not recovering from harder efforts

bikerjoe

Oct 24, 2002
I know its still way early in the season and there is still another month or so till the racing begins, but been having problems recoving from hard efforts when out training.

Ive had a fairly good winter.Rode a fixed for 4 months and managed to get in steady 4-5 hours rides on sat with 1-2 hrs on sunday and out tue/thu (90 mins-2hrs) if not,then an hour on the ergo.The weekend group rides have been gradually been increasing the speed same with the midweek rides.

I see to have the strength there but just don't seem to be able to sustain it, and when going deep after some climbs its taking a bit longer to recover and im searching for a wheel to cling to for recovery.

Its probally cause i seem to be going a lot better this time last year.probally too eager and should just wait for the season to progress?Thinking about swapping my Thursday to some threshold work or some 3- 5min intervals?

cheers

Originally posted by bikerjoe
I know its still way early in the season and there is still another month or so till the racing begins, but been having problems recoving from hard efforts when out training.

Ive had a fairly good winter.Rode a fixed for 4 months and managed to get in steady 4-5 hours rides on sat with 1-2 hrs on sunday and out tue/thu (90 mins-2hrs) if not,then an hour on the ergo.The weekend group rides have been gradually been increasing the speed same with the midweek rides.

I see to have the strength there but just don't seem to be able to sustain it, and when going deep after some climbs its taking a bit longer to recover and im searching for a wheel to cling to for recovery.

Its probally cause i seem to be going a lot better this time last year.probally too eager and should just wait for the season to progress?Thinking about swapping my Thursday to some threshold work or some 3- 5min intervals?

cheers
Sounds like you rode the whole winter at a similar and fairly constant speed, this is no doubt why you are finding intense efforts demanding.

You don't say wagt your thursday session is but if you're struggling at it then doing more is likely to cause you to improve; why change to an easier session? Work on your weaknesses.

Finaly, all of the question's you've asked will be determined by your goal which I guess you either don't have or don't work towards. Start asking yourself 'why am I doing this session' and 'how can I improve this session'. Start by looking back at the last 4 months, why ride a fixed all the time and how could you have progressed more? You would benefit from a coach.

You spent the whole winter detraining and you're surprised you can't ride fast anymore?

Generally speaking, people are taking this periodization thing a bit too far. Tapering is one thing but this is accomplishing nothing but filling the lower cats with chumps.