Noted at San Francisco Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Diablo Scott, Sep 17, 2004.

  1. Diablo Scott

    Diablo Scott Guest

    The Campagnolo neutral support car had Klein Q-pros with (I think)
    compact carbon cranks and muted paint jobs. The bikes also had
    chunky-looking water bottle cages with "CHAIN REACTION BICYCLES" written
    in big bold letters (Nice coup Mike, do you sell those or were they
    one-offs?)

    Phil Liggett returned my wave with almost as much enthusiasm as I had
    given it; what a likeable chap. John Eustice seemed to know he was
    playing second fiddle, and that unknown guy in the middle knew that he
    was outclassed on both sides.

    I brought my 4y.o. daughter and her sidewalk chalk, and I wrote in the
    middle of Broadway "┬┐NO VUELTA? SHAME ON OLN!", clearly visible in some
    of the helicopter shots, watch for it when OLN covers the race next
    month - ha!

    I scored a water bottle tossed from the Peloton - "San Ramon Cycling
    Classic" all scuffed up and gross, but a better souvenier than any of
    the cheap schwag being given away at the Expo.

    I saw Nicole Cook just past her finish line victory and I called out
    "THREE-PEAT" and then she nodded and winked at me.

    The best photographs and video shots were on the gradual descent into
    the fog, heading straight for the TransAmerica building.

    The news stories made a big deal about how the crowds were smaller than
    in years past - didn't seem that way to me, seemed like the news wanted
    it to be true for some reason.

    Saw some impromput bike messenger races up side street cul de sacs off
    of Broadway that were even steeper than Filmore... very impressive.
    Also saw a Sierra Nevada guy off the back riding next to a MTBer who
    decided to get in the race for a couple blocks... everybody got a good
    laugh out of that including the racer (he grabbed the kid's T-shirt to
    pull him back).

    Only 51 more weeks til the next one!

    --
    My bike blog:
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

    Tags:

  2. Diablo Scott wrote:

    > I saw Nicole Cook just past her finish line victory and I called out
    > "THREE-PEAT" and then she nodded and winked at me.

    It's love.

    =-Luigi
    --
    www.livejournal.com/users/ouij