Dec 16, 2015
MatValley
Need lights almost anytime you go riding here,
Sun came over the mnts at 11:30 at the house today & is going down at 3:30
Today's Sunset pic
DSCF6264.JPG

But we Gain 2 seconds tomorrow :)

2015 soltice.jpg

You're from Alaska? You guys have a lot less daylight than the rest of the world, right? Days here are shorter too, but not that short. Wait, does that mean days will officially start getting longer now?

Yesterday it was the shortest day of the year, so today the days will start to increase. In January we will already notice almost one hour of difference.

Here in the UK the sun is setting mid afternoon and not rising till mid morning so we aren't getting much of a window to ride.

Going to work in the dark and then coming home in the dark with no chance of cycling on a weekday...how depressing!

Wow, that's extreme. Here in winter the sun rises at around 8-8:30am tops and sunset is around 6:30-7pm. I do my commute ride in the dark then, but now it's summer and by the time I leave the house for work (7am) there's plenty of daylight.

I live in a tropical country near the equator so I cannot relate to that short span of daylight. But from what I had read and by watching National Geographic sometimes, the northern countries have less daylight during the winter time particularly if you live near the north pole. But I'm not much concerned with the daylight, what I'm concerned with (if I would be there) is the cold temperature, brrrr.

It's the same where I live currently, the sun doesn't come out til around 8:30 am and it starts getting dark before 5.

It's Winter Solstice though, the sunshine is coming back! :D

Warm here also ,too warm. In December 1984 it was raining and 70 F on Christmas day. On January 21st 1985 in was -28 F, a record low.

We got 1/4" of snow last night
Just in time for a " White Christmas" :)
10°, calm, 10:15 just getting some daylight, the white ground really helps brighten it up :( +14 sec today )
Back yard this morning:
DSCF6273.JPG

Full load of wood tonight, To be -2°f :(

Reactions: Corzhens
Global warming man... Can't believe this is the amount of snow in Alaska for Christmas. Here in Germany it's 10 degrees Celsius which my Google Fu makes it out to 50 Fahrenheit. Really warm, I actually rode my bike today. It was really nice.

I'm not sure if I'm more aware of it but it's noticable that the days are already starting to get longer here in the UK. Just yesterday it looked like the sun was setting past 4 in the afternoon while a ew days before Christmas Day it was still getting dark past 2 in the afternoon.

It's kind of a shame because I like the short days, they are sort of cosy. :)

Got a ride in. was 49° when I left, 44° when I got back, into 20 mph wind the 1st 12 miles, tail wind coming back
Moose eating something 1/4 mile from home
DSCF6349.JPG

Laid his ears back & I got out of there
DSCF6350.JPG

Pioneer Peak & Twin Peaks
DSCF6355.JPG

Sun never came out, got dark at 4:30
riding with a blinking red tail light

I am in the UK and at this time of year I struggle to fit in a morning cycle like I enjoy doing in the summer months. I would most likely be okay riding where I live, because we have street lamps, but I have read the accident statistics and I just know how much more likely it is that I would suffer from something happening to me, so I much prefer to keep my cycling to daytime hours only if there is any chance that I can do so.