Not using a bell

Originally Posted by Froze .

That's weird. I treat the bike path as I would driving a car in the street, I pass on the left and the pedestrians and other cyclists need to go to the right. What's really great is when you yell on your left they move to the right then look back and move to the left after seeing that you were on the left! Or they move left so you try to pass on the right which I hate doing, then they suddenly move back to the right! Or they split, half of the crowd goes right and the other left, then some from one half decide they want to go to the other half and vice a versa! That's why if I can sneak pass them without them knowing I'm there it's sometimes safer.
I HATE when people don't pick a side. I had a guy see me coming and he left his dog loafing around on the path. It is a danger to the dog and myself. I never trust dogs on the path. A good half know what to do and the others do a "deer in the headlights" /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

STAY ALERT, turn off your iPOD??????

Oh now that's a whole topic all by itself! And whereas I had been completely against ipod listening while cycling... I am not sure anymore. Last time I was on the bike path I appeared to be the only one NOT wearing an ipod.

But the use of ipod type devices does make a bicycle bell nearly a moot (or in this case would that be a "mute") point. Maybe the days of polite little bells... are behind us. Do people actually hear the little incredibell type bells?

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter . Do people actually hear the little incredibell type bells?
Not when wearing headphones. This accounts for a lot of people I see running on trails. Most of the walkers are socializing and can hear it. I pretty much know if someone is jogging there is no point in ringing the bell. Maybe yelling out loudly will be heard but I assume they don't know I'm passing.

It's interesting that in Florida, it is illegal to wearing headphones when bicycling, but there is no such law outlawing walkers, joggers or runners from wearing headphones. The Florida Department of Transportation says this about riding and headphones:

Wearing of headsets
(Section 316.304(1), F.S.)
arrow.gif
No person shall operate a bicycle while wearing a headset, headphone or other listening device, other than a hearing aid or instrument for the improvement of defective human hearing.

Comment: Use of such devices can be distracting. However, a cyclist should not rely on hearing when changing lane position, crossing intersections, etc. Sounds of an approaching vehicle may be masked by other traffic or, in some cases (bicycle, hybrid-electric car) too soft to be heard.

Christopher G. Burns, Esq.
Jacksonville, Fl

email: [email protected]

Bells or horns are mandated here in NY state for all bikes everywhere. Horns seem to work better but headphones can block out even a diesel locomotive's approach. Two quick toots on the horn is usually considered a friendly greeting. A "Passing on your left", seems to work in most cases.

Does anyone know for certain whether or not you need a licence or a day-pass to cycle along the canal towpaths, if so where does one purchase such licence,thanks

If you REALLY wanna freak 'em out - and possibly cause the odd heart attack or attack on your person - use one of those 'ooga' horns. Sometimes even cuts through ipods, ipads, ishits and icraps. Sometimes I use a bell. Sometimes I say 'on your left'. Sometimes I rocket past them. Sometimes I'm behind them in a virtual trackstand for several minutes, doing whatever I can think of to get their attention. People are dipshits. The good thing about dogs is that they ALWAYS notice there's a bike behind them. Dogs are not dipshits.