Not another NEWB!!!

Sir Spinsir

Jun 9, 2004
Hi everyone, Im new.
After riding for awhile on my freaking Wal-Mart Mongoose XR-500. (OPEEEEEN FIIRRRRE!) I've decided I want to move up to a fairly top of the line road bike. But instead of going to the shop, I wish to build it myself.
I want to start with a wheelset, wherein lies my question.
In terms of lightest, slowest decceleration clinchers. Which ones are currently top of the line?
Thanks
Jon

Vittoria Open Corsa Evo KS are very nice. They are light and the rolling resistance is low. But those nice properties are achieved at the expense of puncture resistance and longevity. You'll wear them out and/or cut them to ribbons after less than 1000 miles.

Thanks very much sir.
Whats the popular opinion of the Rolf Vector Pros?, as compared to other brands? I've heard bad things. Maybe I'm better off with zip 404's? (but the Rolf's LOOK so much better.) Who currently has the lightest clinchers?

Don't worry about light/fast.

Get a good set of Contis or Vittorias, and go out and put on the miles.

Not to be condescending, but you are not at the level where a fast/light set of tires makes a difference. So get something that is going to last you a lot of miles so that you can train train train and get your money's worth out of them..

Velomax Ascent Comps would be my choice for an ultra light wheelset - but I have to agree with Daremo here - going from a Walmart bike to a superbike in one step seems a little odd. You sure you know what you're doing?