Not a recipe, but edible: sauerkraut curry casserole

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jake, Feb 26, 2006.

  1. jake

    jake Guest

    I have no exact quantities, but your experienced chef's minds can figure
    it out, I suspect:)

    For dinner, I baked something that I suspect would be called a
    casserole. There were 3 layers;

    bottom layer: sauteed onion, to which I added Surinamese garam masala,
    fried ti for ti few minutes, then I added ground beef . Cooked it until
    brown and crumbled. Cooled it, then added soaked raisins.
    2nd layer: sauerkraut straight from the packet
    top layer: mash of potatoes and turnips

    Wanted to use bread crumbs + butter on top, but had neither.

    Baked it for about half an hour at 180 C. I really liked it - this
    weekend has been cold and this was good winter food, that didn't taste
    too heavy.

    Next time, I'll try it with lentils instead of beef, and I think I'll
    add some carrots to the lentils as well. Or walnuts.

    Tags:

  2. Yogi Gupta

    Yogi Gupta Guest

    Let us see how I would do it, if I was making your recipe,, I will
    saute onions till starting to turn brown, then add Cumin powder,
    Coriander powder, a bit of nutmeg and ground cloves,, and yes ground
    beef. I would not use Garam masala. Ground or whole cloves really go
    good with sauer kraut... When I cook sauerkraut, I always throw in a
    few whole cloves and a bayleaf. Good alternatives for beef would be
    cubed hard tofu, or drained Garbanzo beans from a can.. I might put in
    a layer of sliced beets.. and a layer of red and green bell peppers cut
    into rings.. I am a sucker for colors..
    Good recipe!
    Yogi
    www.IndiaCurry.com

  3. jake

    jake Guest

    Yogi Gupta wrote:

    > Let us see how I would do it, if I was making your recipe,, I will
    > saute onions till starting to turn brown, then add Cumin powder,
    > Coriander powder, a bit of nutmeg and ground cloves,, and yes ground
    > beef. I would not use Garam masala. Ground or whole cloves really go
    > good with sauer kraut... When I cook sauerkraut, I always throw in a
    > few whole cloves and a bayleaf. Good alternatives for beef would be
    > cubed hard tofu, or drained Garbanzo beans from a can.. I might put in
    > a layer of sliced beets.. and a layer of red and green bell peppers cut
    > into rings.. I am a sucker for colors..
    > Good recipe!
    > Yogi
    > www.IndiaCurry.com

    I like your spice combo. The garam masala I used tastes a lot like curry
    powder, and is a dark yellow. Is that the type of garam masala you
    wouldn't use?

    Your other suggestions sounds good, too. This dish can definitely use
    more color than my version had. I think I would try your idea of sing
    bell peppers, I'd like to roast them and then put them on top of the
    sauerkraut.

  4. Yogi Gupta

    Yogi Gupta Guest

    There is no standard garam masala or standard curry powder. For curry
    powder you have three basice spices:
    Tremeric powder, Cumin powder, and Coriander powder. Turemeric gives
    color, cumin the savory aroma, and the coriander is an emulsifier.
    For Garam Masala, you have three basic spices: Cardamoms, Cloves, and
    Nutmeg. These three spices give the aromatic aroma.
    The Curry powder works most of the times, but Garam Masala does not
    becuase some times you want cloves and not cardamom. Like in this case
    I did not use Cardomoms. Cardamoms are good if you have nuts as
    inggredients or someting sweet.
    If the Garam Masala is yellowish as in your case, its a combination of
    all the six spices and is really a Curry powder. The yellow color is
    the result of Turemeric in it.
    I do like colors in my recipes, but the colors have to be natural from
    spices or from the basic ingredients. Red and Green bell peppers help
    add color so easily with just a hint of heat. I was also goin to
    suggest some thin slices of Red Bermuda onions, they are mild and leave
    color. If I want heat, I add Serrano. In my book Serrano are the best
    hot peppers for cooking, you can open belly and remove the seeds and
    the white membranes to the extent one wants to reduce heat. The Serrano
    matches well with curry spices.
    Thanks for reading my suggestions.