Not enough calories?

jjj

Guest
Hi.
I started low carb about six months ago and very easily lost 30 lb in first
month and even thou this was my goal I lost another 10 lb since then. My
wife on the other hand is having very hard time with it. She lost 10 lb in
first week (I know it is water) but this is her fifth week and there is no
change. She even lowered her calories and carb count to about 900 cal and 20
gr of carbs per day and still nothing. She is very frustrated because I did
not have to work to hard to loose my weight and now I just stay under 100
carbs per day and don't watch calories and fat at all. We go to the gym
several times a week so it is not lack of exercise. I guess some people have
harder time with this then others. My question is : Is it possible she does
not eat enough? Maybe you need to eat certain number of calories per day for
your body to switch from burning carbs to burning fat? Any suggestions will
be appreciated as I really want her to succeed.
Jerry

Some people believe in starvation mode, I am not sure what I think
about that I know for myself that I lose better when I alternate low
calorie days with high calorie days, 1000/1300, and my metobolism seems
to slow if I eat fewer calories. Also, she should have her thyroid
checked because people who are eating truly clean, not net carbing,
and not losing weight may be hypothyroid and need to actually eat more
carbs, around 30 to start losing weight. Make sure she is not eating
the bars and fake candy etc because those carbs do actually count,
despite what the packaging says.

Hope this helps.

jjj wrote:

> I started low carb about six months ago and very easily lost 30 lb in

first
> month and even thou this was my goal I lost another 10 lb since then.

My
> wife on the other hand is having very hard time with it. She lost 10

lb in
> first week (I know it is water) but this is her fifth week and there

is no
> change. She even lowered her calories and carb count to about 900 cal

and 20
> gr of carbs per day and still nothing.

Consider the Atkins rules for staying on Induction. One of them
is the question whether it's still working. For your wife it is
not. According to the Atkins plan she should now increase her
carb count and find her CCLL. Less is not better.

Plenty of people over the years have posted about stalling because
they insisted on cutting carbs rather than increasing them. Few
take the advice to increase but it does work.

> She is very frustrated because I did
> not have to work to hard to loose my weight and now I just stay under

100
> carbs per day and don't watch calories and fat at all. We go to the

gym
> several times a week so it is not lack of exercise. I guess some

people have
> harder time with this then others. My question is : Is it possible

she does
> not eat enough? Maybe you need to eat certain number of calories per

day for
> your body to switch from burning carbs to burning fat? Any

suggestions will
> be appreciated as I really want her to succeed.

That's the ticket. Pick some reasonable calorie guideline to
get her out of total-calorie starvation mode, and start moving
up th ecarb ladder to get out of leptin/thyriodT3 carb starvation
mode.

First off, it hasn't been that long...only 4 weeks of no loss since losing
10 lbs.
Secondly, while you didn't say anything about your relative sizes, it is
likely that she is much smaller than you, so her slower rate of loss is to
be expected.

Now....you might have her try a zig zag. Have her keep dieting as she is
now until the weekend. Have her eat nornal LC in the morning and mid day,
then have her eat a carby goodly sized meal for dinner. The trick here is to
pig out or anything even close to that, but try to bring calories up to
where she would even if trying to maintain her weight. Then see what
happens the next day. For me, I'll see some weight loss, rather than a
water weight gain. Keep the workouts going, too.

In news:W%[email protected],
jjj <[email protected]> typed:
> Hi.
> I started low carb about six months ago and very easily lost 30 lb in
> first month and even thou this was my goal I lost another 10 lb since
> then. My wife on the other hand is having very hard time with it. She
> lost 10 lb in first week (I know it is water) but this is her fifth
> week and there is no change. She even lowered her calories and carb
> count to about 900 cal and 20 gr of carbs per day and still nothing.
> She is very frustrated because I did not have to work to hard to
> loose my weight and now I just stay under 100 carbs per day and don't
> watch calories and fat at all. We go to the gym several times a week
> so it is not lack of exercise. I guess some people have harder time
> with this then others. My question is : Is it possible she does not
> eat enough? Maybe you need to eat certain number of calories per day
> for your body to switch from burning carbs to burning fat? Any
> suggestions will be appreciated as I really want her to succeed.
> Jerry

