Northwest ends its bikes fly free program with Adventure Cycling

Amh

Guest
Hi,

The United thread just reminded me that I received an e-mail from Adventure Cycling that Northwest
is ending it's bikes fly free program for members.

This is the age where the airlines are going to squeeze the passenger for every cent they can.

Andy

So what part of this do you not understand? Companies are free to raise or lower their prices, and
you're free to utilize their services or not. The airlines are sqeezing their customers, their
suppliers, and their employees in an effort to regain profitability. Their investors expect to see
some return on their money, after all.

Airline stocks that were in the $50-60 range two years ago are now selling for around $5. Since
they're such a bargain, perhaps you could buy a big bloc of them, and use your new-found clout to
tell the companies how to make a profit by selling tickets at a loss. If you can do that, I'm sure
that American, United, USAir, Delta, and a host of others will be knocking on your door.

--

alan

Anyone who believes in a liberal media has never read the "Daily Oklahoman."

"amh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> The United thread just reminded me that I received an e-mail from Adventure Cycling that Northwest
> is ending it's bikes fly free program for members.
>
> This is the age where the airlines are going to squeeze the passenger for every cent they can.
>
> Andy

Maybe they should charge for ALL checked luggage, and maybe start charging for the peanuts too!

--

Steve Juniper ([email protected])

"Tests show that a frog will passively remain in a very slowly heated frying pan until killed.
We are now conducting that experiment with ourselves on this planet with the Bush junta turning
up the heat."
S.Juniper

"alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So what part of this do you not understand? Companies are free to raise
or
> lower their prices, and you're free to utilize their services or not. The airlines are sqeezing
> their customers, their suppliers, and their
employees
> in an effort to regain profitability. Their investors expect to see some return on their money,
> after all.
>
> Airline stocks that were in the $50-60 range two years ago are now selling for around $5. Since
> they're such a bargain, perhaps you could buy a big bloc of them, and use your new-found clout to
> tell the companies how to
make
> a profit by selling tickets at a loss. If you can do that, I'm sure that American, United, USAir,
> Delta, and a host of others will be knocking on your door.
>
> --
>
> alan
>
> Anyone who believes in a liberal media has never read the "Daily
Oklahoman."

> "amh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi,
> >
> > The United thread just reminded me that I received an e-mail from Adventure Cycling that
> > Northwest is ending it's bikes fly free program for members.
> >
> > This is the age where the airlines are going to squeeze the passenger for every cent they can.
> >
> > Andy

"alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> So what part of this do you not understand? Companies are free to raise or lower their prices, and
> you're free to utilize their services or not. The airlines are sqeezing their customers, their
> suppliers, and their employees in an effort to regain profitability. Their investors expect to see
> some return on their money, after all.
>
> Airline stocks that were in the $50-60 range two years ago are now selling for around $5. Since
> they're such a bargain, perhaps you could buy a big bloc of them, and use your new-found clout to
> tell the companies how to make a profit by selling tickets at a loss. If you can do that, I'm sure
> that American, United, USAir, Delta, and a host of others will be knocking on your door.
>
> --
>
> alan

I understand all of it.

What I don't understand is why cyclists are singled out. Golfers traveling with golf clubs that
weigh more than my bike are not charged extra. Skiers are not charged extra for their ski bags. Even
though the ski bag is not counted in the 2 piece baggage limit.

I've seen folks checking in with more weight and greater volume of baggage than I have with my boxed
bike and panniers. And don't give me the line that the airlines take more care when the handlers see
a bike box. I've seen my bike box tossed around.

Yes airlines are losing money. But what do you expect from a company who can charge $900 for one
seat and $300 for the next seat over.

Its simple charge what it costs to move that seat to its destination. Add your profit margin and
"extras" such as food and beverage, and you've figured out what the fare is. If you can't fill the
plane then use a smaller plane or cancle the service.

Andy

> Anyone who believes in a liberal media has never read the "Daily Oklahoman."
>

> "amh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi,
> >
> > The United thread just reminded me that I received an e-mail from Adventure Cycling that
> > Northwest is ending it's bikes fly free program for members.
> >
> > This is the age where the airlines are going to squeeze the passenger for every cent they can.
> >
> > Andy

"Steve Juniper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Maybe they should charge for ALL checked luggage, and maybe start charging for the peanuts
> too!

I'd gladly pay a little extra, if I knew for sure it would get there when I
did. Until then, call me Captain Carry-on...

Matt O.

(from an AMR site last updated in Jan 2002. Charges have increased.)

Sports items

Certain items, such as skis and golf clubs, will be accepted as one item under the free allowance.
Some restrictions may apply outside the United States. The following items are free in place of one
62 inch/157 cm bag in the free baggage allowance: archery, backpacks, boogie/knee boards, bowling
equipment, fishing equipment, hockey/lacrosse sticks, shooting equipment, skateboards, and
snowboards.

Excess charges always apply to: antlers, bicycles, scuba tanks, surfboards, wind surfing equipment,
and hang gliding equipment.

(snip)

Sports Equipment

Sports items must be packed to withstand normal handling. If connecting to another airline, the
other airline's charges also apply. Service Charges - One way only

The following items are free if in place of 62 in. bag. If in addition to allotment, US$50 excess
charge applies.

