Not fit enough to ride to work

Donga wrote:

>From Bleve and TimC's comments, anyone would think they haven't seen
> riders in mini-skirts before. Fellas, you need to take a holiday in
> Brisbane -it happens all the time here ... and unlike some places, they
> are all females.

It's been pointed out to me that I forgot male triathletes, who seem to
like giving "upskirt". ;-)

Donga

On 2006-04-28, Terry Collins <[email protected]> wrote:
> What is Dubbo like as a bicycling town?

Good, unless you like climbing. Most of the hills are pretty gentle
here. Cycling is popular here and appears to be becoming more so.
There's a BUG which has weekly rides, and there seems to be a couple of
racing clubs (haven't checked them out.)

I see a reasonable number of cycle commuters and fitness cyclists, and
kids on BMXes everywhere.

> And where would you go for overnight bicycle trips away[1]

I've never done any cycle touring. What kind of distances are you
talking about?

--
John
When C++ is your hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> "Euan" wrote
>

>>Maybe I just need to drink a lot more Surefoot.

> Beer, mate?

Mountain Goat brew. Very nice :)
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

John Pitts wrote:
> On 2006-04-28, Terry Collins <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>What is Dubbo like as a bicycling town?

> Good, unless you like climbing. Most of the hills are pretty gentle
> here. Cycling is popular here and appears to be becoming more so.
> There's a BUG which has weekly rides,

Good info, thanks.
Our last visit was far too fleeting.

> I've never done any cycle touring. What kind of distances are you
> talking about?

I should just dig out some maps. I'll be a bit more motivated to visit
rellies and go onto Dubbo for a look see then.

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:21:55 +1000, Bean Long wrote:

> And a road bike is what helped me chop a massive 28 min off my
> ride time since my first attempt.

Must have been red!

I was looking at buying an OCR2 or something. But only about a quarter of
the ride was flat; I got the time down to 55 min. on the MTB once I was fit
enough to keep some speed up the hills and pedal on the downhills; the MTB
is maneuverable; and I am much happier locking a 2 year old MTB up to
street sign than new $1500 road bike.

At the moment my commute is an easy 25 minutes so the MTB is fine for that.

dewatf.

dewatf wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:21:55 +1000, Bean Long wrote:
>
>> And a road bike is what helped me chop a massive 28 min off my
>> ride time since my first attempt.

> Must have been red!
>
> I was looking at buying an OCR2 or something. But only about a quarter of
> the ride was flat; I got the time down to 55 min. on the MTB once I was
> fit enough to keep some speed up the hills and pedal on the downhills; the
> MTB is maneuverable; and I am much happier locking a 2 year old MTB up to
> street sign than new $1500 road bike.
>
> At the moment my commute is an easy 25 minutes so the MTB is fine for
> that.
>
> dewatf.

Yes, bike security is one of the more significant things which discourage me
from using my bike to go to the local shops. It seems less effort to walk
(less than 1 km) than fiddle around locking up the bike and removing
various bits which could be stolen. I am tempted to fix up an old cheap
bike just for local shopping.

The bloke next door to us went down to the shops on his bike at one time
when I was walking the same way. He passed me and arrived first, but I
walked into the shops while he was locking up.

When you add bike security to the other little issues of wearing suitable
attire, finding/carrying a helmet and backpack, then carrying stuff home, I
wonder why I read so much on the web about bikes being great transport for
shopping. Using eyeball statistics, the most spontaneous use of bikes
still seems to be by youngsters who just dump the bike down at a mate's
place after buzzing along from home.

Thankfully, my commuter bike ride is no problem because it is longer and I
can take the bike into where I work.

Cheers,

Vince

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:06:07 +0800, Vincent Patrick wrote:

> I am tempted to fix up an old cheap bike just for local shopping.

Or buy a Big W bike, they were selling Dunlop MTBs for $89 on special last
month. All the bikes left around the local shops and railway station are
either 20 years old or Dunlop or Huffy MTBs.

dewatf.

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:06:07 +0800, Vincent Patrick wrote:

> I am tempted to fix up an old cheap bike just for local shopping.

Do it! Get a cheap helmet (or use an old one you wouldn't use normally).
All it's got to do is stop someone booking you. If you're concerned about
a stack on the way to or from the shops, you might want to leave a good
helmet near the bike.

