Not ready to clip-in, so what pedals and shoes should I use until I'm ready?

kaian

Aug 22, 2004
I am use to clipless pedals because I do a lot of road riding, however, I don't feel that I am ready to go clipless for trail riding. I seem to fall a lot and having my feet free is a very attractive thing right now so that I don't plant my face on a log. I am currently using basic metal platform pedals and tennis shoes. The tennis shoes are too flexible and are causing my feet to hurt, so I was wondering about a good alternative. Would downhill pedals be a good choice for now? What should I do about shoes? Thanks!

Thanks. I don't like toe-clips - I used them years ago. The power grips might be worth a try - I'll give it some thought. :confused:

These are strapless, not like the track ones at all. I have set many girls up with these, stops the foot slipping off the pedal when wet.

Power grips are good for running shoes, we use them in tri events and training.

Get the clipless pedals that have a platform around them. That way you can be clipped in when you are confident and just riding along, and then unclip and ride 'normally' when the trail gets uneasy and you feel you may have to put the foot down.

SPDs are NOT the way to intro into clipless, SPDs SUCK and you will end up disliking them. Go for crank brother Mallets, nice large platform with a reliable and easy out eggbeater clip.

I think it's best to buy SPD with a normal pedal on one side. so you can be locked in while cycling uphill or easy downhill - so you can jump little jumps. and when you get used to it you can be locked in more&more. The ones with a cage are fine if you're used to SPD, but if not a big no no. I tried them out and down a singletrek my foot moved on the pedal and it locked in, I didn't notice and it got interesting...so I stick to the one with different sides - normal pedal for harder downhill & for when I don't wear cycling shoes, SPD for uphill, road...But you will fall sideways, standing still like in comedies (I have twice:rolleyes:), just don't try to catch yourself on your arm - ausch! just fall on your side.

of course everyone will have an opinion...but I like the SPD's I ride them both clipped and unclipped depending on my mood... my shimano shoes have a nice little groove all the way down the middle so my foot doesn't slip off laterally. I've used the ones with the cage and thought that they made unclipping harder and didn't impove riding loose.

Don't fear the clipless* if you take care of them they work, I've never crashed hard because i couldnt get out of them...

*when do we get to start calling pedals that don't click or clip your foot in clipless...

If you are not ready for clips try something like a DMR V12 pedal which is primarily designed for freeride where you dont want to be clipped in. nice big platform and lots of grip.

crank bros mallets
dont put the plates on the bottom of your shoes until your
ready for the clips.

in techincal sections that I want to ride through but not clipped in.
I unclip and adjust my foot position enought to avoid the clips

I kept the plastic inserts that came with my pedals and when Im ready to go clipless, ill take them out...this plan worked up until now...the plastic inserts are wearing out and squeak when your foot moves...plus, there isnt much grip on them anymore...oh well

I went straingt into mountain bikeing clipless from the road clipless, it seems different but it feels natural again after just a few minutes! If you are worried about not unclipping for a crash . you will crash off-road, tthen use SPD, they come out easy, too easy for me to use on the road! I use Time on the road but since i nbeed new pedals & shoes for off-road anyway I went SPD for that, knowing how much weaker their hold is. I've crashed a few times off-road now and I honestly can't tell if it's me unclipping or the pedals giving way in a crash, i always fly clear, never stuck to the pedal. I'm a fear of power grips, can see me tangel

Why is everybody recommending various clipless shoes for somebody that doesn't want to go clipless? Clipless with platforms are good, but downhill/freeride pedals are much better for riding platform and are safer as well. For shoes I would look at skateboard/ downhill/ bmx style shoes. Something with a grippy rubber sole.

haven't read all the blurb above but here's the way i went from standard pedals to clipping in.
Shimano PD-M324 pedals
PD-M324-large_v1_m56577569830550915.jpg

one side is a standard flat pedal, the other is cleated.
full blurb: http://www.shimano.com.au/catalog/c...<>ast_id=1408474395181400&bmUID=1150780285954
i used them for both MTB and road use. but i'm now at the stage where i feel far more comfortable clipped in than out.
i'm also about to upgrade both bikes, so will have 2 second hand pairs available - pm me if you're interested.

just my two cents...

Maybe I'm too bold, having just started taking my bike off road, but I'm looking to get clipless already (no previous road bike experience with clipless).

My problem is I still "tip-toe" past rocks or logs. Can you unclip easy enough to do that or just suck it up and keep your feet on the pedals?

Thanks in advance! TC

P.S.--MTB'ers are great--everyone is eager to help us newbies.

agree with the last statement!

when i bought my mtb, i got those pedals you can see above as i was recommended to just go clipless from the start.
well worth it as i now feel far more 'solid' on the bike when clipped in.
doesn't take long to get used to them, and i do still have the odd nervous moment.
i find that being clipped in helps in getting the rear wheel over some obstacles too
i tended to bail from the clips a little sooner, but am now leaving it later and later as my confidence grows.
i now run eggbeaters with no major concerns.
hope that helps...

By far the best solution in my opinion is to use SPDs with the multi-direction release cleats. These will release easily using the normal motion, but will also release in any direction if you pull hard enough (i.e., in a panic moment)... This will provide many of the benefits of clipless pedals, but will allow you to get your feet out easily in an emergency. When this process becomes natural, you can always transition back to the standard cleats.

I put off clipless pedals for a while. I bought my bike in May and ripped off a pair of the toe clips on a rough trail. Then, my pedals were all bent up and needed replacing so I went with an inexpensive replacement pedal. I couldn't get any grip with them. So, I finally went clipless with shimano 520's. I've not ridden a lot on them but have played around in the yard practicing clipping in and out. I finally got a short 2-3 mile ride in this afternoon. I liked the pedals a lot. There is a noticeable difference. I'm sure I'll have my "incidences" with them eventually but for now I'm glad I made the switch. Good luck with whatever you choose. Greg