Not much of an epitaph.

Simon Mason

Guest
If I get killed cycling it will be under the wheels of an HGV on our docks road like this poor sod
yesterday. The poor bloke didn't even get his own column in our local rag, he barely got a quarter,
playing second fiddle to another incident on the same road where a trailer unit clouted a flyover
holding up commuters. I'll look out for the flowers when I venture down there tomorrow.

--
Title Cyclist dies in crash with lorry. File size 50 kb 56k download time 13 sec.
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zcrash.htm

Same sort of story at this end of the country I'm afraid. I've been getting visits and calls all day
from people who have heard about a 38 year old man who was killed on a recumbent trike in Aberdeen
last night. This being because I am a 38 year old male who until recently owned a recumbent trike
and rides along the road where the accident happened at about the same time. Talk about there but
for the grace. Sadly the report on the paper was also brief and tended to dwell too much (for my
liking) on disruption to drivers (even though the police spokesman was quoted as saying there wasn't
any). They also felt the need to point out that it was a "low three-wheeled cycle".

http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=84092&command=displayContent&sourceNode-
=83929&contentPK=5298405

Sad news indeed.

Andy

[email protected] wrote:

>Same sort of story at this end of the country I'm afraid. I've been getting visits and calls all
>day from people who have heard about a 38 year old man who was killed on a recumbent trike in
>Aberdeen last night. This being because I am a 38 year old male who until recently owned a
>recumbent trike and rides along the road where the accident happened at about the same time.
>Talk about there but for the grace. Sadly the report on the paper was also brief and tended to
>dwell too much (for my liking) on disruption to drivers (even though the police spokesman was
>quoted as saying there wasn't any). They also felt the need to point out that it was a "low
>three-wheeled cycle".
>
>http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=84092&command=displayContent&sourceNod-
>e=83929&contentPK=5298405
>
>Sad news indeed.

But at least the traffic continued to move freely!!!

Mark Drever should be shot for that report.
--
remove remove to reply

[email protected] wrote:
> But at least the traffic continued to move freely!!!

No it didn't, it moved free-ly.

> Mark Drever should be shot for that report.

So should whoever is responsible for whatever software is responsible for the growing plague of
hyp-hens in the mid-d-les of li-nes. I have been blaming Bill Gates, ever since this plague started
to infect the Oxford Magazine, and whilst I don't suppose I need any further justification for that
it would be fun to know what it is that reformats text into which it has put hyp-hens without being
able to take them out aga-in.

It's all right, or indeed alright, I'll go for a brief lie, or indeed lay, down now.

Unfortunately it seems to be a common problem in all our cities, you are only newsworthy if traffic
is disrupted.

It amazes me every day how a large amount of car drivers seem to under the impression that they
"own" the roads. I regularly have to field a variety of questions from puzzled people when they
discover that I cannot drive (through choice) and have no desire or need to. They don't believe that
I have ridden my bike every day for the last 16 years (well over half my life) and have never
seriously considered driving.

If anything ever happens to me I hope I generate a few more column inches ! Does the press really
tell the "news" or merely opinion ?

Regards,

Andrew

news:[email protected]... If I get killed cycling it will be under the wheels of an

Geraint Jones wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> But at least the traffic continued to move freely!!!
>
>No it didn't, it moved free-ly.

No it didn't, it moved free- ly.
--
remove remove to reply

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:44:21 +0100, Gonzalez wrote:

> Geraint Jones wrote:
>
>>[email protected] wrote:
>>> But at least the traffic continued to move freely!!!
>>
>>No it didn't, it moved free-ly.
>
> No it didn't, it moved free- ly.

Whichever, I think this is missing the point.

Kit

"Andrew B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Unfortunately it seems to be a common problem in all our cities, you are only newsworthy if
> traffic is disrupted.
>
> It amazes me every day how a large amount of car drivers seem to under the impression that they
> "own" the roads. I regularly have to field a variety of questions from puzzled people when they
> discover that I cannot drive (through choice) and have no desire or need to. They don't believe
> that I have ridden my bike every day for the last 16 years (well over half my
life)
> and have never seriously considered driving.

I had to prove to people I met that I hadn't been caught drink driving, and that I wanted to give up
my car. :)

news:<[email protected]>...
> If I get killed cycling it will be under the wheels of an HGV on our docks road like this poor sod
> yesterday. The poor bloke didn't even get his own column in our local rag, he barely got a
> quarter, playing second fiddle to another incident on the same road where a trailer unit clouted a
> flyover holding up commuters. I'll look out for the flowers when I venture down there tomorrow.

It's good old-fashioned utilitarianism; greatest happiness to the greatest number; that which
creates teh greatest obstacle to the greatest happiness to the greatest number should be the focus
of the news.

Jemmy Bentham and Johnny Mill meant well--they just tend to be a bit tyrranical when it comes to
individuals....

-Luigi ...who really preferred Bentham's "On the virtues of the auto-icon" essay a lot more...

Andrew B <[email protected]> wrote:

> Does the press really tell the "news" or merely opinion ?

Neither, they are just the decorative designers for fish and chip wrappers ;-)

Tony

i think its a nice touch that the mention that the hgv driver was unhurt, well no **** sherlock!

panda

(hedon road was such a shock when i got off the ferry after a weeks cycling in holland)

> If I get killed cycling it will be under the wheels of an HGV on our docks road like this poor sod
> yesterday. The poor bloke didn't even get his own column in our local rag, he barely got a
> quarter, playing second fiddle to another incident on the same road where a trailer unit clouted a
> flyover holding up commuters. I'll look out for the flowers when I venture down there tomorrow.
>
> --
> Title Cyclist dies in crash with lorry. File size 50 kb 56k download time 13 sec.
> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zcrash.htm
>

> --
> Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

In case there is anybody on here who knew him, who has not yet heard - the Scottish recumbent rider
metioned above, who was killed this week was Steve Donaldson - British Human Power Club secretary
and all-round damn good bloke.

He will be greatly missed. See http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

John J

On 26-Apr-2003, [email protected] (John J) wrote:

> n case there is anybody on here who knew him, who has not yet heard - the Scottish recumbent rider
> metioned above, who was killed this week was Steve Donaldson - British Human Power Club secretary
> and all-round damn good bloke.
>
> He will be greatly missed.

Indeed he will. I must admit that I didn't know who the rider was when I posted about this and of
course it would have been very sad whoever it was. But I was particularly saddened to hear that it
was Steve, although I only actually met him once. He flagged me down one day when I was riding my
StreetMachine through Aberdeen and we had a long chat about this and that. Since then we've kept in
touch by email and I was looking forward to meeting up with him on some CTC rides this summer.

A sad day indeed.

Andy

On 26 Apr 2003 12:32:38 -0700, [email protected] (John J) wrote:

>the Scottish recumbent rider metioned above, who was killed this week was Steve Donaldson

Thanks for that, a great shame. Do we know any more about the crash yet?

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.