Norway massacre.

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by tonyzackery, Jul 23, 2011.

1. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

RIP to the victims with sympathies to the families.

Nut jobs with automatic(!) weapons - what more can you say? I hope there is an investigation into how and where he acquired the auto weapons as Norway has a civilian ban on auto weapon ownership.

Tags:
    Reid2 and (deleted member) like this.

2. Aussie_Al

Aussie_Al New Member

Total nutjob - sounds like Jared Loughner all over again

3. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

Yea, that was really sad. I guess bad things can happen in every country, but I don't normally think of Norway when something like that happens. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif

Positive thoughts and prayers to those people....

4. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

The table below shows the homicide rate per 100,000 inhabitants (wikipedia). Norway was much lower than the likes of Australia, UK and Canada.

Country Most recent [​IMG] El Salvador 71 [​IMG] Honduras 67 [​IMG] Jamaica 60 [​IMG] Guatemala 52 [​IMG] Venezuela 49 [​IMG] Trinidad and Tobago 43 [​IMG] Burundi 37 [​IMG] Lesotho 37 [​IMG] Democratic Republic of the Congo 35 [​IMG] Saint Kitts and Nevis 35 [​IMG] Colombia 35 [​IMG] South Africa (excluding attempts) 34 [​IMG] Belize 33 [​IMG] Central African Republic 30 [​IMG] Rwanda 27 [​IMG] Sudan 27 [​IMG] Panama 24 [​IMG] Zambia 23 [​IMG] Bahamas 22 [​IMG] Brazil 22 [​IMG] Dominican Republic 22 [​IMG] Haiti 22 [​IMG] Ethiopia 21 [​IMG] Guyana 21 [​IMG] Niger 21 [​IMG] Congo 20 [​IMG] Mozambique 20 [​IMG] Chad 19 [​IMG] Ecuador 19 [​IMG] Equatorial Guinea 19 [​IMG] North Korea 19 [​IMG] Guinea-Bissau 18 [​IMG] Malawi 18 [​IMG] Mali 18 [​IMG] Namibia 18 [​IMG] Saint Vincent and the Grenadines 18 [​IMG] Barbados 17 [​IMG] Liberia 17 [​IMG] Eritrea 16 [​IMG] Gabon 16 [​IMG] Myanmar 16 [​IMG] Saint Lucia 16 [​IMG] Mauritania 15 [​IMG] Mexico 15 [​IMG] Papua New Guinea 15 [​IMG] Russia (excluding attempts) 15 [​IMG] Benin 14 [​IMG] Gambia 14 [​IMG] Suriname 14 [​IMG] Swaziland 14 [​IMG] Togo 14 [​IMG] Nicaragua 13 [​IMG] Timor-Leste 13 [​IMG] Botswana 12 [​IMG] Comoros 12 [​IMG] Madagascar 12 [​IMG] Paraguay 12 [​IMG] Bolivia 11 [​IMG] Cape Verde 11 [​IMG] Costa Rica 11 [​IMG] Kazakhstan 11 [​IMG] Nauru 10 [​IMG] Lithuania 9.0 [​IMG] Indonesia 8.9 [​IMG] Uganda 8.7 [​IMG] Antigua and Barbuda 8.5 [​IMG] Seychelles 8.4 [​IMG] Zimbabwe 8.4 [​IMG] Mongolia 7.9 [​IMG] Kyrgyzstan 7.9 [​IMG] Tanzania 7.7 [​IMG] Georgia 7.6 [​IMG] Sri Lanka 7.4 [​IMG] Iraq 7.3 [​IMG] Moldova 7.2 [​IMG] Estonia 7.1 [​IMG] Pakistan 6.8 [​IMG] Kiribati 6.6 [​IMG] Philippines 6.4 [​IMG] Dominica 5.9 [​IMG] Thailand 5.9 [​IMG] Uruguay 5.8 [​IMG] Belarus 5.6 [​IMG] Argentina 5.5 [​IMG] Cuba 5.5 [​IMG] Ukraine 5.4 [​IMG] São Tomé and Príncipe 5.3 [​IMG] Laos 5.2 [​IMG] United States 5.0 [​IMG] Grenada 4.9 [​IMG] Latvia (including attempts) 4.8 [​IMG] Albania 4.5 [​IMG] Turkmenistan 4.1 [​IMG] Yemen 4.0 [​IMG] Palestine 3.9 [​IMG] Mauritius 3.8 [​IMG] Turkey 3.8 [​IMG] Montenegro (excluding attempts) 3.7 [​IMG] Kenya 3.6 [​IMG] Afghanistan 3.4 [​IMG] Djibouti 3.4 [​IMG] Cambodia 3.2 [​IMG] Peru 