Not fit enough to ride to work

rooman wrote:

[Snip lots of good stuff]
> just ride on...enjoy what you do and spread the message that riding is
> fun, healthy and good for the community...
>
> what else can you do ?

Exactly. Well said.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

--
Frank
[email protected]
"EuanB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Took the train home from the MCG with friends and family yesterday and
> it was packed. One of my friends is a regular train commuter and by
> his own admission, hates it.
>
> He lives in Hampton and works in the city. He works out of one office,
> has access to showers and good bike parking but he won't consider riding
> to work because he doesn't think he's fit enough.
>
> There's no denying he's no athlete but neither is he morbidly obese
> either. Hampton is about 17kms from the city and the route is largely
> flat. There's no question in my mind that he's capable, but he's
> convinced himself that cycling's bloody hard work and that if he rode
> in to the city it'd take him 90 minutes and he'd be stuffed for the
> rest of the day.
>
> How common is this perception I wonder? How many commuters are put off
> of cycling because of the image that you need to be some sort of super
> athlete to ride to work every day? Maybe I should start riding in a
> tweed jacket and brogues, start to dsipell the notion that cycling has
> to be a strenuous means of travel.
>

> --
> EuanB

Try getting him to take a bike on the train and train half way and ride the
rest. Surely he can be convinced that he's capable of cycling 8km or so. He
can then build it up from there. There's no reason to think of cycling as
excluding other transport - multi mode commuting can suit many people.

I think the perception that cycling is hard work is linked to the idea that
"I cycle OR train/drive..." so cycling the full distance is seen as too
hard. Not many people I know would consider a 10km ride short.

Cycling required a rewire of thought in more ways than one. Perceptions are
hard to break For example (my usual responses in brackets) cycling takes
longer (and can teach you to slow down your life a bit!), it's hard work
(but people drive to the gym to work out), it's rainy/cold/hot/etc (so only
ride when the weather's good for you), you can't carry heavy stuff (so only
ride when you don't have heavy stuff to carry). Overall, to regularly cycle
people have to develop another habit (cycling) and that's hard to do - it's
another commitment to make in a world full of commitments.

I've got a few people riding occasionally, not regularly. Some will make it
regular when they realise they feel better when they get to work than they
do when they drive. Some will stay fair weather cyclists - fine; at least
they are not driving *some* of the time.

Overall, I think breaking the binary "cycle OR other" thought process is the
key to starting small changes. Change is easier when it's seen as
incremental rather than radical.

At least your friend is using the train, not driving.

Hmm not bad for a pre coffee post :)

Frank

Stewart wrote:

<snip>
> Regarding being stuffed for the day, you can tell your friend that I
> feel sharper by far on the days I ride in. Yes, I am lucky to have
> showers there too and that helps.

<snip>

And I bet you feel not only sharper, but also happier, on the days you
ride in :)

Tam

John Pitts said:
I do this and it works fine. Red Explorer socks show up really well.
You don't live in Brisbane and ride around Indooroopilly do you?!?!?

John Pitts wrote:

> Hey, you taking the p155? :^)

Naah, that would be admitting that I now have hand knitted rainbow
socks[1] that I use when I ride in winter, but I'm not allowed to leave
the house when wearing them {:)

> I do this and it works fine. Red Explorer socks show up really well.

Okay, will look for these. Need to replace mine

The RW&B died on a rogaine from grass seeds. I was tempted to sprout the
dam things.

The red and orange long socks just wore out in the foot.

> It helps to be old enough not to worry about looking like a dork. Lost
> track of my trouser clips 20+ years ago...

Hey, looking like a dork is a secret weapon {:).

[1] Part of swmbo dowry.

Plodder said:
--
> [...]

(but people drive to the gym to work out), it's rainy/cold/hot/etc (so only
ride when the weather's good for you), you can't carry heavy stuff (so only
ride when you don't have heavy stuff to carry). Overall, to regularly cycle
people have to develop another habit (cycling) and that's hard to do - it's
another commitment to make in a world full of commitments.

I've got a few people riding occasionally, not regularly. Some will make it
regular when they realise they feel better when they get to work than they
do when they drive. Some will stay fair weather cyclists - fine; at least
they are not driving *some* of the time.

Overall, I think breaking the binary "cycle OR other" thought process is the
key to starting small changes. Change is easier when it's seen as
incremental rather than radical.

At least your friend is using the train, not driving.

many mornings I ride with a small bunch from Black Rock to Station Pier via Beach Road, it is 18klm from the Clock Twr to The London Hotel roundabout.

many commuters seen enroute and all riding somewhere between 20 and 28klm/hr, maybe a few working up a sweat doing a higher rate over 30kph.

From hampton it is about 12ks or so to pickles street, and a short spin up City Rd to Southbank and into the city.

This isnt a hard commute, it isnt a hard social ride and it certainly isnt a hard newbies ride. It is mainly flat and there is always the path if a traffic incident blocks the road or backs up.

I would encourage anyone who lives in Hampton and has the facillities at their city work for shower/storeage to do that ride at least three days a week and see the beneifits that follow quickly...others will join or at least start to ride, there will be a flow on... and it shouldnt take more than 40-50 minutes at an easy pace each way.

Offer to do a ride with them at first and see if they will go along with you to get familiar with the experience, soon they will make their mind up that their reluctance was based on an illogical or irrational fear and will thank you for the time you took to help the over that.

good luck

Tamyka Bell wrote:

> Rolling around the ringroad at ~12km/h is not enough to get a breeze
> happening. Trust me, it drapes over the saddle.