Hello,
On 2-Feb-2005, "jjj" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi.
> I started low carb about six months ago and very easily lost 30 lb
> in first
> month and even thou this was my goal I lost another 10 lb since
> then. My
> wife on the other hand is having very hard time with it. She lost 10
> lb in
> first week (I know it is water) but this is her fifth week and there
> is no
> change. She even lowered her calories and carb count to about 900
> cal and 20
> gr of carbs per day and still nothing. She is very frustrated
> because I did
> not have to work to hard to loose my weight and now I just stay
> under 100
> carbs per day and don't watch calories and fat at all. We go to the
> gym
> several times a week so it is not lack of exercise. I guess some
> people have
> harder time with this then others. My question is : Is it possible
> she does
> not eat enough? Maybe you need to eat certain number of calories per
> day for
> your body to switch from burning carbs to burning fat? Any
> suggestions will
> be appreciated as I really want her to succeed.
> Jerry

Jerry, it's a lot more likely that your wife is making mistakes,
either honest ones or she's cheating behind your back. You haven't
said how tall she is or what she weighs, but she'd have to be *very*
tiny for that calorie level to result in no weight loss for a month.

Have a talk with her. She may not want to do low-carbing and instead
of just flat-out saying "No" is instead going through this elaborate
farce so she'll have an excuse to quit. Why waste time?

Take care,
Carmen
--
Please note change in Reply To address carmensrt <at> gmail <dot> com
Hotmail isn't working and is being abandoned

On 2-Feb-2005, "Doug Freyburger" <[email protected]> wrote:

> That's the ticket. Pick some reasonable calorie guideline to
> get her out of total-calorie starvation mode

I see the "Doug Freyburger School of PseudoScience" is in session
again.
Pinhead.

Carmen
--
Please note change in Reply To address carmensrt <at> gmail <dot> com
Hotmail isn't working and is being abandoned

I'm 100 % sure she is not cheating or eating any low carb bars.
I do.
What is ketostck?

"Ignoramus23553" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 23:54:12 GMT, Carmen <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > On 2-Feb-2005, "jjj" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi.
> >> I started low carb about six months ago and very easily lost 30 lb
> >> in first
> >> month and even thou this was my goal I lost another 10 lb since
> >> then. My
> >> wife on the other hand is having very hard time with it. She lost 10
> >> lb in
> >> first week (I know it is water) but this is her fifth week and there
> >> is no
> >> change. She even lowered her calories and carb count to about 900
> >> cal and 20
> >> gr of carbs per day and still nothing. She is very frustrated
> >> because I did
> >> not have to work to hard to loose my weight and now I just stay
> >> under 100
> >> carbs per day and don't watch calories and fat at all. We go to the
> >> gym
> >> several times a week so it is not lack of exercise. I guess some
> >> people have
> >> harder time with this then others. My question is : Is it possible
> >> she does
> >> not eat enough? Maybe you need to eat certain number of calories per
> >> day for
> >> your body to switch from burning carbs to burning fat? Any
> >> suggestions will
> >> be appreciated as I really want her to succeed.
> >> Jerry

> > Jerry, it's a lot more likely that your wife is making mistakes,
> > either honest ones or she's cheating behind your back. You haven't
> > said how tall she is or what she weighs, but she'd have to be *very*
> > tiny for that calorie level to result in no weight loss for a month.
> >
> > Have a talk with her. She may not want to do low-carbing and instead
> > of just flat-out saying "No" is instead going through this elaborate
> > farce so she'll have an excuse to quit. Why waste time?

> A ketostick should easily determine whether the wife is cheating and
> eating carbs behind his back. I would bet a small sum that that is in
> fact the case.
>
> --
> 223/173.1/180

Hi,
On 2-Feb-2005, "jjj" <[email protected]> wrote:
** Jerry's wife isn't losing weight - she lost 10 in Week 1 and
nothing for the next 4 weeks.
** Carmen suggests she's either making mistakes or deliberately
messing up.
** Ig bets she's cheating and said a ketostick check would settle it.

> I'm 100 % sure she is not cheating or eating any low carb bars.
> I do.
> What is ketostck?

A ketostick is just a stick that turns colors if there's ketones in
your urine.
Jerry, she could be just doing a poor job of tracking her eating. Is
she weighing and measuring and assiduously recording everything she
eats or is she guesstimating?