I need to get a new front wheel for my station bike - it really isn't
worth fixing - but my uni bike is a singlespeed bodged up out of a ~15
year old mountain bike. It rides nicely, is plenty of bike for the ~6km to
uni, and I'm not particularly concerned about locking it up. I'll be
annoyed if it goes walkies, since I quite like the bike, but it's unlikely
because it looks like a POS.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
There are some things so serious you have to laugh at them. - Niels Bohr

Vincent Patrick wrote:
> I am tempted to fix up an old cheap
> bike just for local shopping.

Just look for the ejects on council rubbish collections. Many seem to
just require new tyres and tubes and a bit of oil.

Random Data wrote:
> and I'm not particularly concerned about locking it up.

If you park it in the same spot at uni, just cart in a humungous chain
and padlock and leave it in place.

Cover with mtb tube(s) if scratching your frame is a worry.

> I'll be
> annoyed if it goes walkies, since I quite like the bike, but it's unlikely
> because it looks like a POS.

Helps.

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:06:07 +0800
Vincent Patrick <[email protected]> wrote:
> When you add bike security to the other little issues of wearing suitable
> attire, finding/carrying a helmet and backpack, then carrying stuff home, I
> wonder why I read so much on the web about bikes being great transport for
> shopping. Using eyeball statistics, the most spontaneous use of bikes
> still seems to be by youngsters who just dump the bike down at a mate's
> place after buzzing along from home.

Because the people buying all that stuff aren't using it for daily
work, the bikes and kit available are all for leisure use.

A shopping bike would be a load carrier, not that fancy, no quick
release, lights bolted on, a generator not a battery, and a built in
lock that just has to be clipped around something, or that just stops
the thing from being ridden away.

It would have lockable storage containing the pump and tools.

But your average leisure cyclist won't want that - too ugly, too
heavy. So no market. Like 'bents, the market won't be there till the
bikes are easily and cheaply available, but they won't be easily and
cheaply available until the market's there....

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:06:07 +0800
> Vincent Patrick <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>When you add bike security to the other little issues of wearing suitable
>>attire, finding/carrying a helmet and backpack, then carrying stuff home, I
>>wonder why I read so much on the web about bikes being great transport for
>>shopping. Using eyeball statistics, the most spontaneous use of bikes
>>still seems to be by youngsters who just dump the bike down at a mate's
>>place after buzzing along from home.

> Because the people buying all that stuff aren't using it for daily
> work, the bikes and kit available are all for leisure use.

Codswallop.

I use my bike for shopping and commuting. It's a Trek 1200 fitted out
with a rack and panniers. With a 30km commute the time it takes to
detach the panniers (2 seconds) detach the lights (5 seconds) and lock
it (20 seconds) is negligeable.

The reverse takes a little longer, ten seconds to attach the panniers,
ten seconds to attach the light and thirty to stow the lock. Compared
to trawling the streets for a car park that's no time at all.

> A shopping bike would be a load carrier, not that fancy, no quick
> release, lights bolted on, a generator not a battery, and a built in
> lock that just has to be clipped around something, or that just stops
> the thing from being ridden away.

You've got to lock your bike to something, it's trivial to pick up a
locked bike and dump it in the back of a Ute.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 30 Apr 2006 07:31:16 GMT
Euan <[email protected]> wrote:
> Codswallop.
>
> I use my bike for shopping and commuting. It's a Trek 1200 fitted out
> with a rack and panniers. With a 30km commute the time it takes to
> detach the panniers (2 seconds) detach the lights (5 seconds) and lock
> it (20 seconds) is negligeable.

Problem I think is that you assume everyone's like you. IF they were,
there'd be lots of bikes doing what you do, but there aren't... So
maybe everyone else isn't.

> You've got to lock your bike to something, it's trivial to pick up a
> locked bike and dump it in the back of a Ute.

If it's wanted. An expensive bike with expensive stuff is wanted....

A Trek 2300 with ortliebs? Yes. A chinese "work bike"?

Zebee

Terry Collins said:
Just look for the ejects on council rubbish collections. Many seem to
just require new tyres and tubes and a bit of oil.

