Not lazy, just bored!

fiscem4

Sep 15, 2004
Hi. Its definately winter here in New York and between the absurd amount of salt and gravel on the roads, the insane/angry drivers, and the obscene cold, riding outside has become virtually impossible.

To that end, I borrowed a mag trainer from a buddy of mine and I've been trying to use it. My problem is that the trainer is so mind-numbingly boring that I have lost almost all motivation to do it. I can't get myself to stay on it for more than an hour at a time, which is a problem.

I've tried music, watching TV, spinervals, watching the tour dvds, and absoultely nothing makes me want to sit there turning my legs in a manner that feels nothing like riding outdoors.

I raced last year at 150 and my weight has gone up to 165 now that I have cut back from daily 5 hour rides, to daily 1 hour rides. I'm lifting to try to conserve some musculature, but I really need to be on the bike. Any suggestions? help...please

fiscem4 said:
Hi. Its definately winter here in New York and between the absurd amount of salt and gravel on the roads, the insane/angry drivers, and the obscene cold, riding outside has become virtually impossible.

To that end, I borrowed a mag trainer from a buddy of mine and I've been trying to use it. My problem is that the trainer is so mind-numbingly boring that I have lost almost all motivation to do it. I can't get myself to stay on it for more than an hour at a time, which is a problem.

I've tried music, watching TV, spinervals, watching the tour dvds, and absoultely nothing makes me want to sit there turning my legs in a manner that feels nothing like riding outdoors.

I raced last year at 150 and my weight has gone up to 165 now that I have cut back from daily 5 hour rides, to daily 1 hour rides. I'm lifting to try to conserve some musculature, but I really need to be on the bike. Any suggestions? help...please
I know that mag trainers don't feel like road riding. You might want to try a good fluid trainer. Or you could buck up and get a CompuTrainer - I hear they are great. But the tough love is that you just have to suck it up and do it.

The key to training inside is having a goal(s) or a specific workout(s) that you want to accomplish. That is why is use the Spinervals, CTS, and CFR videos to train with. I can't mindlessly pedal to music.

To get more volume in, you might also want to try doing two (or more) training sessions a day. Or you could do a cross-training session followed immediately by a bike session (or the other way around).

If riding loses its appeal, you aren't likely to make meaningful gains on the bike so much as you would if riding were fun. Your best bet is to stop trying to force yourself to ride, and simply don't touch the bike until you get the desire to ride again. Certainly training indoors isn't always fun or enjoyable, but if you start to dread training you might as well just hang up the bike for good. Whatever fitness you lose by taking a break from the bike will be small compared to potentially ruining the sport for yourself.

These days my way of handing these insane, angry drivers is to hit back at them. I've no intention of being run off the road and will continue to use the roads as matter of principle, and necessity.
At the moment it's cold, dark and very windy and I'm due out to ride any minute. Looking forward to the experience? Nope! Enthusiastic? Not in this weather I ain't!
Let's face it, when the sun's shining and the weather nice, it's no problem to ride but you'd have to be a masochist to actually enjoy riding in present conditions. I think basically the only way to go is force yourself out there and become self-disciplined. Even if you just sprint uphill for an hour, that's better than watching TV. I probably won't enjoy this ride but I think I can get the job done regardless and, no doubt, I'll arrive back home soaked in sweat but feeling good.

fiscem4 said:

andrewrech said:
If riding loses its appeal, you aren't likely to make meaningful gains on the bike so much as you would if riding were fun. Your best bet is to stop trying to force yourself to ride, and simply don't touch the bike until you get the desire to ride again. Certainly training indoors isn't always fun or enjoyable, but if you start to dread training you might as well just hang up the bike for good. Whatever fitness you lose by taking a break from the bike will be small compared to potentially ruining the sport for yourself.

Totally agree. Why not forget the bike for a while and, if you want to maintain any fitness, just try some other sport that you enjoy instead? Not saying it'll be a full-on substitute for cycling but at least you might then feel more motivated to eventually get back on the bike again once the inclement weather has passed.