Take care,
Carmen
--
Please note change in Reply To address carmensrt <at> gmail <dot> com
Hotmail isn't working and is being abandoned

No. she is eating like a bird. That's why I posted this message.
Jerry
"Carmen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Hi,
> On 2-Feb-2005, "jjj" <[email protected]> wrote:
> ** Jerry's wife isn't losing weight - she lost 10 in Week 1 and
> nothing for the next 4 weeks.
> ** Carmen suggests she's either making mistakes or deliberately
> messing up.
> ** Ig bets she's cheating and said a ketostick check would settle it.
>
> > I'm 100 % sure she is not cheating or eating any low carb bars.
> > I do.
> > What is ketostck?

> A ketostick is just a stick that turns colors if there's ketones in
> your urine.
> Jerry, she could be just doing a poor job of tracking her eating. Is
> she weighing and measuring and assiduously recording everything she
> eats or is she guesstimating?
>
> Take care,
> Carmen
> --
> Please note change in Reply To address carmensrt <at> gmail <dot> com
> Hotmail isn't working and is being abandoned

In news:[email protected],
jjj <[email protected]> typed:
> No. she is eating like a bird. That's why I posted this message.

And she's been doing this for 4 weeks, with exercise? How much does she
weigh?

> Jerry
> "Carmen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Hi,
>> On 2-Feb-2005, "jjj" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> ** Jerry's wife isn't losing weight - she lost 10 in Week 1 and
>> nothing for the next 4 weeks.
>> ** Carmen suggests she's either making mistakes or deliberately
>> messing up.
>> ** Ig bets she's cheating and said a ketostick check would settle it.
>>
>> > I'm 100 % sure she is not cheating or eating any low carb bars.
>> > I do.
>> > What is ketostck?

>> A ketostick is just a stick that turns colors if there's ketones in
>> your urine.
>> Jerry, she could be just doing a poor job of tracking her eating. Is
>> she weighing and measuring and assiduously recording everything she
>> eats or is she guesstimating?
>>
>> Take care,
>> Carmen
>> --
>> Please note change in Reply To address carmensrt <at> gmail <dot> com
>> Hotmail isn't working and is being abandoned

Do prisoners in a concentration camp gain weight when they're fed too
little?

--
You take stupid to a new level. -- MFW

"jjj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:W%[email protected]...
> Hi.
> I started low carb about six months ago and very easily lost 30 lb in
> first
> month and even thou this was my goal I lost another 10 lb since then. My
> wife on the other hand is having very hard time with it. She lost 10 lb in
> first week (I know it is water) but this is her fifth week and there is no
> change. She even lowered her calories and carb count to about 900 cal and
> 20
> gr of carbs per day and still nothing. She is very frustrated because I
> did
> not have to work to hard to loose my weight and now I just stay under 100
> carbs per day and don't watch calories and fat at all. We go to the gym
> several times a week so it is not lack of exercise. I guess some people
> have
> harder time with this then others. My question is : Is it possible she
> does
> not eat enough? Maybe you need to eat certain number of calories per day
> for
> your body to switch from burning carbs to burning fat? Any suggestions
> will
> be appreciated as I really want her to succeed.
> Jerry

160 lb.

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In news:[email protected],
> jjj <[email protected]> typed:
> > No. she is eating like a bird. That's why I posted this message.

> And she's been doing this for 4 weeks, with exercise? How much does she
> weigh?
>

> > Jerry
> > "Carmen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >> On 2-Feb-2005, "jjj" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> ** Jerry's wife isn't losing weight - she lost 10 in Week 1 and
> >> nothing for the next 4 weeks.
> >> ** Carmen suggests she's either making mistakes or deliberately
> >> messing up.
> >> ** Ig bets she's cheating and said a ketostick check would settle it.

> >> A ketostick is just a stick that turns colors if there's ketones in
> >> your urine.
> >> Jerry, she could be just doing a poor job of tracking her eating. Is
> >> she weighing and measuring and assiduously recording everything she
> >> eats or is she guesstimating?
> >>
> >> Take care,
> >> Carmen
> >> --
> >> Please note change in Reply To address carmensrt <at> gmail <dot> com
> >> Hotmail isn't working and is being abandoned

"jjj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:W%[email protected]...
> Hi.
> I started low carb about six months ago and very easily lost 30 lb in

first
> month and even thou this was my goal I lost another 10 lb since then. My
> wife on the other hand is having very hard time with it. She lost 10 lb in
> first week (I know it is water) but this is her fifth week and there is no
> change. She even lowered her calories and carb count to about 900 cal and

20
> gr of carbs per day and still nothing.

$$ I lost at the same amount of calories and gms of carbs but the side
effects were horrendous. If she starts to experience heart palpitations she
must stop! Make sure she's taking a good vitamin-mineral supplement as
well.

