Not all Aussies are like McEwen.

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Mart, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Mart

Mart New Member

I would just like to say that not all Aussies are total wankers. Please don't judge us too harshly based on one tosser.

Tags:

2. mitosis

mitosis New Member

How dare you apologise on my behalf.

Robbies actions were far from sportsmanlike but that doesn't make him a wanker.

When it comes to wankers in the peloton, Robbie M doesn't rate compared with riders from some other nations.

Maybe you should apologise for yourself for not understanding the pressures of this type of competition.

3. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I personally enjoy his showmanship. Didn't he wheelie across the finish line last year in the Alp D'Huez time trial?
    Of course, there again ,I am probably a heathen.

4. Craig Strong

Craig Strong New Member

How Good was Robbie stage 5.
    The man is a legend!

5. rule62

rule62 New Member

Do a google on Barry Bonds. It could be a lot worse.

6. martin_j001

martin_j001 New Member

From the video footage of the sprint of stage 3, it looks like the "argy bargy" (as Phil Ligget would say) was a bit mutual. I think if you look at sprint finishes from years gone by you can see the same thing many times, and often there is no punishment for it. Those guys trying for the sprint know well enough that there is a good chance that they will contact another rider during the sprint. I'm not sure whats unexpected about that when you have 20-30 guys all trying their hardest to win on a tight road... :confused: :confused: :confused:

7. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

Don't worry. I go to Outback Steak House all the time, and all the people who work there are really nice. :)

8. roadhog

roadhog New Member

That was more than simple contact. I don't think the race officials had any choice but to relegate, and I think they did the right thing. The impact on dozens of riders screaming up the road behind those guys is too great to ignore it. It's easy to laugh at from the couch, but we're talking about crashes that maim and permanently injur here. I think it was pretty irresponsible myself (and if it was mutual, then it was irresponsible for them both).

9. martin_j001

martin_j001 New Member

I wasn't justifying it at all, but it seems that it is being made a bigger deal than it is. I agree with relegating Robbie to the back, but after that there's really no reason to discuss it anymore--there was no crash and no one was injured. Not sure why its really that big of a deal....

10. Chance3290

Chance3290 New Member

McEwen has a reputation, within the peloton, for being a bully. Maybe its because his team has rarely given him leadout support and he's always had to 'hitch a ride' with other teams.
    I liked his wheelie last year and I liked his child wearing a mini green jersey on the podium, but, I never had much tolerance for bullies.
    I hear someone say McEwen is the next Cippo, as far as being a character and showman. BULL! With Cippo, you always knew he was putting people on while having a little fun.

11. roadhog

roadhog New Member

That's a good point. I wasn't going to mention it for fear of not knowing what I'm talking about, but I was noticing the other day that it sure seems like he never gets a good leadout like some of the others. They do a fine job chasing down the breaks for him, but they don't have much left at the end it seems and he's usually out on his own. In stage 5 he clearly hitched a ride with Quickstep leadout for Boonen. Worked well though. These guys are friggin fast! I love to see the bikes flex under the stress in the replays... Quickstep and Davitomon-Lotto have got to be getting smoked from chasing down these breaks every day this week with little help. Ideal situation for Discovery...

12. roadhog

roadhog New Member

And I agree with that too. These sprinters especially must have extremely competitive personalities so it's easy to see how one could get carried away in the heat of things. I suspect even McEwen was secretly surprised when he saw the replay and how extreme his maneuver appeared. Probably didn't even realize how much he was leaning. Like you said, the penalty was granted and that is that. He is still waaaay fast and deserves every one of his stage wins, past and future.

13. martin_j001

martin_j001 New Member

Very much agreed...with that much speed and adrenalin and excitement, I bet he was surprised too.

14. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

I think the judges were just trying to make an example of him. A crash in that tight of a finish can end the race for half of the GC contenders.

15. gubaguba

gubaguba New Member

Often with a lot of that stuff that goes on you don't see what leads up to it. The first offence is rarely caught its the reaction to it that usually draws the penalty. Not that I'm making excuses for that behavior but I will give him the benefit of doubt. I don't recall a long record of such behavior from him. Anyway I got a good laugh out of it when it happened. Thats sports after all.

16. Napalm73

Napalm73 New Member

Robbie is a champ. Another great win in the 7th stage.

Go Robbie.....

17. gubaguba

gubaguba New Member

Good thing there all not like McEwen with a record amount of Aussies in The Tour no else would stand a chance.