Not so subtle travel hint...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Roger Buchanan, Jul 30, 2004.

  1. So I get this knock at the door...

    It's the mailman, with a package for Linda and I.

    The return address shows it coming from a friend of the family, who is
    often up in our neck of the woods visiting her daughter and son-in-law.

    I open it up to find TWO books. Both are put out by Pebble Publishing.

    One is "Cycling St. Louis" by Margo "Dirt Gypsy" Carroll. The other one
    is "The Complete KATY TRAIL Guidebook" by Brett Dufur. Well I bet you
    can just guess where this woman comes from...

    Talk about subtle, eh? <grin>

    That said there looks to be some interesting stuff in each of those
    books!

    --
    - Rog

    http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html

    NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM"
    from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be returned.

    Tags:

  2. mfgp

    mfgp Guest

    "Roger Buchanan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > So I get this knock at the door...
    >
    > It's the mailman, with a package for Linda and I.
    >
    > The return address shows it coming from a friend of the family, who is
    > often up in our neck of the woods visiting her daughter and son-in-law.
    >
    > I open it up to find TWO books. Both are put out by Pebble Publishing.
    >
    > One is "Cycling St. Louis" by Margo "Dirt Gypsy" Carroll. The other one
    > is "The Complete KATY TRAIL Guidebook" by Brett Dufur. Well I bet you
    > can just guess where this woman comes from...
    >
    > Talk about subtle, eh? <grin>
    >
    > That said there looks to be some interesting stuff in each of those
    > books!
    >
    > --
    > - Rog
    >
    > http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html
    >
    > NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM"
    > from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be returned.

    There's some good riding in MO. Definitely don't pass up the opportunity if
    you have the chance to get away.

    Recommendations:

    Chubb Trail (St. Louis)
    Castlewood Park (St. Louis)
    Berrymen (Potosi area)
    St. Joe State Park (Farmington area...have to look hard for the sometimes
    hidden single track as the main bike trail is paved, but it's worth it when
    you find them)

  3. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    mfgp wrote:
    > "Roger Buchanan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>So I get this knock at the door...
    >>
    >>It's the mailman, with a package for Linda and I.
    >>
    >>The return address shows it coming from a friend of the family, who is
    >>often up in our neck of the woods visiting her daughter and son-in-law.
    >>
    >>I open it up to find TWO books. Both are put out by Pebble Publishing.
    >>
    >>One is "Cycling St. Louis" by Margo "Dirt Gypsy" Carroll. The other one
    >>is "The Complete KATY TRAIL Guidebook" by Brett Dufur. Well I bet you
    >>can just guess where this woman comes from...
    >>
    >>Talk about subtle, eh? <grin>
    >>
    >>That said there looks to be some interesting stuff in each of those
    >>books!
    >>
    >>--
    >>- Rog
    >>
    >>http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html
    >>
    >>NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM"
    >>from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be returned.

    > There's some good riding in MO. Definitely don't pass up the opportunity if
    > you have the chance to get away.
    >
    > Recommendations:
    >
    > Chubb Trail (St. Louis)
    > Castlewood Park (St. Louis)
    > Berrymen (Potosi area)
    > St. Joe State Park (Farmington area...have to look hard for the sometimes
    > hidden single track as the main bike trail is paved, but it's worth it when
    > you find them)

    There's also Lost Valley and Matson.

    My personal favorite are the trails at Castlewood, with Lost Valley
    second. Caastlewood has a lot of variety, and there's also a new
    section of gravel trail added that allows will take you all the way out
    to Glencoe and back without any road riding. The new single track added
    at Lost Valley is just beautiful, too - lots of switchbacks winding
    along the sides of the hills and down through the valleys. It was
    clearly built by people who knew what they were doing.

    The Chubb is too tough for me to enjoy, although it's my husband's
    favorite... Those rocky "stairs" kick my butt every time.

    I've only ever ridden ATVs out at St. Joe's so I can't comment on the
    singletrack.

    The Berryman trail is great, but between the drive to get there and the
    20 mile loop length it's a full day venture.

    The Katy Trail is rails-to-trails. Not technically challenging at all -
    if you want to make it hard on yourself you've just got to pile on the
    miles. The scenery is gorgeous, though, and there are the wineries and
    little towns scattered all along the length of it. Word to the wise:
    On pleasant weekend afternoons watch out for drunken cyclists.

    Kathleen

  4. Hmmmmm.... Per MapQuest:
    Total Est. Time: 4 hours, 18 minutes
    Total Est. Distance: 284.65 miles

    ROADTRIP!!!!!!

  5. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
    > Hmmmmm.... Per MapQuest:
    > Total Est. Time: 4 hours, 18 minutes
    > Total Est. Distance: 284.65 miles
    >

    > ROADTRIP!!!!!!

    I come up with 4 hours, 39 minutes. Our flyball club is sending a
    couple of teams to compete up in your neighborhood in October at the
    Agricenter. I'm bringing Bad Company, our club's "A" team, including
    the immortal Scully, and the indomitable Zane.

    Unfortunately, bringing the bike is out of the question.

    <sigh>

    Kathleen

  6. J G

    J G Guest

    "Kathleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
    > > Hmmmmm.... Per MapQuest:
    > > Total Est. Time: 4 hours, 18 minutes
    > > Total Est. Distance: 284.65 miles
    > >

    > > ROADTRIP!!!!!!

    > I come up with 4 hours, 39 minutes. Our flyball club is sending a
    > couple of teams to compete up in your neighborhood in October at the
    > Agricenter. I'm bringing Bad Company, our club's "A" team, including
    > the immortal Scully, and the indomitable Zane.

    If Parker gets here on time I was going to bring him to visit with his
    previous owners and his son/former team.
    regardless I'll be ther to visit with his former owners, maybe Well see you.

    > Unfortunately, bringing the bike is out of the question.

    But.... but.. but.. you are going to be on the ground of Shelby Farms and on
    teh side of Walnut Grove whera aqll the prime singletrack is AND right
    across the street from the Tour de Wolfe. And you are like <3 miles from
    Stanky Creek (1/4 mile from my house ;-) which has some of the best 7 miles
    of singletrack in the mid-south IMO.

    If you want, you can ride Karen's bike, and hubby can ride mine, if he's up
    for a ride on a rigid SS, or if it's built up yet the hard-tail 29ér SS.
    "Seriously"!