Archery Equipment Hockey/LaCross Stick Bowling Equipment Backpack with frame Shooting equipment Ski
Equipment Boogieboard/Knee Board Skateboard Fishing Equipment Snowboard Golf Equipment

The following items are never free for travel from the US/Canada to the Caribbean and Mexico and may
never be substituted for a free bag. Excess charge always applies. Antlers $50 Scuba Tank $50
Bicycle $50 Surfboard $75 Box for Bike $20 Windsurfing Equip. $75 Bag for Bike $10 Hang-gliding
Equip. $75

It would appear the cyclists are merely paying for oversize baggage like any other passenger. I
suspect that skis are way beyong the 62 inch limit, but when airlines routinely fill planes with ski
groups heading to popular destinations, it makes sense to accomodate them. When was the last time a
group of cyclists had a big charter trip? Airlines go where the money is, and I'm afraid that
catering to cyclists just isn't profitable.

--

alan

Anyone who believes in a liberal media has never read the "Daily Oklahoman."

"amh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > --
> >
> > alan
>
> I understand all of it.
>
> What I don't understand is why cyclists are singled out. Golfers traveling with golf clubs that
> weigh more than my bike are not charged extra. Skiers are not charged extra for their ski bags.
> Even though the ski bag is not counted in the 2 piece baggage limit.
>
> I've seen folks checking in with more weight and greater volume of baggage than I have with my
> boxed bike and panniers. And don't give me the line that the airlines take more care when the
> handlers see a bike box. I've seen my bike box tossed around.
>
> Yes airlines are losing money. But what do you expect from a company who can charge $900 for one
> seat and $300 for the next seat over.
>
> Its simple charge what it costs to move that seat to its destination. Add your profit margin and
> "extras" such as food and beverage, and you've figured out what the fare is. If you can't fill the
> plane then use a smaller plane or cancle the service.
>
> Andy

"alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> (from an AMR site last updated in Jan 2002. Charges have increased.)

<snip>

> It would appear the cyclists are merely paying for oversize baggage like any other passenger. I
> suspect that skis are way beyong the 62 inch limit, but when airlines routinely fill planes with
> ski groups heading to popular destinations, it makes sense to accomodate them. When was the last
> time a group of cyclists had a big charter trip? Airlines go where the money is, and I'm afraid
> that catering to cyclists just isn't profitable.
>
> --
>
> alan

You certainly made your point. I don't mind being squeezed a bit but the airlines, I think, are
going overboard on charges. They should make their profit on the fares not "service charges". If I
were charged an extra $80 on the airfare I'd think that $40 charge each way to take the bike would
be worth it.

I just looked up info for flights to New Orleans from NYC for May. One airline charges over $1000
and another $300. Both flights were with a Saturday night stay and were not direct in coach class.
If you went to the supermarket and saw a gallon of ice cream for $3 you'd wonder what is so
wonderful about the ice cream that was selling for $10 a gallon.

I'm going to learn to pack my bike into 2 luggage sized boxes.

Andy

We have two local groceries that sell the same brand of ice cream. One store charges about
$3.50/gallon, and the other about $5. So who do we buy from?

Seriously, the 2 box idea is good, but rmember that they both count toward your baggage allowance.
It may be a better idea to ship the bike via FedEx or UPS. I looked on the FedEx site last night,
but couldn't determine if they'd ship something as large as a bike. They WILL ship a large, heavy
air conditioner, as I learned last summer, but size is an iimportant factor. I came across a sports
specialty shipping site too, so look around. LAB has (or had) a bikes fly free program, but I
believe it was limited to just a few airlines. One other thought, and that's to send it via a bus
line. They carry freight too, but you'll have to go to a bus terminal to pick it up.

--

alan wrote:

> We have two local groceries that sell the same brand of ice cream. One store charges about
> $3.50/gallon, and the other about $5. So who do we buy from?
>
> Seriously, the 2 box idea is good, but rmember that they both count toward your baggage allowance.
> It may be a better idea to ship the bike via FedEx or UPS. I looked on the FedEx site last night,
> but couldn't determine if they'd ship something as large as a bike. They WILL ship a large, heavy
> air conditioner, as I learned last summer, but size is an iimportant factor. I came across a
> sports specialty shipping site too, so look around. LAB has (or had) a bikes fly free program, but
> I believe it was limited to just a few airlines. One other thought, and that's to send it via a
> bus line. They carry freight too, but you'll have to go to a bus terminal to pick it up.

FedEx will ship a bicycle so long as it is under a specific dimension (go to UPS.COM and it if fits
for UPS it will fit for FedEx). As a rule of thumb, one of those hard-shell cases is designed to
meet the dimensions. If you're willing to risk shipping w/o insurance, it can be relatively
inexpensive for ground service (maybe $25 between middle of the U.S. and a coast, with a few
thousand dollars of insurance costing another $10 (UPS charges a bit more, but with UPS a supervisor
crushes the box rather than having some hourly temp damage it like at FedEx so you get what you pay
for)). Air service is more expensive, with next day priority delivery running around $175. I suspect
that now they are x-raying all baggage with subsequent optional searching, it is a lot simpler to
ship the bicycle than to check it as luggage.

-Bill Asher