Not fit enough to ride to work

Tamyka Bell said:
I ride back to my car at the end of the day, in whatever
clothes I had in my office. I'm quite fond of the miniskirt, which stays
in place okay and actually drapes over the saddle without hanging in the
wheel.
It might drape over the saddle while sitting upright, but not when you lean forward to grab the handlebars. I've seen this in action.

Like myself, my sister rode to Uni. She also ran the aqua-aerobics class at the Uni swimming pool for a while, and one day rode to work in her excercise outfit, bathers plus short skirt (similar to netballers). I was riding behind, and was amused to observe the number of drivers who were not keeping their eyes on the road. They all seemed to have a neck spasm causing them to look over the left shoulder. It's a wonder she didn't cause an accident.

ghostgum wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> >
> > I ride back to my car at the end of the day, in whatever
> > clothes I had in my office. I'm quite fond of the miniskirt, which
> > stays
> > in place okay and actually drapes over the saddle without hanging in
> > the
> > wheel.
> >

> It might drape over the saddle while sitting upright, but not when you
> lean forward to grab the handlebars. I've seen this in action.
>
> Like myself, my sister rode to Uni. She also ran the aqua-aerobics
> class at the Uni swimming pool for a while, and one day rode to work in
> her excercise outfit, bathers plus short skirt (similar to netballers).
> I was riding behind, and was amused to observe the number of drivers who
> were not keeping their eyes on the road. They all seemed to have a neck
> spasm causing them to look over the left shoulder. It's a wonder she
> didn't cause an accident.

Rolling around the ringroad at ~12km/h is not enough to get a breeze
happening. Trust me, it drapes over the saddle.

Tam

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>
>>In aus.bicycle on Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:57:42 +1000
>>Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>in place okay and actually drapes over the saddle without hanging in the
>>>wheel. I get a nice breeze, but I have to wait until all the cars are
>>>gone before I can get on the bike. I'm now considering teaming this
>>>skirt with the red, white and blue sport socks...
>>>

>>So.. when wearing the miniskirt do you find the drivers see you more
>>clearly?
>>
>>Zebee

> Presumably ;-)
>
> Although Lotte and I got lots of friendly hello calls from cyclists this
> morning, which we don't get when the boys are around, and we were just
> dressed in standard lycra. Lotte was a b!tch and didn't respond. Okay -
> I know she didn't have hearing aids in - but they don't!
>
> Tam

I dunno maybe its my twisted mind but the thought of the mini skirt, the
bike, red white and blue socks and nice breeze is giving me evil
thoughts. heh heh sorry ;P

This threads ventured all this way into a wrong place, and no ones mentioned upskirt yet. Too polite? :eek:

flyingdutch wrote:
> dont come across the 'too unfit' excuse 'that much'; maybe 5% of
> excuses?

How many non-cyclists do you talk to?

I've come across quite a few people who consider me almost super human
for riding to work. Riding a bike is an athletic activity, that's why
all those people on Beach Road need the special clothes. If it was easy
then they would just ride in normal clothes, wouldn't they?

People who don't ride, don't walk and don't engage in any physical
activity other than walk to their car with maybe a little bit of gym
thrown in have no idea what they are actually capable of. Riding a bike
is too hard, driving a car is easy.

That's the perception of a lot of people.

> start him out on shorter stuff then he may be tempted to give it a
> crack :D

Currently they get out most Sundays to ride the bike path. The tag
along convertor's high on the shopping list which should extend his
range. Right `gofasterdaddy'Dutch? ;-)
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

Peter McCallum wrote:
> EuanB <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>How common is this perception I wonder? How many commuters are put off
>>of cycling because of the image that you need to be some sort of super
>>athlete to ride to work every day? Maybe I should start riding in a
>>tweed jacket and brogues, start to dsipell the notion that cycling has
>>to be a strenuous means of travel.

> The problem is, of course, that when you start cycling regularly, you do
> become a super athlete and everyone thinks that they have to be like you
> in order to participate. We need some Before and After shots to show
> people.

Maybe I just need to drink a lot more Surefoot.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

On 2006-04-26, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> I work after uni on Tuesdays and finish up really late, between 11pm and
> midnight usually. If I ride home, I get home very late and therefore get
> very little sleep. (Not true every time, so sometimes I ride it.) So I
> use this as the day I drive to uni, with my car in the boot for a
> morning ride with mates (or in case I am poor and can't afford to park
> on campus). I ride back to my car at the end of the day, in whatever
> clothes I had in my office. I'm quite fond of the miniskirt, which stays
> in place okay and actually drapes over the saddle without hanging in the
> wheel. I get a nice breeze, but I have to wait until all the cars are
> gone before I can get on the bike. I'm now considering teaming this
> skirt with the red, white and blue sport socks...

