Not Happy

Madasu

Guest
Going at some speed down the A6 Stockport today I hit a sunken grain in the cycle lane. The huge
jolt through my bike and body caused my front light to jump off it's stand and disintegrate. Last
Two miles without a front light.

I've emailed Stockport highways telling them they owe me a front light but I'll settle for the lane
being fixed. I'll let you know what happens

--
Madasu

In message <[email protected]>, Madasu <[email protected]> writes

>Going at some speed down the A6 Stockport today I hit a sunken grain in the cycle lane. The huge
>jolt through my bike and body caused my front light to jump off it's stand and disintegrate. Last
>Two miles without a front light.
>
>I've emailed Stockport highways telling them they owe me a front light but I'll settle for the lane
>being fixed. I'll let you know what happens

Don't settle for that get what you are owed. As well as the lamp check that your wheels/tyres
aren't damaged.

get a photo of the offending grating/drain (with something to show the size if possible)

i wouldn't rely on the emailed response it depends on how organised they are plenty of places with
email addressees aren't organised to answer them properly.

I would ring the Highways department ask where to send a claim, and put the claim in writing
--
Chris French, Leeds

DEAD RIGHT

If you have the time - go to the spot AS SOON as you can.

Take a camera and use a tape measure in the photo to show the size.

Alternatively, stick your foot into the photo - again to give a size of the problem.

Don't rely on an e-mail response.

I got £120 for a broken back wheel just before christmas due to going down a pot hole - the above method worked for me !!

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:01:05 +0000, Madasu went and written:

> Going at some speed down the A6 Stockport today I hit a sunken grain in the cycle lane. The huge
> jolt through my bike and body caused my front light to jump off it's stand and disintegrate. Last
> Two miles without a front light.
>
> I've emailed Stockport highways telling them they owe me a front light but I'll settle for the
> lane being fixed. I'll let you know what happens

I woke up this morning thinking whether the front wheel is now out of true. I'll check it out. I
needed a new/better lamp anyway.

Thanks for the advice
--
Madasu

chris French <[email protected]> wrote:

> i wouldn't rely on the emailed response it depends on how organised they are plenty of places with
> email addressees aren't organised to answer them properly.

I always email the LA chief executive when I need to deal with the LA. The LA seems to work quicker
from the top to the bottom.

"Madasu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Going at some speed down the A6 Stockport today I hit a sunken grain in
the
> cycle lane. The huge jolt through my bike and body caused my front light
> jump off it's stand and disintegrate. Last Two miles without a front
light.

> I've emailed Stockport highways telling them they owe me a front light but I'll settle for the
> lane being fixed. I'll let you know what happens

Have a look at these articles on how to claim for pothole damage and watch
out for those grains in future, those ears of wheat are especially nasty ;-)

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/z20mph1.htm

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/z20mph2.htm

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/z20mph3.htm

In news:[email protected], Madasu <[email protected]> typed:

> I've emailed Stockport highways telling them they owe me a front light but I'll settle for the
> lane being fixed. I'll let you know what happens

I'd also call them on the hotline - ( 0800 068 4996) and *get the log number* and if possible the
*name* of the individual officer you were dealing with. I have found in many organisations that
e-mails go unnoticed or unanswered *until* they are chased by a telephone call :(

The log number should hopefully help with keeping track of the claim for compensation as well.

I would not though in the first instance notify the Press (perhaps only if the claim is firstly
refused) -as I have seen instances in both commercial and public organisations where customer
service staff have *reduced* compensation *because* the customer has also complained to the Press -
as they don't want to set a public precedent for high compensation levels.

Alex

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:01:05 +0000, Madasu went and written:

> Going at some speed down the A6 Stockport today I hit a sunken grain in the cycle lane. The huge
> jolt through my bike and body caused my front light to jump off it's stand and disintegrate. Last
> Two miles without a front light.
>
> I've emailed Stockport highways telling them they owe me a front light but I'll settle for the
> lane being fixed. I'll let you know what happens

Well Stockport may not have the best cycling surfaces but I did get a reply to my email with a
free-phone number, two incident references and two additional contact names (Two because I also
complained about an auful patch of road I have to travel on almost every time I go out on the bike).
--
Madasu

I live in Stockport. Didn't realise any of the roads were now tarmac! There are holes both you and
your bike could disappear down if you ride round the Heatons area. "Madasu" <[email protected]>
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:01:05 +0000, Madasu went and written:
>

> > Going at some speed down the A6 Stockport today I hit a sunken grain in
the
> > cycle lane. The huge jolt through my bike and body caused my front
light to
> > jump off it's stand and disintegrate. Last Two miles without a front
light.

> > I've emailed Stockport highways telling them they owe me a front light
but
> > I'll settle for the lane being fixed. I'll let you know what happens
>
> Well Stockport may not have the best cycling surfaces but I did get a
reply
> to my email with a free-phone number, two incident references and two additional contact names
> (Two because I also complained about an auful
patch
> of road I have to travel on almost every time I go out on the bike).
> --
> Madasu

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 23:08:40 -0000, Paul Ayck went and written:

> I live in Stockport. Didn't realise any of the roads were now tarmac! There are holes both you and
> your bike could disappear down if you ride round the Heatons area.

LOL.

Hi Paul. Make sure you say hello when you see me trying to move my good old red Stormer with 2.1
nobblies up the A6

--
Madasu