3.2 [​IMG] Somalia 3.2 [​IMG] Uzbekistan 3.2 [​IMG] Syria 3.0 [​IMG] Iran 2.9 [​IMG] Libya 2.9 [​IMG] Fiji 2.8 [​IMG] India 2.8 [​IMG] Liechtenstein (excluding attempts) 2.8 [​IMG] Bangladesh 2.6 [​IMG] Maldives 2.6 [​IMG] Sierra Leone 2.6 [​IMG] Armenia 2.5 [​IMG] Finland (excluding attempts) 2.5 [​IMG] Israel 2.1 [​IMG] Bulgaria (excluding attempts) 2.3 [​IMG] Cameroon 2.3 [​IMG] Malaysia 2.3 [​IMG] Romania (excluding attempts) 2.3 [​IMG] South Korea 2.3 [​IMG] Nepal 2.2 [​IMG] New Zealand (excluding attempts) 2.2 [​IMG] Azerbaijan 2.0 [​IMG] Serbia (excluding attempts) 1.97 [​IMG] Czech Republic (excluding attempts) 1.94 [​IMG] Vietnam 1.9 [​IMG] Belgium (excluding attempts) 1.82 [​IMG] Canada (excluding attempts) 1.81 [​IMG] Bosnia and Herzegovina 1.8 [​IMG] Marshall Islands 1.8 [​IMG] Macedonia (excluding attempts) 1.76 [​IMG] Jordan 1.75 [​IMG] Slovakia (excluding attempts) 1.74 [​IMG] Chile 1.7 [​IMG] Ghana 1.7 [​IMG] Tajikistan 1.7 [​IMG] Tunisia 1.7 [​IMG] Croatia (excluding attempts) 1.67 [​IMG] Solomon Islands 1.5 [​IMG] Malta (excluding attempts) 1.46 [​IMG] Luxembourg (excluding attempts) 1.45 [​IMG] Bhutan 1.4 [​IMG] Kuwait 1.4 [​IMG] Hungary (excluding attempts) 1.38 [​IMG] Ireland (excluding attempts) 1.35 [​IMG] France (excluding attempts) 1.31 [​IMG] Andorra 1.3 [​IMG] Australia (excluding attempts) 1.3 [​IMG] Nigeria 1.3 [​IMG] United Kingdom (excluding attempts) 1.28 [​IMG] Poland (excluding attempts) 1.21 [​IMG] China 1.2 [​IMG] Portugal (excluding attempts) 1.17 [​IMG] Cyprus (excluding attempts) 1.14 [​IMG] Italy (excluding attempts) 1.10 [​IMG] Samoa 1.1 [​IMG] Senegal 1.1 [​IMG] Greece (excluding attempts) 1.05 [​IMG] Denmark (excluding attempts) 1.01 [​IMG] Qatar 1.0 [​IMG] Tonga 1.0 [​IMG] Netherlands (excluding attempts) 0.93 [​IMG] United Arab Emirates 0.92 [​IMG] Micronesia, Federated States of 0.9 [​IMG] Saudi Arabia 0.9 [​IMG] Spain (excluding attempts) 0.90 [​IMG] Vanuatu 0.9 [​IMG] Sweden (excluding attempts) 0.89 [​IMG] Germany (excluding attempts) 0.86 [​IMG] Japan (including attempts) 0.86 [​IMG] Bahrain 0.8 [​IMG] Egypt 0.8 [​IMG] Switzerland (excluding attempts) 0.71 [​IMG] Algeria 0.64 [​IMG] Norway (excluding attempts) 0.60 [​IMG] Oman 0.6 [​IMG] Lebanon 0.57 [​IMG] Slovenia (excluding attempts) 0.55 [​IMG] Brunei 0.50 [​IMG] Burkina Faso 0.5 [​IMG] Austria (excluding attempts) 0.48 [​IMG] Morocco 0.4 [​IMG] Singapore 0.38 [​IMG] Iceland (excluding attempts) 0.00 [​IMG] Monaco 0.0 [​IMG] Palau 0.0

5. Aussie_Al

Aussie_Al New Member

Yes there was one in Australia (Tasmania to be exact) in the early 1990s.

6. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

Ditto on the sympathies.

From what I've read, he TRIED to get a full-auto (fires as long as trigger is pulled and ammo in magazine) AK-47, but couldn't. He used a suppressed Ruger Mini, which is a semi-auto carbine. Semi-auto means one round fired for every trigger pull (many, many pistols and rifles are semi-auto), and is also referred to as an "auto-loader". The mainstream media often confuses the term because they don't know squat about guns.

7. tonyzackery

I've read reports that he used an auto rifle of some sort. Have doubts that a semi-auto could inflict that kind of carnage in so little time.

