Not Strictly Weight Training….

Baston

Jul 24, 2006
…. Rather, Weight Training mixed with cycling. Currently, I enjoy cycling on a recreational basis. I previously had held hopes to perhaps compete in the future and/or do some long distance rides, however time has changed my mind and I am now focused on riding for my own happiness.

The question is what is the best way to incorporate weight training into my gym or exercise routine without the results being restricted by recreational rides a few times a week or the occasional spinning class?

Oh and I was thinking about doing gym three times a week, so I could split the week up into arms/shoulders, legs/core and back and chest. By not working the same muscle group more than once a week what will I achieve?

I am not too bothered about the dynamics of the muscle to speed ratio, I just want to improve my physique whilst continuing my hobby.

Thanks

Not sure if it helps, but what you described is what I am doing.
I am an avid weightlifter - that is my joy, but cycling has also become my joy as well. I am grateful to be recreational now since I had 11 years of my life dedicated to competitive training in power lifting and bodybuilding. This allows me to train as I want not by the specificity that each sport requires.

For about 4 months now I have incorporated using the spin bike using short duration interval training prior to training with weights Monday through Friday mornings. I typically do a club ride on Saturday (50 to 70 miles) and then a shorter ride (20 to 30 miles) on Sunday if time allows.

I see no problem juggling the two based on your goal.

I looking for fellow cross trainers. I put up this thread but no one replyed.

I've weight trained for 6 years and have been thinking about power lifting. I have a shoulder injury and perhaps a formal power lifting routine would get me back into focus. Here's the power lifting thread

And if you were wondering, I've done 2 bike races this year. Heres the Second bike race thread. Go to page 2 to see the pictures.

Baston said:
…. Rather, Weight Training mixed with cycling. Currently, I enjoy cycling on a recreational basis. I previously had held hopes to perhaps compete in the future and/or do some long distance rides, however time has changed my mind and I am now focused on riding for my own happiness.

Ditto this is describes my goals,
These days I try split my efforts equally between cycling, rowing-machine and weights.. I just weighttrain the upperbody and have never round to sticking to a regular legs day, though I everything I've read suggests you should so I'd long wanted to..

I kind of figured upper body weights balances out the time spent on the bike which is lowerbody only.. after all one can get the burning sensation & DOMS in the legs from the anaerobic work on the bike.

Typically I'd be commuting getting 2x35mins on the bike (with an HRM) and going to the gym 3-4x/week at lunch or in the evening prior to cycling home, but it varies, e.g. over the summer i'd enjoy clocking up more time on the bike extending the rides (up to 11hrs/week at my peak of bike-obsession), or in the winter I might miss commutes and make up cardio time indoors.