Not bad for $10

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Denny Voorhees, Apr 19, 2003.

  1. Several years ago, Nashbar ran a deal on shoes and SPD pedals. Buy a pair of shoes and get a set of
    pedals for $10 more (I think that was the price). Well I bought a pair of cheap shoes and a pair of
    pedals. I seem to recall I had about $30 bucks in the whole deal. It was 1997, and it was time to
    shed the toe clips. The pedals first found their way on my Cannondale road bike and over the next
    two seasons I put about 3500 miles on them. I hung up the Cannondale late in 1998. When I got my
    Vrex in 2000 I needed some SPD's. A couple turns of the wrench and they were now part of the power
    train of the Vrex. 8500 miles later, they transferred over to the Giro. Today I noticed my right
    foot was not locking into the pedal on one side. After a nice ride this afternoon a close
    examination of the pedal shows one sides' locking tab is broken. As luck would have it I had ordered
    a pair this winter, so I have back ups. Counting the 850 miles on the Giro, the cheapy Nashbar SPD
    clones have given me nearly 13000 miles of service. Some times you takes your chances and it comes
    out good Spring is back today 70 degrees this afternoon and beautiful. Days like this remind me why
    I still live here. Denny in Sayre, Pa "Bent but not broken" www.recumbentstuff.com

    Tags:

  2. Bill Anton

    Bill Anton Guest

    I almost fell for that same deal at Nasbar. Fortunately for me, they were out of the $10 pedals so I
    bit the bullet and bought a $50 pair of Wellgos. Those pedals are now on their second bike, and 5000
    miles later they still work great. Recently I saw some of those $10 pedals in a LBS... CHEAP! Just
    turning it in my hand, it felt like the bearings were all flat-spotted. Glad I didn't waste the $10.

    news:<[email protected]>...