Speaking of such, we just returning from hardwaste *shopping*. Picked up a Sturmey 3-speed hub + gear lever still attached by cable, will later clean off the grime to find the model / year of manufacture. Amongst other treasures found, we also picked up the *perfect shelf* for scanner/printer/computer stuff, plus a virtually brand new replacement for my old office chair that finally gave up this week. Incidentally, the old office chair was picked up via another hardwaste about 4-5 years ago. Who needs Ikea huh? :D

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Sun, 30 Apr 2006 07:31:16 GMT
> Euan <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Codswallop.
>>
>>I use my bike for shopping and commuting. It's a Trek 1200 fitted out
>>with a rack and panniers. With a 30km commute the time it takes to
>>detach the panniers (2 seconds) detach the lights (5 seconds) and lock
>>it (20 seconds) is negligeable.

> Problem I think is that you assume everyone's like you. IF they were,
> there'd be lots of bikes doing what you do, but there aren't... So
> maybe everyone else isn't.

Not everyone certainly, but there are a lot of people who do.

>>You've got to lock your bike to something, it's trivial to pick up a
>>locked bike and dump it in the back of a Ute.

> If it's wanted. An expensive bike with expensive stuff is wanted....
>
> A Trek 2300 with ortliebs? Yes. A chinese "work bike"?

Absolutely. Think it makes a difference to someone feeding their drug
habit?
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 30 Apr 2006 08:35:50 GMT
Euan <[email protected]> wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>> In aus.bicycle on Sun, 30 Apr 2006 07:31:16 GMT
>> Euan <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Codswallop.
>>>
>>>I use my bike for shopping and commuting. It's a Trek 1200 fitted out
>>>with a rack and panniers. With a 30km commute the time it takes to
>>>detach the panniers (2 seconds) detach the lights (5 seconds) and lock
>>>it (20 seconds) is negligeable.

>> Problem I think is that you assume everyone's like you. IF they were,
>> there'd be lots of bikes doing what you do, but there aren't... So
>> maybe everyone else isn't.

> Not everyone certainly, but there are a lot of people who do.

BUt we are talking about why people aren't using bikes for shopping.

No reason to talk about the ones who do.... What's at issue is those
who aren't.

That you find things easy or doable isn't useful as to why others
don't.

To say "but they should" is both arrogant and foolish if you want more
riders.

Zebee

Euan <[email protected]> wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>>
>> A Trek 2300 with ortliebs? Yes. A chinese "work bike"?

> Absolutely. Think it makes a difference to someone feeding their drug
> habit?

How many druggies who steal do you know?

The ones I know are quite knowledgeable about what they can get money
for and what they can't.

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Sun, 30 Apr 2006 08:35:50 GMT
> Euan <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Zebee Johnstone wrote:

>>>Problem I think is that you assume everyone's like you. IF they were,
>>>there'd be lots of bikes doing what you do, but there aren't... So
>>>maybe everyone else isn't.

>>Not everyone certainly, but there are a lot of people who do.

> BUt we are talking about why people aren't using bikes for shopping.

Are we?

Number one reason, there aren't that many supermarkets which have
adequate bicycle parking. Southland (large Westland shopping centre) is
a lot easier for me to get to by bicycle than it is by car and there are
a few bicycle hoops. Would I feel comfortable leaving my bike there
while I go watch a movie, have some food, do the shopping then head
home? Not on your nellie.

Same with DFO just down the road. The village, well it's a ten minute
walk so why would I take the bike?

> To say "but they should" is both arrogant and foolish if you want more
> riders.

Which I have not said, so why are you saying this?
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Sun, 30 Apr 2006 08:35:50 GMT
> Euan <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>>
>>>A Trek 2300 with ortliebs? Yes. A chinese "work bike"?

>>Absolutely. Think it makes a difference to someone feeding their drug
>>habit?

> How many druggies who steal do you know?
>
> The ones I know are quite knowledgeable about what they can get money
> for and what they can't.

So because the ones you know know something about bikes we're to assume
that all druggies who steal do?
--
Cheers | ~~ __@

Euan said:
So because the ones you know know something about bikes we're to assume
that all druggies who steal do?

Your arrogancy is astonishing Euan. A tip for this Sunday evening.

Get off the computer.