yes. It won't fit SPDs, ATACs or
what-have-you.

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:36:42 GMT, "weecrackpot"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>

> Look is a delta cleat - yes. It won't fit SPDs, ATACs or
> what-have-you.
>
> Guy
> --
> "then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
> blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
> onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
> around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

Thanks!
I didn't know look is a delta cleat as i only graduated
to clipless in the summer,now is a matter of finding
a LBS in glasgow that stocks NORTHWAVE.

"weecrackpot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I didn't know look is a delta cleat as i only graduated
> to clipless in the summer,now is a matter of finding
> a LBS in glasgow that stocks NORTHWAVE.

If you have no luck check out the Shimano W100's (although they won't accept
Look cleats so maybe not).

Pete

"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "weecrackpot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I didn't know look is a delta cleat as i only graduated
> > to clipless in the summer,now is a matter of finding
> > a LBS in glasgow that stocks NORTHWAVE.

> If you have no luck check out the Shimano W100's (although they won't

accept
> Look cleats so maybe not).
>
> Pete

Thanks pete,that's an option i'll take onboard.

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:59:56 GMT, "weecrackpot"
<[email protected]>:

>I didn't know look is a delta cleat

Delta as in triangle - I reckon any three-point fixing cleat (e.g. the
new Shimano thingy) should be fine. I wonder if anyone is using the
new Simano notLookatallohnotnotatallnotintheleastnotevenslightly
pedals yet?

Guy