NOT Milk Chocolate

su-texas

Guest
Recently, I read that milk (calcium?) blocks the beneficial effects of chocolate (polyphenols?).

???

Susan, Su_Texas my opinions

[email protected] wrote in news:19214-4026D0C1-63@storefull-
3192.bay.webtv.net:

> Recently, I read that milk (calcium?) blocks the beneficial effects of chocolate (polyphenols?).
>
> ???
>
> Susan, Su_Texas my opinions

Where did you read that?!?

[email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Recently, I read that milk (calcium?) blocks the beneficial effects of chocolate (polyphenols?).
>
> ???
>
> Susan, Su_Texas my opinions

FWIW, I found this article.

http://www.ivillage.com/food/celebrate/vday/articles/0,,240591_49102,00.html?arrivalSA=1&cobrandRef-
=0&arrival_freqCap=2

"...What is still not known is whether the polyphenols in chocolate can be absorbed by the body.
Those studies are still preliminary and ongoing...."

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Recently, I read that milk (calcium?) blocks the beneficial effects of chocolate (polyphenols?).
>
> ???
>
> Susan, Su_Texas my opinions

Actually, it's the other way around. Chocolate contains a substance, phytic acid, that somewhat
inhibits the absorption of calcium. So, chocolate milk is less nutritious than plain, especially for
children, who need high calcium intake for the development of bones and teeth.

--Rich