She is very frustrated because I did
> not have to work to hard to loose my weight and now I just stay under 100
> carbs per day and don't watch calories and fat at all. We go to the gym
> several times a week so it is not lack of exercise. I guess some people

have
> harder time with this then others.

$$ They do! But most people want to believe it works for everyone - it
doesn't!

My question is : Is it possible she does
> not eat enough?

$$ No one ever lost weight by eating MORE. At some point she will start to
burn FAT, the more active she is the faster that will happen. When they
told me to eat more to lose weight I GAINED!!!!

Maybe you need to eat certain number of calories per day for
> your body to switch from burning carbs to burning fat? Any suggestions

will
> be appreciated as I really want her to succeed.
> Jerry

$$ One size does not fit all Jerry. What works for one person can fail
miserably for another. Where I could not lose weight strict LCing at 1200
calories a day, I can when I consume more carbs and LESS FAT as I'm doing
now on Weight Watcher.
--
Wysong
Age 60. Height 5'6"

In news:D[email protected],
jjj <[email protected]> typed:
> 160 lb.

Let's see here:

1600/160 = 10x
1200/160 = 7.5x
1000/160 = 6.25x
900/160=5.6x

If she has slow metabolism, she might find it hard to lose quickly at
10x...and may need to stay around 6x to 7x...so being strict is a good idea
as is getting daily exercise. Also, I'd suggest she keep her carb level as
high as possible and no lower than that needed to keep appetite under
control. Carbs don't control weight loss, calories down. (Carbs do have to
do with appetite and water retention on a LC woe. Too many carbs and she add
temporary water weight, in many cases) If she goes to 6x or 7x, I'd
suggest she regularly have days where she eats at 10 to 12x....say every
saturday or sunday...but only one day a week.

If she can reallly stay at 6.25x for a week and exercise, there should be
some lost there. Of course, woman have to deal with TOM issues. Also, too
much salt could cause water retention which could mask scale loss. You
should start doing body measurements asap if you haven't.

jjj wrote:
> Hi.
> I started low carb about six months ago and very easily lost 30 lb in first
> month and even thou this was my goal I lost another 10 lb since then. My
> wife on the other hand is having very hard time with it. She lost 10 lb in
> first week (I know it is water) but this is her fifth week and there is no
> change. She even lowered her calories and carb count to about 900 cal and 20
> gr of carbs per day and still nothing. She is very frustrated because I did
> not have to work to hard to loose my weight and now I just stay under 100
> carbs per day and don't watch calories and fat at all. We go to the gym
> several times a week so it is not lack of exercise. I guess some people have
> harder time with this then others. My question is : Is it possible she does
> not eat enough? Maybe you need to eat certain number of calories per day for
> your body to switch from burning carbs to burning fat? Any suggestions will
> be appreciated as I really want her to succeed.
> Jerry

I don't know what kind of food you and your wife are consuming. Are they ready
packed meals? Sometimes I wonder if the calories count in those food are
actually what they says on the packaging. There was a while where was eating
the supermarket's own brand of sausages all the time and I got the impression
that the calories count printed on the package is actually lower than what it
really is. It seems like that you'll normally get more accurate measures of
calories consumed if you prepare your food from scratch, using the USDA database
to estimate the calories count.

If you are not sure of the Carb count in any food, don't eat it.
4 legs animal meats and bird meats are Carb free for sure.

Last, make sure you have healthy kidney and liver.

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 11:19:55 +0000, Ada Ma
<[email protected]> wrote:

=>jjj wrote:
[...]
=>>
=>
=>I don't know what kind of food you and your wife are consuming. Are they ready
=>packed meals? Sometimes I wonder if the calories count in those food are
=>actually what they says on the packaging. There was a while where was eating
=>the supermarket's own brand of sausages all the time and I got the impression
=>that the calories count printed on the package is actually lower than what it
=>really is. It seems like that you'll normally get more accurate measures of
=>calories consumed if you prepare your food from scratch, using the USDA database
=>to estimate the calories count.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> If you are not sure of the Carb count in any food, don't eat it.
> 4 legs animal meats and bird meats are Carb free for sure.

I'm sure TWO-legged animals are carb-free, too, but the specialty stores
for THOSE meats are hard to find (not to mention illegal) and the cost
is probably prohibitive :)

--
Saffire
205/144/125 - 5'1.5"