Nonetheless, also reported that the perp was a racist and nationalist with strong ties to far right-wing Christian fundamentalists in Norway. Gotta love that combination of attributes/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif...

8. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

You don't shoot much, do you? With a large magazine, I could take out all kinds of targets at distance with a semi-auto, particularly if it's suppressed ("silencers" don't exist--another media fail). Full auto is actually MORE difficult to control and put rounds on target. That's why the M-16 was re-released to the military as semi-auto only after its initial full-auto version. A trained sniper can do lots of damage with a bolt-action rifle in a very short amount of time (think Aug 1, 1966 and Charles Whitman--the Texas Clock Tower Massacre).

Jason

9. tonyzackery

LOL! Pipe down, pal.
    Don't have to "shoot much" to know the extra time semi-auto takes over full auto to inflict carnage.
    Are you implying the Norway nut was a trained sniper?
    90+ dead says auto weapon(s) to me. You choose to believe what you want, and in the end, it doesn't really matter who's wrong and definitely not worth my time arguing with you about...end.

10. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

He went to a youth camp on an island, disguised as a police officer, and the police were ignoring emergency calls at first from the island because of the bomb he set off in a government building a few hours earlier. The youths at the camp didn't have anywhere to go to get away. He just walked around shooting them for quite some time.

I'm not saying he was a trained sniper (don't know that). I was just using that as an example that even a bolt-action (much slower than a semi-auto) can be used to harm many. Here's where you can read up more on the attacks, including his use of a Ruger Mini-14 (a semi-auto carbine):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway_massacre

If you still think full-auto is necessary or more desirable for mass casualties, you watch too many movies--and clearly don't do any recreational shooting (I do and have for quite a few years). This has nothing to do with belief--it's about facts...

11. Aussie_Al

Aussie_Al New Member

Sadly had the camp counselors been armed they could have prevented most of the deaths

According to his manifesto he was anti racist, pro israel and anti muslim. What a combination.

May those poor children rest in peace

12. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

68 casualties over a period of approximately 90 minutes, easily a semi auto. On top of that, he had his first 20 or so gathered around him when he was impersonating a police officer. Tony, the terrorist had military training and a trained person can fire a semi auto nearly as fast as a fully automatic rifle. I did it with an M-14 which kicks a lot more than a mini-14.

13. Reid2

Reid2 Member

=he is amazingly good looking...so was Ted Bundy.

=these killers are always males (a clue is found in that, I think)

=they are spontaneous mutations, occurring in all cultures and all times,
    but, not all cultures and times have semi-auto rifles.

=he's nuts and will not be released ever, no, but...oh man, it's just so horrible,
    and Norway of all places...for once, it was not Texas.

I can't conceive of what that mind thought, if I could, I'd be nuts, too.

14. tonyzackery

Reports that he was homosexual.
    Reports that he was indeed a racist in the sense that he went on his rampage at a camp that promoted immigration in Norway.
    Reports that he was a Nazi sympathizer.
    Many different aspects and conflicting information out there - even the shooting death toll has been reduced to 70-something.

One fact remains - a kook with a gun (auto or otherwise) is an extremely dangerous individual to any person he/she gets in his/her sights...

15. Reid2

Reid2 Member

Oh, well OK. I'm a homosexual too.

Whew, at least the Norway guy isn't all bad.

And I sure wouldn't throw him out of bed.

I'd just make sure he was not locked and loaded

(((is sick humor acceptable in Bike Cafe???))

; )

Ans: NOooooooooo

That is the sickest posting i ever committed. Forgive me?

The victims of the killer are not laughing...me, neither.

16. Aussie_Al

Aussie_Al New Member

I read he was anti racist but also anti immigration

17. tonyzackery

I've read that in some published reports as well. Seems rather oxymoronic to me though...Appears the perp was rather enigmatic, among other things...

18. Reid2

Reid2 Member

It's all so horrible, but it seems like he's just an aberration, they happen,

and he =must= be insane, he has, apparently a sense of destiny and purpose,

and no ability to feel guilt. He stood to gain nothing, but what he expected to be...gratitude?

For killing his own people? He's insane and will be put away for life, at least.

It would not make sense to kill him, though that is what would happen in the USA.

I have no feelings of mercy for him, but I have no right to say "he should be killed too."

quote of his helpless, court-appointed lawyer,

"He believes that he's in a war and he believes that
    when you're in a war you can do things like that without pleading guilty,"
    Mr Lippestad said on Tuesday.

Look at him in that police car? He looks like he feels...fulfilled?
    [​IMG]

eh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14303363

19. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I hear the guy is being taken to a facility that is more like a vacation retreat than a prison.