NOT Milk Chocolate

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by su-texas, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. su-texas

    su-texas Guest

    Recently, I read that milk (calcium?) blocks the beneficial effects of chocolate (polyphenols?).

    ???

    Susan, Su_Texas my opinions

    Tags:

  2. Rich Andrews

    Rich Andrews Guest

    [email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]
    3192.bay.webtv.net:

    > Recently, I read that milk (calcium?) blocks the beneficial effects of chocolate (polyphenols?).
    >
    > ???
    >
    > Susan, Su_Texas my opinions

    Where did you read that?!?

  3. Rich Andrews

    Rich Andrews Guest

    [email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Recently, I read that milk (calcium?) blocks the beneficial effects of chocolate (polyphenols?).
    >
    > ???
    >
    > Susan, Su_Texas my opinions

    FWIW, I found this article.

    http://www.ivillage.com/food/celebrate/vday/articles/0,,240591_49102,00.html?arrivalSA=1&cobrandRef-
    =0&arrival_freqCap=2

    "...What is still not known is whether the polyphenols in chocolate can be absorbed by the body.
    Those studies are still preliminary and ongoing...."

  4. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Recently, I read that milk (calcium?) blocks the beneficial effects of chocolate (polyphenols?).
    >
    > ???
    >
    > Susan, Su_Texas my opinions

    Actually, it's the other way around. Chocolate contains a substance, phytic acid, that somewhat
    inhibits the absorption of calcium. So, chocolate milk is less nutritious than plain, especially for
    children, who need high calcium intake for the development of bones and teeth.

    --Rich