Not wearing a helmet saved my life last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skunk

Apr 29, 2003
Last night NOT wearing a cycle helmet actually saved mt life. At about half past six, I realised that I had run out of tobacco. The shop isn't far away but I couldn't be bothered walking so I decided to nip down on the bike. I had been mowing the lawn so with it being a hot day, i had shorts on with no pockets. I locked the house up and wrapped the keys in one of the helmet straps and held a couple of quid in my left hand. We live on a really sharp bend on a busy road so I edged out and got to the shop in about five minutes. I bought my tobacco and cycled home. As soon as I got home I realised I had left my helmet, complete with housekeys back at the shop. I cycled back to the shop but it had closed. I tootled round to my brother-in-laws who has a sapre set and after being persuaded to have a couple of pints I made it back home. I couldn't believe what I saw. A great bloody articulated waggon had jackknifed into my living room window, I said we lived on a sharp bend. Anyway, a neighbour later told me it had happened at quarter to eight, so given that I rarely miss Coronation Street, I would have been sat in my living room and now surely dead. So not wearing a cycle helmet really saved my life. unless that is the lorry went into the window during the adverts and I was in the kitchen brewing, as then it wouldn't have made a jot of difference whether I'd been wearing a helmet or not, as I wouldn't have been hit.

Not only that, smoking and drinking also saved your life.

We can therefore conclude that you will lead a longer and healthier life as a cyclist if you smoke, drink and don't wear a helmet.

I'll drink to that.

Owever you may have been contributarily negligent. Did you have a day-glo yellow jacket and BS compliant lights fixed to your house?

" Did you have a day-glo yellow jacket .... fixed to your house?

No, but there is some ivy growing at the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.