Nose clogged up during cycling?

cmacblue42

Mar 1, 2006
Ok, when i get on the bike and go for a ride, one thing i predominantly notice is that my nose runs/ becomes congested forcing me to breathe form my mouth. I believe this is my biggest preblem right now involving cycling performance. So any ways to prevent that from happening would be great.
-Mike C.

Exercise-induced rhinitis, I think they call it. Maybe some Flonase or some such nasal drug might help.

Oral antihistamine tablets might help, but they get in your whole body rather than a more local spray in your nose.

Of course, the main side-effect is congestion - dang.

I'm no expert, so have a chat with your doctor to make sure what's right for you.

right now is prime allergy season here in central california. i use a saline spray prior to the ride, and breath right strips. i dont know which one actually makes it better, but ive just always used both.

snaps10 said:
right now is prime allergy season here in central california. i use a saline spray prior to the ride, and breath right strips. i dont know which one actually makes it better, but ive just always used both.
I just potted a few mint plants in the garden next to the gate. On my way out for a ride, I pull off a few leaves and rub them into the back of my glove and tuck them inside. As I ride, I rub my nose with the mint glove and my sinuses clear up without side effect. I've read that other buy mint oil at their local whole foods grocery store and put a few drops into their gloves for a more concentrated snort.

kinda rude but here it is lean over the front bars and snot hard. try to miss yourself and the tire. with practise ya can get 2 streams going. that will miss everything. i said it was rude. works for me.

aa9t8 said:
kinda rude but here it is lean over the front bars and snot hard. try to miss yourself and the tire. with practise ya can get 2 streams going. that will miss everything. i said it was rude. works for me.
It's a bit safer to go one side at a time over the shoulders. Just be sure to only do it when you're at the back of the line.

But remember, if you follow the advice of the last 2 posters and get it wrong, cleaning up the aftermath will result in your cadence falling off, your power falling off and in the worst case scenario (a big green one stuck to your jersey) you falling off.:D

artmichalek said:
It's a bit safer to go one side at a time over the shoulders. Just be sure to only do it when you're at the back of the line.
I second this.

Just put one finger over one nostril, lean over your shoulder and blow hard and fast out of the other nostril, repeat the process to clear the other side out.

Its very simple but very effective. After you do it once, you'll do it forever

yep. use the old farmer's hanky

they should call it the cyclists hanky or sommat.

''backblast area clear!'' :p

maybe you are not wearing the correct gear.

Lots of part-timers think you can wear a T-Shirt or other normal clothing.
Go to a used/second-hand clothing outlet and try to find a genuine Cycling Jersey. If not, then buy one new, forget about the price.
These are designed to keep the wind off you yet still allow perspiration to get out... it reduces chill by a huge margin.

Aussie Steve said:
maybe you are not wearing the correct gear.

Lots of part-timers think you can wear a T-Shirt or other normal clothing.
Go to a used/second-hand clothing outlet and try to find a genuine Cycling Jersey. If not, then buy one new, forget about the price.
These are designed to keep the wind off you yet still allow perspiration to get out... it reduces chill by a huge margin.
Nope, i belong to a club and i have a jersey and bib shorts but i dont see how this pertains to my nose getting clogged up.

I suffer the same thing and I hate it.... can never seem to push that bit hard when having to inhale and exhale through the same.

Plus, the nose blowing down under is called a 'Bushmans Blowy.' Supposedly what they do in the outback...

I think I will have to get used to this...