All these comments about your miniskirt, and nothing about the
incredible feat of fitting a car in your boot?

You a.bers are a one track mind.

--
TimC
Shame on you! Don't you love her? Girls don't want Kmart specials, they

On 2006-04-26, Bean Long (aka Bruce)
> Terry Collins wrote:
>> EuanB wrote:
>>
>>> How common is this perception I wonder?

>> First, I'd look at how they ride.
>> Low seats, using too high a gear, etc.

> Good point. Get them out on a few easy rides first and give them a once
> over for riding style and bike set-up. Then ride with them to work (if
> possible) and take it easy. One day they will thank you for it. Also,
> post them this thread.

Particularly all the comments about miniskirts. That'll get 'im
interested.

--
TimC
"pretty much, my thesis can be reduced to the letter tau" -- TimC

On 2006-04-26, Euan (aka Bruce)
> flyingdutch wrote:
>> dont come across the 'too unfit' excuse 'that much'; maybe 5% of
>> excuses?

> How many non-cyclists do you talk to?
>
> I've come across quite a few people who consider me almost super human
> for riding to work. Riding a bike is an athletic activity, that's why
> all those people on Beach Road need the special clothes. If it was easy
> then they would just ride in normal clothes, wouldn't they?

Feel free to mention that I rode in jeans and t-shirt for my first 8
years of regular commuting. I was originally close to my destination,
but every time I moved, I moved a few km further out. While he can't
do that, he can find ways of getting his bike to work by means other
than his legs. You can't expect to immediately jump into 17km
commutes.

It was only when I discovered the social aspect, and rode for things
other than utility, that I found I was riding longer and longer rides.
For those kind of rides, you discover the utility of all these
expensive cycling kit. Now that I have them, I find them infinitely
more comfortable than jeans, but I remember surviving quite well in
civilian clothes before I knew there was a better way of doing things.

--
TimC
SIGTHTBABW: a signal sent from Unix to its programmers at random

Yes, It's true that non cyclists think it's a mammoth task.

I'm in my early 60's and not a regular commuter - just a recreational
rider who occasionally does the 20 kms each way to work.

Workmates of all ages throw in the "you're mad" or "you must be fit"
line.

However, by far the strongest comments relate to traffic safety. Even
though most of my route is on bike paths, they still have this
obstacle re the perceived dangers.

I don't know how to get it through to them that much of one's safety
as a cyclist depends on your own caution and common sense if you
choose to ride that way.

Regarding being stuffed for the day, you can tell your friend that I
feel sharper by far on the days I ride in. Yes, I am lucky to have
showers there too and that helps.

With my above comments in mind, how about offering to travel in with
him to get him used to the idea and plan a sensible route for him
which is not too threatening.

Stewart.

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:00:47 +1000, EuanB
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Took the train home from the MCG with friends and family yesterday and
>it was packed. One of my friends is a regular train commuter and by
>his own admission, hates it.
>
>He lives in Hampton and works in the city. He works out of one office,
>has access to showers and good bike parking but he won't consider riding
>to work because he doesn't think he's fit enough.
>
>There's no denying he's no athlete but neither is he morbidly obese
>either. Hampton is about 17kms from the city and the route is largely
>flat. There's no question in my mind that he's capable, but he's
>convinced himself that cycling's bloody hard work and that if he rode
>in to the city it'd take him 90 minutes and he'd be stuffed for the
>rest of the day.
>
>How common is this perception I wonder? How many commuters are put off
>of cycling because of the image that you need to be some sort of super
>athlete to ride to work every day? Maybe I should start riding in a
>tweed jacket and brogues, start to dsipell the notion that cycling has
>to be a strenuous means of travel.

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:26:53 +1000
Stewart <[email protected]> wrote:

> However, by far the strongest comments relate to traffic safety. Even
> though most of my route is on bike paths, they still have this
> obstacle re the perceived dangers.

I get that too, even from people who don't think the motorcycle is
dangerous.

It's the tank problem - people are very bound up in needing a tank to
protect them rather than using their own brains.

So I tend to say "best bit of safety equipment is here" - ponting to
head - "and it's the only bit that wasn't put together by sweatshop
labourers in china"

Zebee

On 2006-04-26, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
> In aus.bicycle on Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:26:53 +1000
> Stewart <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> However, by far the strongest comments relate to traffic safety. Even
>> though most of my route is on bike paths, they still have this
>> obstacle re the perceived dangers.
>>

> I get that too, even from people who don't think the motorcycle is
> dangerous.
>
> It's the tank problem - people are very bound up in needing a tank to
> protect them rather than using their own brains.

