NOS tires -- safe?

Matt O'Toole

Guest
I've always been wary of old tires, even NOS (new old stock). But is my
concern warranted? If they're stored in the dark and away from sources of
ozone, are NOS tires as safe as "fresh" ones?

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> I've always been wary of old tires, even NOS (new old stock). But is
> my concern warranted? If they're stored in the dark and away from
> sources of ozone, are NOS tires as safe as "fresh" ones?
>
> Matt O.

Tubulars are even better this way ;)
So my guess is that it won't hurt a clincher.
--
Perre
I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:05:49 +0000, Per Elmsäter wrote:

> Matt O'Toole wrote:
>> I've always been wary of old tires, even NOS (new old stock). But is
>> my concern warranted? If they're stored in the dark and away from
>> sources of ozone, are NOS tires as safe as "fresh" ones?
>>
>> Matt O.

> Tubulars are even better this way ;)
> So my guess is that it won't hurt a clincher.

It does depend on how long they have been stored.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored
_`\(,_ | by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." --Ralph Waldo
(_)/ (_) | Emerson

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> I've always been wary of old tires, even NOS (new old stock). But is my
> concern warranted? If they're stored in the dark and away from sources of
> ozone, are NOS tires as safe as "fresh" ones?

Yes, unless they're ancient cotton cord tires. However those have been
pretty much extinct for the last 40 years.

Some people, myself included, believe that aged tires are slighly more
resistant to certain types of punctures than fresh ones.

Other folks will tell you that we're self deluded.

Sheldon "Oldies But Goodies" Brown
| Have you seen the Gettysburg Powerpoint Presentation? |
| http://www.norvig.com/Gettysburg/ |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

>Matt O'Toole wrote:
>
>> I've always been wary of old tires, even NOS (new old stock). But is my
>> concern warranted? If they're stored in the dark and away from sources of
>> ozone, are NOS tires as safe as "fresh" ones?

>Yes, unless they're ancient cotton cord tires. However those have been
>pretty much extinct for the last 40 years.
>
>Some people, myself included, believe that aged tires are slighly more
>resistant to certain types of punctures than fresh ones.
>
>Other folks will tell you that we're self deluded.
>
>Sheldon "Oldies But Goodies" Brown

Regardless, I miss hearing Julian DeVries say "tooboolars."
--
Live simply so that others may simply live

In article <[email protected]>,
Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

> Matt O'Toole wrote:
>
> > I've always been wary of old tires, even NOS (new old stock). But is my
> > concern warranted? If they're stored in the dark and away from sources of
> > ozone, are NOS tires as safe as "fresh" ones?

> Yes, unless they're ancient cotton cord tires. However those have been
> pretty much extinct for the last 40 years.
>
> Some people, myself included, believe that aged tires are slighly more
> resistant to certain types of punctures than fresh ones.

The surface of new rubber on a tire is wetter. Road debris
can adhere more to a new tire, than an older one that has
lost some of the plasticizers. Also the tire surface
oxidizes into a dry powder, making it less likely to
adhere to road debris.

--
Michael Press

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> I've always been wary of old tires, even NOS (new old stock). But is
> my concern warranted? If they're stored in the dark and away from
> sources of ozone, are NOS tires as safe as "fresh" ones?
>
> Matt O.

The rubber itself doesn't support the integrity of the tire so much as the
nylon/kevlar/whatever weave. Even if a tire's dry-rotting, I still ride it,
provided that the bead looks to be in good shape, as that's usually the
first part of the tire to fail if the tread is okay.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 02:47:51 -0400, Matt O'Toole
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I've always been wary of old tires, even NOS (new old stock). But is my
>concern warranted? If they're stored in the dark and away from sources of
>ozone, are NOS tires as safe as "fresh" ones?

In my experience, black tires stored as noted tend to be reliable for
many years, but not forever. Exceptions happen, but I've generally
found that if the tire doesn't show surface cracking when inflated,
it's going to be OK most of the time. OTOH, I've had a couple of low
mileage tires on old bikes which showed no signs of deterioration
(even when inflated) which developed carcass ply rips when ridden.
Apparently, sometimes it's the cords that deteriorate rather than the
rubber...and you can't see that problem until the failure happens.

I would avoid putting a questionable NOS tire on the front, just to be
safe.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:05:49 +0000, Per Elmsäter wrote:
>
> > Matt O'Toole wrote:
> >> I've always been wary of old tires, even NOS (new old stock). But is
> >> my concern warranted? If they're stored in the dark and away from
> >> sources of ozone, are NOS tires as safe as "fresh" ones?
> >>
> >> Matt O.

> > Tubulars are even better this way ;)
> > So my guess is that it won't hurt a clincher.

> It does depend on how long they have been stored.

Some guy named Lance rides NOS tires that have been aged for 7 years in
a "wine cellar".

He won 7 Tour de France

Is there a correlation?

HAND

P.S..... David, Did you know Mario Savio???

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:44:26 GMT, H M Leary <[email protected]> wrote:

>Some guy named Lance rides NOS tires that have been aged for 7 years in
>a "wine cellar".
>
>He won 7 Tour de France
>
>Is there a correlation?

Correlation, yes. Causative relationship, I doubt it.

Jasper

Jasper Janssen wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:44:26 GMT, H M Leary <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Some guy named Lance rides NOS tires that have been aged for 7 years
>> in a "wine cellar".
>>
>> He won 7 Tour de France
>>
>> Is there a correlation?

> Correlation, yes. Causative relationship, I doubt it.
>
> Jasper

Are you trying to say he won't win 8 just because they were only aged for 7
years?