UK and Europe · Public discussion

Norwich 50/100 Route Change

Started by turkeytickler · · Last activity · 5 posts · 357 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
12 June 2005
Last activity
14 June 2005
Original author
turkeytickler
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
357
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Did anyone else here do the Norwich 50/100?

    How did they feeel about the new route?

    I thought the wait for the ferry was a serious bottleneck especially
    when its wet and cold like it was this morning, and I thought the road
    surfaces in some places were appalling - the p*n*t*r* fairy must have
    thought it was christmas!

    I wonder how much the re route was influenced by other (non cycling)
    parties?

    This was my third year in a row and I wont be doing it again if the
    route is the same next year.....

    tt

  2. Here's the write up in the EDP..

    http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/News/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=edponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED12%20Jun%202005%2018%3A38%3A11%3A783

    "1500 cyclists strengthen heart charity"

    By Rachel Buller, 12 June 2005 EDP

    "With hearts pounding and limbs aching, more than 1500 cyclists pedaled into
    the Norwich Cathedral grounds to a heroes' welcome this afternoon.

    They had just cycled the length and breadth of Norfolk for the British Heart
    Foundation Bike Ride - raising thousands of pounds for every mile they
    managed.

    A record number of people of all ages and all levels of fitness took part in
    the event and could chose between a 50 mile or 100 mile route.

    The bike ride, organised by Bike Events and supported by VisitNorwich,
    kicked off at 7am from City Hall and finished in the cathedral grounds.

    In between, the route took the cyclists all over Norfolk through Strumpshaw,
    Brundall, out to the coast and even on a voyage on the Reedham Ferry across
    the River Yare.

    Stephanie Adams, the British Heart Foundation's regional spokesperson said:
    "Thank you to everyone involved in the ride for their support.

    "Last year we raised over £58,000 and this year we hope to well and truly
    beat this. All funds raised support the BHF's life-saving research to help
    vulnerable men, women and children. Heart disease is still the UK's single
    biggest killer."

    Cyclists were welcomed at the finish line with medals presented by Norfolk
    based author Bill de Havilland, who began supporting the charity after
    suffering from high blood pressure which culminated in a stroke 14 years
    ago.

    To wind down and relax their tired limbs, the riders were also treated to
    some refreshments and live music.

    Geoffrey Skipper, executive director for VisitNorwich, completed the
    100-mile ride for the sixth year.

    "I've really enjoyed taking part in the ride again this year and the new
    route has offered some great variety and an unusual trip on the Reedham
    Ferry. I hope the event raises a lot of money through riders' sponsorship
    for the charity's vital work."

    Two of the youngest participants were 12-year-olds Ben Shreeve and Jason
    Ledger who were proudly wearing their medals.

    Ben, from Old Costessey, near Norwich, said: "My legs have just gone back to
    normal and we have been back for about half an hour. I do sometimes go on
    bike rides but I haven't done any training. It is for a really good cause
    and I wanted to feel like I achieved something."

    His friend Jason, from Keswick, near Norwich, added: "It was great fun but
    at the end it was really hard, and when it was still another eight miles to
    go I thought the end was a lot closer which was tough."

    For more information on next year's British Heart Foundation Norwich 100/50
    Bike Ride and on BHF Help a Heart week, please free phone 0800 389 9750 or
    see www.bhf.org.uk/norwichride."

    Cheers, helen s

  3. Yep, me and my brother did it as our first century - If you were there, I
    was the one on the Black birdy folding bike, with a spare tyre on the back!

    The wait for the ferry was ridiculous!! After waiting for 40 mins to get on,
    it took another 20 to get warmed up again!!

    The road surface was a bit dodgy in places, I felt sorry for the road
    riders, the first few miles must have been a pain on skinny tyres, and I saw
    plenty of people stopping with punctures...

    Michael

    "turkeytickler" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Did anyone else here do the Norwich 50/100?

    How did they feeel about the new route?

    I thought the wait for the ferry was a serious bottleneck especially when
    its wet and cold like it was this morning, and I thought the road surfaces
    in some places were appalling - the p*n*t*r* fairy must have thought it
    was christmas!

    I wonder how much the re route was influenced by other (non cycling)
    parties?

    This was my third year in a row and I wont be doing it again if the route
    is the same next year.....

    tt

  4. Markul said:

    Yep, me and my brother did it as our first century - If you were there, I
    was the one on the Black birdy folding bike, with a spare tyre on the back!

    The wait for the ferry was ridiculous!! After waiting for 40 mins to get on,
    it took another 20 to get warmed up again!!

    The road surface was a bit dodgy in places, I felt sorry for the road
    riders, the first few miles must have been a pain on skinny tyres, and I saw
    plenty of people stopping with punctures...

    Michael

    "turkeytickler" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Did anyone else here do the Norwich 50/100?

    How did they feeel about the new route?

    I thought the wait for the ferry was a serious bottleneck especially when
    its wet and cold like it was this morning, and I thought the road surfaces
    in some places were appalling - the p*n*t*r* fairy must have thought it
    was christmas!

    I wonder how much the re route was influenced by other (non cycling)
    parties?

    This was my third year in a row and I wont be doing it again if the route
    is the same next year.....

    tt


    I saw you! Well done - it must have been a killer on a folder!

  5. Markul said:

    Yep, me and my brother did it as our first century - If you were there, I
    was the one on the Black birdy folding bike, with a spare tyre on the back!

    I saw you a few times - well done !

    Quoted message said:

    The wait for the ferry was ridiculous!! After waiting for 40 mins to get on,
    it took another 20 to get warmed up again!!

    We had a 55min wait for the ferry

    Quoted message said:

    The road surface was a bit dodgy in places, I felt sorry for the road
    riders, the first few miles must have been a pain on skinny tyres, and I saw
    plenty of people stopping with punctures...

    I got one p*nct*re just as I approached the back of the queue for the ferry,
    at least I didn't loose any time fixing it, but did have to pick up the bike
    and run with it (upside down) to keep up with the queue. Only p*nct*re
    in >2600miles on the Conti GatorSkins :-(

    My second century and my wife's first, we enjoyed it a lot apart form
    the wait for the ferry.

    Doug

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.