Yeah, but branes go splat! They don't offer all that much protection
at all, and just make things messier to clean up.

Mmmm, branes.

--
TimC
Shift to the Left;

On 2006-04-26, Terry Collins <[email protected]> wrote:
> It is really, really hard to find decent clips for the pants legs these
> days.
>
> OTOH, you can just wear long socks under neath and pull them up on the
> outside. I recommend red, white and blue sports socks for that humour
> raising attention grabber.

Hey, you taking the p155? :^)

I do this and it works fine. Red Explorer socks show up really well.

It helps to be old enough not to worry about looking like a dork. Lost
track of my trouser clips 20+ years ago...

--
john
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no

TimC wrote:
> On 2006-04-26, Euan (aka Bruce)
>
>>flyingdutch wrote:
>>
>>>dont come across the 'too unfit' excuse 'that much'; maybe 5% of
>>>excuses?

>>How many non-cyclists do you talk to?
>>
>>I've come across quite a few people who consider me almost super human
>>for riding to work. Riding a bike is an athletic activity, that's why
>>all those people on Beach Road need the special clothes. If it was easy
>>then they would just ride in normal clothes, wouldn't they?

> Feel free to mention that I rode in jeans and t-shirt for my first 8
> years of regular commuting. I was originally close to my destination,
> but every time I moved, I moved a few km further out. While he can't
> do that, he can find ways of getting his bike to work by means other
> than his legs. You can't expect to immediately jump into 17km
> commutes.

You're missing my point. He hasn't said anything about the clothes that
people wear.

Take yourself out of the mind of a cyclist and put yourself in to the
mind of a man in his mid thirties who's only exercise is a leisurely
walk around the city at lunchtime and a very gentle pootle down the bike
path. This man lives very close to Beach Road. Just about all the
cyclists he sees are doing imitiations of pro peletons.

To ride a bike you have to be fit. Its perception, flawed perception
but perception none the less.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

Stewart wrote:
> Yes, It's true that non cyclists think it's a mammoth task.
>
> I'm in my early 60's and not a regular commuter - just a recreational
> rider who occasionally does the 20 kms each way to work.
>
> Workmates of all ages throw in the "you're mad" or "you must be fit"
> line.
>
> However, by far the strongest comments relate to traffic safety. Even
> though most of my route is on bike paths, they still have this
> obstacle re the perceived dangers.
>
> I don't know how to get it through to them that much of one's safety
> as a cyclist depends on your own caution and common sense if you
> choose to ride that way.
>
> Regarding being stuffed for the day, you can tell your friend that I
> feel sharper by far on the days I ride in. Yes, I am lucky to have
> showers there too and that helps.
>
> With my above comments in mind, how about offering to travel in with
> him to get him used to the idea and plan a sensible route for him
> which is not too threatening.

Already done that and all the other usual things which people have been
suggesting. One can only push so hard though without becoming a pain in
the ass.

Cajole and encourage gently, don't ram it down the throat :)
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

TimC said:
Feel free to mention that I rode in jeans and t-shirt for my first 8
years of regular commuting...

that explains the squeeky voice :D

PS hope you and the fixie-candidate got home OK?

Euan said:
How many non-cyclists do you talk to?

Lots. but i turn up my nose at them :D

By 5% i was (obviously not well) trying to say that far more percieve safety as a bigger barrier to commuting than fitness

Euan said:
Currently they get out most Sundays to ride the bike path. The tag
along convertor's high on the shopping list which should extend his
range. Right `gofasterdaddy'Dutch? ;-)

Oh yeah. tends to turn you into 'Diesel' Jan on hills tho :rolleyes:

PS youngest is insisting she rides her bike to school tomorrow.
Hear me grin :D:D:D
Looks like I'm going in late tomorrow to lend support, advice, mechanical feats out of window (will need to carry window on my bike :rolleyes: )

Euan wrote:
> Stewart wrote:
> > Yes, It's true that non cyclists think it's a mammoth task.
> >
> > I'm in my early 60's and not a regular commuter - just a recreational
> > rider who occasionally does the 20 kms each way to work.
> >
> > Workmates of all ages throw in the "you're mad" or "you must be fit"
> > line.
> >
> > However, by far the strongest comments relate to traffic safety. Even
> > though most of my route is on bike paths, they still have this
> > obstacle re the perceived dangers.
> >
> > I don't know how to get it through to them that much of one's safety
> > as a cyclist depends on your own caution and common sense if you
> > choose to ride that way.
> >
> > Regarding being stuffed for the day, you can tell your friend that I
> > feel sharper by far on the days I ride in. Yes, I am lucky to have
> > showers there too and that helps.
> >
> > With my above comments in mind, how about offering to travel in with
> > him to get him used to the idea and plan a sensible route for him
> > which is not too threatening.

