Not a happy camper :-(

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Graeme, Aug 1, 2004.

  1. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    Damn, damn, damn! I went to bed last night with a bit of a sore knee which
    I didn't worry much about. However I woke up this morning with a nice big
    lump just above and to the inside of my left knee cap and the tendon
    attached to my knee cap is a bit tender. My knee hurts when it bends
    quickly or I put load on it :-( Looks like the bike is out for a while.
    Doubly annoying as I've been cycling every week-day morning for the last
    couple of weeks to get fitter (and wake me up a bit) and it's been very
    enjoyable.

    I'm not certain what caused it, I was moving some light furniture yesterday
    but I'm pretty certain I didn't do anything to my knee. I hope it wasn't
    Friday's cycle ride where I deliberately kept my cadence higher than I
    normally do. If it was, I blame that bloody Lance Armstrong! He gets you
    guys talking about high cadence and I think "hmmm, might give that a try."

    Ho hum, guess it's an extra hour in bed instead of on the bike, so there's
    good in everything :)

    Graeme

    Tags:

  2. davek

    davek Guest

    Graeme wrote:
    > However I woke up this morning with a nice big
    > lump just above and to the inside of my left knee cap and the tendon
    > attached to my knee cap is a bit tender.

    Oooh, sounds nasty. I'd get me to a doctor if I was you.

    > If it was, I blame that bloody Lance Armstrong! He gets you
    > guys talking about high cadence and I think "hmmm, might give that a try."

    I was clocking up some seriously high cadences on the club run this
    morning, but only due to force of circumstances - viz, my rear derailler
    fell to pieces about 25 miles from home, and still a few miles short of
    the planned cafe stop.

    Thanks to my trusty multi-tool, I was able to carry on by converting my
    bike to single-speed (shortened the chain, bypassing the knackered
    derailler). Thank god for horizontal dropouts.

    However, I made the mistake of selecting a fairly low gear (42x21) -
    this meant I was fine going up hills (not that there were any serious
    hills on our route today) but had to pedal like a loony to keep up on
    the flat - peaking at about 130rpm.

    Still, not a bad workout - and a good excuse to upgrade my rear mech -
    it was a crappy old thing anyway. Stopped off at the bike shop on the
    way home and my bike is now fitted with a shiny new 105 derailler.

    > Ho hum, guess it's an extra hour in bed instead of on the bike, so there's
    > good in everything :)

    Just lay off the pies and cream cakes if you want to stay in any fit
    state to ride when your knee recovers!

    d.

  3. "Graeme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Damn, damn, damn! I went to bed last night with a bit of a sore knee which
    > I didn't worry much about. However I woke up this morning with a nice big
    > lump just above and to the inside of my left knee cap and the tendon
    > attached to my knee cap is a bit tender. My knee hurts when it bends
    > quickly or I put load on it :-(

    <snip>
    Could be Bursitis - I have had problems over the last couple of years which
    have involved great pain, and forced immobility.

    Couple of factors could have contributed to this:
    (1) Doing a lot of 'kneeling' work when DIYing - since wearing foam knee
    pads for all kneeling work I don't seem to have had any problems.
    (2) Migration of the infection from an infected insect bite to the knee
    joint. I now rush to the Doc's at first sign of an infected insect bite (I
    seem prone to these) and get the antibiotics in. This seems to sort it out
    O.K.

    I was also prescribed a specific drug to reduce swelling and pain in the
    joint.

    All in all, if the knee looks like it is getting worse instead of better, go
    and see you friendly local GP.
    This could help you avoid a week in bed.

    HTH
    Dave R

  4. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    davek <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Graeme wrote:
    >> However I woke up this morning with a nice big
    >> lump just above and to the inside of my left knee cap and the tendon
    >> attached to my knee cap is a bit tender.

    > Oooh, sounds nasty. I'd get me to a doctor if I was you.

    I suppose so, only I'd have to find a doctor first (I've not lived here
    long enough to need one yet). Mind you, there are some good local physios
    who are generally a bit more switched on to such injuries and how they
    affect active people than most (but not all) GPs.

    >> Ho hum, guess it's an extra hour in bed instead of on the bike, so
    >> there's good in everything :)

    > Just lay off the pies and cream cakes if you want to stay in any fit
    > state to ride when your knee recovers!

    Oh you're no bloody fun! There goes my carefully planned treatment regime
    right out of the window! :)

    Graeme

  5. David W.E. Roberts wrote:
    > All in all, if the knee looks like it is getting worse instead of
    > better, go and see you friendly local GP.
    > This could help you avoid a week in bed.

    I was diagnosed with bursitis on my elbow a few years ago. I had fallen, not
    whilst cycling, and landed on my elbows and knees. The doc prescribed 600mg
    Ibuprofen.