northwave fahrenheit

weecrackpot

Guest
Hi all,
Been thinking about treating myself to a pair
of northwave fahrenheit winter boots in the
new year,any opinion on the above shoe
and where to buy will be much appreciated,
thanks in advance.

"dannyfrankszzz" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Re Northwave boots:

> I was thinking about getting a pair of these as I wanted to be properly
> protected against the elements whilst out on winter rides.
>
> However, I spoke to someone at the local bike shop and he seemed to
> think they weren't that great as they were big and bulky, not to
> mention their expense. He seemed to think the best option was a decent
> pair of neoprene overshoes over one's current road shoes (wearing thick
> socks too).
>
> I've gone for the latter (much cheaper) option and found it to be
> adequate.

I think it depends on where, when and for how long you ride.
For years I used neoprene overshoes, Goretex socks etc but always suffered
eventually when it got really cold, occasionally on-road and often off-road.
Some years ago on recommendation from this NG I purchased a pair of Shimano
W1OO's (similar to the Northwaves) and have never looked back, sure they are
more bulky but that's a trade-off I'm happy to accept.

Pete

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:53:37 GMT, "weecrackpot"
<[email protected]>:

>Been thinking about treating myself to a pair
>of northwave fahrenheit winter boots in the
>new year,any opinion on the above shoe
>and where to buy will be much appreciated,

As noted UP There ^^^ I have been using a pair for a few weeks now.
They appear to be bloody good, even if they are restricted to delta
cleats. My feet have (thus far) stayed warm and dry, but I have yet
to try them in temperatures more than a degree or two below freezing.
I have ridden 25 miles in the dark in freezing fog and not had my toes
go numb, which must be a good sign :)

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:53:37 GMT, "weecrackpot"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
> >Been thinking about treating myself to a pair
> >of northwave fahrenheit winter boots in the
> >new year,any opinion on the above shoe
> >and where to buy will be much appreciated,

> As noted UP There ^^^ I have been using a pair for a few weeks now.
> They appear to be bloody good, even if they are restricted to delta
> cleats. My feet have (thus far) stayed warm and dry, but I have yet
> to try them in temperatures more than a degree or two below freezing.
> I have ridden 25 miles in the dark in freezing fog and not had my toes
> go numb, which must be a good sign :)
>
> Guy
> --
> "then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
> blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
> onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
> around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

Pardon my ignorance guy,what are delta cleats?
will it work with look cleats?

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:36:42 GMT, "weecrackpot"
<[email protected]>:

>Pardon my ignorance guy,what are delta cleats?
>will it work with look cleats?

Look is a delta cleat - yes. It won't fit SPDs, ATACs or
what-have-you.

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:36:42 GMT, "weecrackpot"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>

> Look is a delta cleat - yes. It won't fit SPDs, ATACs or
> what-have-you.
>
> Guy
> --
> "then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
> blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
> onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
> around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

Thanks!
I didn't know look is a delta cleat as i only graduated
to clipless in the summer,now is a matter of finding
a LBS in glasgow that stocks NORTHWAVE.

"weecrackpot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I didn't know look is a delta cleat as i only graduated
> to clipless in the summer,now is a matter of finding
> a LBS in glasgow that stocks NORTHWAVE.

If you have no luck check out the Shimano W100's (although they won't accept
Look cleats so maybe not).

Pete

"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "weecrackpot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I didn't know look is a delta cleat as i only graduated
> > to clipless in the summer,now is a matter of finding
> > a LBS in glasgow that stocks NORTHWAVE.

> If you have no luck check out the Shimano W100's (although they won't

accept
> Look cleats so maybe not).
>
> Pete

Thanks pete,that's an option i'll take onboard.

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:59:56 GMT, "weecrackpot"
<[email protected]>:

>I didn't know look is a delta cleat

Delta as in triangle - I reckon any three-point fixing cleat (e.g. the
new Shimano thingy) should be fine. I wonder if anyone is using the
new Simano notLookatallohnotnotatallnotintheleastnotevenslightly
pedals yet?

Guy