> Already done that and all the other usual things which people have been
> suggesting. One can only push so hard though without becoming a pain in
> the ass.
>
> Cajole and encourage gently, don't ram it down the throat :)

If he won't do it, he won't do it. You can lead a horse to water ...

Euan said:
Stewart wrote:
snip
One can only push so hard though without becoming a pain in
the ass.

Cajole and encourage gently, don't ram it down the throat :)
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,
Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)
so true...

people decide to ride when the light comes on...whatever reason it is, only they will take that momentous step...

I rode as a kid...everywhere...stacked, had a ball, took the skin off my nose, pushed a tooth through my lips, broke my arm after a 20 foot fall into a drain with my bike along for the fall...all that...then for whatever reason never really rode for any consequent purpose for 30 years, now I ride every day and even though my commute is a walk in slippers from my bedroom to my office on the other side of my house...I find time to ride...I make time to ride as I know it has given me back a standard of health I could never hope to achieve by just being a jogger- gym goer.

I have met a myriad of new friends from riding and had a ball along the journey, and on top, my vision is better, my peripheral circulation is vastly improved, pathology tests tell my Dr. she needs to get more patients as she wont make much out of me. I perform better (!!!), at work and play and have a much better attitude to my life, my family and this world, and I reckon I cope with life's pressures and its ups and downs vastly better than I could have if I was the sedentary slob that I was destined to become when my post athletic life met business/investment/GNP/indices/micro processors & the internet.

What was the divining moment, the light bulb going off, the great revelation?

A realisation that my family had a history of early deaths, all people who had been active and very fit in their teens, become parents, settled down and joined the sedentary workers of this world in human endeavor that brought pressures, fast food, short sleep and mass produced edibles of dubious benefit to a healthy and long lived life.

I wanted to be different, to make a statement to me and be there for my kids, and so it became a present to me, a new bike one Christmas, this quickly grew into a quiver of 4 bikes for road, racing, meandering and track...

My best friend at the time was an early morning swimmer with me and he talked about his "rides", on his council cleanup bike he found on the kerb, he rode in shorts, sneakers and a giggle hat along the bike path from Beaumaris to Brighton with his daughter, had a coffee and rode home...seems like a great idea to me...and off I go to get my bike...but you know, we have never ridden together...ever...as soon as I started to ride (on the road) he said to me .."no way will I ride on the road" and he now maybe once a month goes out on his trusty old much used machine and rides IMHO the most dangerous route along the beach bike path....

he said he got a sore butt, so I gave him some new knicks, never wore them, he said he had a flapping shirt which was a pain, so I gave him a new jersey...has never worn it...he said his old helmet was too small, so I gave him one of mine, quite a good one...he has never worn it....

so you see no matter what we do or say for others about riding, or encouraging them...really it will and can only happen when they decide and even then it will be on their terms...

just ride on...enjoy what you do and spread the message that riding is fun, healthy and good for the community...

what else can you do ?

On 2006-04-26, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)

> TimC Wrote:
>>
>> Feel free to mention that I rode in jeans and t-shirt for my first 8
>> years of regular commuting...

> that explains the squeeky voice :D

Oy!

> PS hope you and the fixie-candidate got home OK?

Yep. The chain was shite! Lots of binding links, but I removed those
with an adjustable spanner (the only thing I had on me suitable). Got
to get the chain home to a good bath, because it's almost dripping
with oil.

Might check out where the noise is coming from in the wheels before I
go home (might not, then again, given I need to be up early in the
morning) -- I trued them both, but it's making the sound of a broken
spoke.

Biopace is interesting. I've read Sheldon's opinion on it (is good,
unlike other eccentric rings, and it will actually work as a fixie).

Is it Peter Moore who is the fixie fixer of choice? I'll need to
build a wheel around the flip flop hub, dunno how much that will set
me back.

And finally, when I was trying to get the tight spots out of the
chain, I decided to practice my chain breaking skills. Turns out they
are non existant. Can't get the screw thingy to stay put as I
tightened it. I'm really going to need to learn how to do this
sooner, rather than later. And of course, fixing the chain back
together.

--
TimC
[advice on riding in traffic:] make eye contact with drivers at every