Damnit, RIDE FASTER!

Bleve wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
>

> > Rolling around the ringroad at ~12km/h is not enough to get a breeze
> > happening. Trust me, it drapes over the saddle.

> Damnit, RIDE FASTER!

Hehehe :p

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:35:21 GMT, Euan wrote:

> flyingdutch wrote:
>> dont come across the 'too unfit' excuse 'that much'; maybe 5% of
>> excuses?

He probably has many worries about cycling, being not fit enough would be
one, and the one that popped into his head first.

> How many non-cyclists do you talk to?
>
> I've come across quite a few people who consider me almost super human
> for riding to work. Riding a bike is an athletic activity, that's why
> all those people on Beach Road need the special clothes. If it was easy
> then they would just ride in normal clothes, wouldn't they?

17km was about the distance of a commute that I used to do. It took me a
month to build up the fitness to do it easily everyday, and it did take me
90 minutes to start off. Though there were lots of hills.

For that commute you probably would need cycling clothes. I found that even
though it was Winter I was sweating enough to make my shorts and underwear
sweaty and sticky causing chaffing and pimples on my ****. One $40 pair of
Netti basics from Rebel made it a much more enjoyable experience.

dewatf.

Yes Tam you are right.

Can't get the grin off my silly dial all day.

Stewart.

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:17:47 +0000, TimC wrote:

> Feel free to mention that I rode in jeans and t-shirt for my first 8
> years of regular commuting.

Feel free to mention that since quitting my job 25km from home, and going
to uni ~6km from home, I regularly ride my SS in shorts and a t-shirt.
Don't need a shower, though on stinking hot days I'll carry a change of
shirt and some shower-in-a-can just in case. And there are hills involved.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic."

On 2006-04-27, LotteBum <[email protected]> wrote:

> John Pitts Wrote:
>> I do this and it works fine. Red Explorer socks show up really well.

> You don't live in Brisbane and ride around Indooroopilly do you?!?!?

No, Dubbo. But it's good to see that tasteful cycling attire is worn
elsewhere.

--
John
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
> >
> > Tamyka Bell wrote:
> >

> > > Rolling around the ringroad at ~12km/h is not enough to get a breeze
> > > happening. Trust me, it drapes over the saddle.

> > Damnit, RIDE FASTER!

> Hehehe :p

>From Bleve and TimC's comments, anyone would think they haven't seen

riders in mini-skirts before. Fellas, you need to take a holiday in
Brisbane -it happens all the time here ... and unlike some places, they
are all females. The QAS squad has a particularly fetching pleated
outfit, with pompoms. There are a few goosebumps showing up at the
moment, with morning temps getting down to the mid-teens ... but our
riders are tough enough.

Donga

dewatf wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:35:21 GMT, Euan wrote:
>
>> flyingdutch wrote:
>>> dont come across the 'too unfit' excuse 'that much'; maybe 5% of
>>> excuses?

> He probably has many worries about cycling, being not fit enough would be
> one, and the one that popped into his head first.
>
>> How many non-cyclists do you talk to?
>>
>> I've come across quite a few people who consider me almost super human
>> for riding to work. Riding a bike is an athletic activity, that's why
>> all those people on Beach Road need the special clothes. If it was easy
>> then they would just ride in normal clothes, wouldn't they?

> 17km was about the distance of a commute that I used to do. It took me a
> month to build up the fitness to do it easily everyday, and it did take me
> 90 minutes to start off. Though there were lots of hills.
>
> For that commute you probably would need cycling clothes. I found that even
> though it was Winter I was sweating enough to make my shorts and underwear
> sweaty and sticky causing chaffing and pimples on my ****. One $40 pair of
> Netti basics from Rebel made it a much more enjoyable experience.
>
> dewatf.

Hmmm... thanks so much for the pimply **** images.

My 17k ride feels much better in cycling gear too. Both summer and
winter. And a road bike is what helped me chop a massive 28 min off my
ride time since my first attempt.

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

"Zebee Johnstone" wrote

> After ages of reading a.b it was refereshing to turn up to a massbug
> ride and find people on elderly racers with friction shifts, bottom

of
> the rage 10yo mountain bikes, and other real world items :)

My best bike has friction shifters, on the down-tube where they
belong.

Theo

"Euan" wrote

> Maybe I just need to drink a lot more Surefoot.

Beer, mate?

Theo

John Pitts wrote:

> No, Dubbo. But it's good to see that tasteful cycling attire is worn
> elsewhere.

What is Dubbo like as a bicycling town?
And where would you go for overnight bicycle trips away[1]

Might be able to afford the petrol money to visit one day.

[1] nope, I don't want to feed the animals at the Zoo {:).

Donga said:
There are a few goosebumps showing up at the
moment, with morning temps getting down to the mid-teens ... but our
riders are tough enough.

Donga

obviously not if 'mid-teens' is cause for thinking it's cold :D

On 2006-04-28, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)
> "Euan" wrote
>
>> Maybe I just need to drink a lot more Surefoot.

> Beer, mate?

Ta! Pint for me, thanks.

--
TimC
You're trying to trick me into being intelligent. It won't work.

flyingdutch wrote:
> Donga Wrote:
>> There are a few goosebumps showing up at the
>> moment, with morning temps getting down to the mid-teens ... but our
>> riders are tough enough.
>>
>> Donga

> obviously not if 'mid-teens' is cause for thinking it's cold :D

Thank god it gets UP TO the mid-teens by home time here in CBR!!