Not another Vs. post.... Sorry

SilverStang

Jul 12, 2004
Well When I posted my first post I warned that I may need help soon. I'll try to give enough information so that you guys/girls can help.
Brief of my history:
Rode competitively for 9 years, got married and haven't really ridden in the past 9 years. A lot has changed. Rode a Cannondale Dave Scott Ironman last. (Best I could afford at the time)

Plans/aspirations:
I am mainly interested in 1-2 days a week afternoon rides of 20-30 miles, Weekend mornings (20-50 miles), and 1-2 tours a year (MS150 type), and the idea of entering an amatuer race isn't out of the question.

I've ridden:
Trek
Cannondale
Lemond
Giant
Specialized
Marin
Klein
Felt

I've narrowed my bike purchase down to two after ridding about a dozen. My budget (very loose budget) is around $1500usd by the way.

I decided I liked the Trek 2100 for 1699 at my LBS, or the Felt F55 for $1799. The F55 is equipped much better than the Trek. I initially assumed I would be paying for the Trek name and backing, although the Felt warranty looks identical to the Trek.
I would have already made up my mind on the Felt until the LBS salesman scared me out of the Dura Ace components. He mentioned that the Ultegra and Dura Ace stuff needed bi-yearly maintenance costing 300-400. I'm thinking maybe I should stick to Shimano 105 equipped bikes if that is the case. Honestly a 105 equipped bike will likely enough suit my needs anyway, but the Felt is a great deal at only $100 more than the Trek, and it won't be just another Trek in the park. :)

Sorry for being so longwinded ... long typed (Is that a wored?)

Do Dura Ace components really need that much attention regularly? Is the Felt more bike than I want?

Thanks in advance for the help, hope to see some of you on the roads.

Eric

I have a few comments:

1. I don't know anything about Felts so can't comment on it, but are you saying you're getting Dura-Ace on a $1799 bike? If so, they is practically unheard of I think.

2. I have NEVER heard anyone say something like that about Ultegra or DuraAce and maintenance. My current full Ultegra group has about 3000 miles on it and is still flawless, and I'm sure I'm on the low end of the mileage scale around here. What the hell could he be doing as regular "maintenance" on components for $300-400 biannually? First of all the whole biannual thing is suspicious because if something like that were true it would be based on mileage not time.

3. I agree that 105 is plenty quality for the vast majority of people. Everyone seems to want better groupset than they need because of the bling factor and natural desire to want better stuff. I'm guilty too. I ride full Ultegra even though I know it is overkill for me.

4. Did I mention my surprise at DuraAce on a bike in that price range?

That's ribbish about the maintenance. They wouldn't sell at all if they needed that much attention.

I almost bought a Felt, but in the end, I was just too skeptical about frame quality. I figured that the cost of the components were so high, that the manufacturer would have needed to cut costs somewhere. I know that there are plenty of Felt riders out there who have had great experiences, but at the end of the day, you need to be happy on what you're riding.

I ended up on a 105 equipped carbon Look. Love it!

Test ride them both, and if you still can't decided...go with your gut instinct. You don't want to regret the purchase in 6 months time.

Yep, Dura Ace derailleurs. This bike is just under $2100 retail, which is still awesome for a Dura Ace bike I think, but it's on sale now for $1799, and the salesman eluded to being able to make a better deal than that. It happens to be my size and the only one they have left.
I take it from your reply that it should be a no brainer to go with the Felt over the Trek .

Here is the specs of the bike and URL:
MODEL F55
COLORS Semi Matte Black
SIZES 700c x 50,52,54,56,58,60,63
FRAME Custom Butted Super-light 7005 w/carbon seat stays, bulged seat tube, CNC'd head tube & BB shell, forged dropouts w/replaceable hanger
FORK Felt Carbon Fiber w/1-1/8" alloy steerer
HEADSET Aheadset 1-1/8" Integrated
STEM Felt ST-22 6061 3D forged
HANDLE BAR Felt Ø31.8mm 7075 Alloy drop
GRIPS Felt Cork ribbon tape w/gel; 3D Felt logo
SHIFTERS Shimano Dura-Ace, 20 speed
F/DERAILLEUR Shimano Dura-Ace
R/DERAILLEUR Shimano Dura-Ace
CRANKSET FSA SL-K monocoque carbon crank w/compact drive CNC alloy chainrings 50/34T
BB SET PowerPro Sealed Hollow CrMo ISIS
CHAIN KMC DX-10 silver
FREEWHEEL Shimano Dura-Ace 10s cassette, 11-23T
BRAKE LEVERS Shimano Dura-Ace Dual Control
BRAKES Tektro RX20G dual pivot w/cartridge brake shoes, stainless hardware; teflon bushings
SADDLE Felt Racing Lite w/leather cover
SEAT POST Felt carbon micro-adjust
F/HUB Velomax Vista SL
R/HUB Velomax Vista SL
RIMS Velomax Vista SL or American Classic CR420 Aero w/machined braking surface
TIRE Vittoria Rubino Slick folding 700x23c
SPOKES Velomax Double Butted
PEDALS none
http://www.feltracing.com/2005_bikes/2005_f55.html

Eric

SilverStang said:
He mentioned that the Ultegra and Dura Ace stuff needed bi-yearly maintenance costing 300-400.
Rubbish.

Last season marked 11 years and around 30,000 miles on my old 8-sp Dura-Ace group. This includes riding in the rain, being lazy about maintenance, a few good crashes, and your normal wear and tear. I finally had a front shifter booger up, and I got a good deal on a new DA 9-sp group, so I went for it.

Incidentally, my spare bike got my old 8-sp group, and I've been riding that for the past month while I wait for the frame on the 9-sp bike to be warrantied.

A Dura-Ace group should last you indefinitely if you keep it well maintained (i.e. cleaned and lubricated).

I rode both and the Felt was amazing. The Trek was just great. I just didn't want to get into trouble with a maintenance nightmare.
I thought about the same thing with the frame quality. I'm not real worried about it since the warranty is so good. This is just assumption but I imagine if they broke all the time or had many problems with them I would have come across someone talking about it in my shopping inspired research. Also, I suppose they wouldn't be so quick to match Trek's warranty. Now, time will tell wether they stand behind said warranty. <shrug>

Well, it sounds like I ran across a LBS employee who makes a good bit of money on "Routine Maintenance" work.
I didn't think that was right. I've been out of the game for a while, but my old 105 stuff had 5-6k on it back in the day and I was probably the worlds worst when it comes to cleaning or lubing anything. I'm better now by the way. :)

I think I'm going to go get the Felt tommorow unless someone else thinks there is something I may be missing, or forgetting to ride.

Thanks for the replies by the way.

Eric

SilverStang said:
I thought about the same thing with the frame quality. I'm not real worried about it since the warranty is so good. This is just assumption but I imagine if they broke all the time or had many problems with them I would have come across someone talking about it in my shopping inspired research.<shrug>
Eric
I wasn't so much commenting on frame quality from a "break" point of view. I'm sure it'll stand up to a fair beating. I'm talking about quality in terms of ride quality and performance. If you've ridden the Felt and didn't really see much difference to the Trek, go for it!

SilverStang said:
I think I'm going to go get the Felt tommorow unless someone else thinks there is something I may be missing, or forgetting to ride.
Like I said I've never ridden a felt myself but I often here felt owners praising them. I've also not spent much time on a Trek, but they obviously have a good rep. Sounds like you can't go wrong. If you're excited about the Felt and it sounds like the group set is better and the prices are within 100$ then go for it man! Good Luck. Buying bikes is great fun (until checkout time).

Couple other non-tangible things to consider:
1. Which one looks cooler to you or makes you feel cooler when you're on it? Sounds lame but you'll ride it more if you love the look.
2. Everybody has Treks. Not as many people have Felts. If everything else is a crapshoot, then the Felt will set you apart more and is another reason to go for it in my opinion.

I rode both and the Felt was amazing. The Trek was just great.
That is the most telling part of your shopping experience so far. Go with your gut, which seems clear inthis statement.

remember it's not always the bike but the mechanic who touched it last...
trek IMO is overpriced. i saw a ultegra equiped schwinn that was a cool deal, carbon post/ carbon crank and fork... like 1200 usd

IEatRice4Dinner said:
I saw a ultegra equiped schwinn that was a cool deal, carbon post/ carbon crank and fork... like 1200 usd
The only problem with a Schwinn is it's like a fat chick or a moped ... you don't want your friends to see you with them! ;) :D

Schwinn frequently gets a "good bang for the buck" rating by a few of the cycling rags. I'm always skeptical about magazine endorsements, however, due to advertising expenditures.

Bicycling Magazine, May 2005 - "Schwinn's DBX might be just the best multiuse bike ever made. That's a bold statement, but a quick look under the hood shows that this one machine can handle any type of ride - road, touring, commuting, cyclocross - with equal composure."

Outside Magazine, April 2005 - "The Super Sport is stable and burly enough for speed bumps and urban traffic adventures but sufficiently streamlined for your first century."

Bicycling Magazine, April 2005 - "Mountain Technology meets road speed - and makes a comfortable ride."

Bicycling Magazine, June 2005 - "The Schwinn (Fastback Comp) is an excellent first-timer's race bike."

Bicycling Magazine, April 2005 - "Once synonymous with cycling in the US, Schwinn has had its ups and downs, but 2005's Fastback Comp is an unqualified success. The N'Litened aluminum tubeset and Fastback geometry are race-quality. With smooth 105 shifting, Gipiemme wheels that spin up fast, and sturdy, well-designed Ritchey parts, this bike will see you through your first races - or through the next decade of all-around riding. One of this season's best buys."

I just bought the F-55. It was more than I wanted to spend but the value was absolutely insane. The only two places they went cheap, but easily rectifiable is the bottom bracket and the brake pads. The frame set is awesome, and full dura-ace, I got mine for 1699.

SilverStang said:
Well When I posted my first post I warned that I may need help soon. I'll try to give enough information so that you guys/girls can help.
Brief of my history:
Rode competitively for 9 years, got married and haven't really ridden in the past 9 years. A lot has changed. Rode a Cannondale Dave Scott Ironman last. (Best I could afford at the time)

The only maintenance costs annually should be a new cassette, chain, tires and maybe brakepads. I know on DA 10 the cassette and chain can be a bit pricey (possibly $200 for both at your lbs), but you could cut that cost by about $90 with an Ultegra cassette and chain. Tires are about $50 a piece (I ride 5k a year on average and I probably go through three or four total). A basic tune up is another 40 or so. I think the shop mechanic overstated the "bi" annual costs, annual would be appropriate given your mileage goals . I like to do all my own work which gives me the option of purchasing the items on line or e-bay for a reduced cost. Currently I'm on Campy Record 10 and the only work that I've done during the 3k miles I currently have logged is some very minor tuning (after initial cable stretch after 500 miles but nothing since) and a weekly cleaning/lube. I just measured the chain and it hasn't stretched more than a mm if at all, and I take the cassette apart for regular cleaning and inspection and it looks (and rides) perfect. I have an older bike with Ultegra 9 and the chain/cassette seemed to wear a bit more quickly. Bottom line, the top end stuff seems to last longer.