Noted passing

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Clovis Lark, Mar 24, 2004.

  1. Clovis Lark

    Clovis Lark Guest

    Since most of us now take these products for granted....

    March 23, 2004 Brian Maxwell, 51, Marathoner Who Created
    Energy Bar, Dies By REUTERS

    Brian Maxwell, a former world-ranked marathoner who created
    the PowerBar in his kitchen to improve his performance and
    started a sports nutrition revolution in the process, died
    on Friday. He was 51.

    Mr. Maxwell collapsed while waiting in line to mail a
    package at the San Anselmo post office in Marin County,
    Calif., friends said. He was pronounced dead at Marin
    General Hospital, a hospital spokeswoman said.

    Born in London, Mr. Maxwell grew up in Toronto. He graduated
    from the University of California at Berkeley in 1975 with a
    degree in architecture.

    For eight years he earned a living as a long-distance
    runner representing Canada in international competitions.
    In 1977 he was ranked the No. 3 marathoner in the world by
    Track & Field News. By 1980 he was the top-ranked Canadian
    marathon runner on the Olympic team that boycotted the
    Moscow Olympics.

    In 1983, after winning 14 marathons, Maxwell developed a
    stomach ailment that slowed his timing near the end of a
    race, causing him to finish seventh.

    He took to the kitchen in his Berkeley, Calif., apartment
    and began mixing various low-fat potions that would be
    easily digestible and provide quick energy.

    The bar was developed over three years with help from Bill
    Vaughn, a biochemist from the University of California at
    Berkeley, and Jennifer Biddulph, a food science student who
    would later become his wife.

    After offering homemade bars to several friends who claimed
    their performances improved, Mr. Maxwell decided to open a
    business. He put his life savings into the company and
    manufactured 35,000 bars in malt-nut and chocolate flavors.

    Over the next 13 years, PowerBar expanded into a multimillion-
    dollar company that created a market filled with competitors
    like Balance Bars and Clif Bars.

    In 2000 the company was sold to Nestlé S.A. for a reported
    $375 million, and Mr. Maxwell turned his energies to
    mentoring other entrepreneurs and to philanthropic
    activities.

    He is survived by his wife and six children.

    Tags:

  2. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    Sad news. I remember reading a story a few years back about
    his founding of Powerbar (Business Week?). Great success
    story. He sounded like a nice person with a nice family. RIP

    "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Since most of us now take these products for granted....
    >
    > March 23, 2004 Brian Maxwell, 51, Marathoner Who Created
    > Energy Bar, Dies By REUTERS
    >
    > Brian Maxwell, a former world-ranked marathoner who
    > created the PowerBar in his kitchen to improve his
    > performance and started a sports nutrition revolution in
    > the process, died on Friday. He was 51.
    >
    > Mr. Maxwell collapsed while waiting in line to mail a
    > package at the San Anselmo post office in Marin
    > County, Calif., friends said. He was pronounced dead
    > at Marin General Hospital, a hospital spokeswoman
    > said.
    >
    > Born in London, Mr. Maxwell grew up in Toronto. He
    > graduated from the University of California at Berkeley in
    > 1975 with a degree in architecture.
    >
    > For eight years he earned a living as a long-distance
    > runner representing Canada in international competitions.
    > In 1977 he was ranked the No. 3 marathoner in the world by
    > Track & Field News. By 1980 he was the top-ranked Canadian
    > marathon runner on the Olympic team that boycotted the
    > Moscow Olympics.
    >
    > In 1983, after winning 14 marathons, Maxwell developed a
    > stomach ailment that slowed his timing near the end of a
    > race, causing him to finish seventh.
    >
    > He took to the kitchen in his Berkeley, Calif., apartment
    > and began mixing various low-fat potions that would be
    > easily digestible and provide quick energy.
    >
    > The bar was developed over three years with help from Bill
    > Vaughn, a biochemist from the University of California at
    > Berkeley, and Jennifer Biddulph, a food science student
    > who would later become his wife.
    >
    > After offering homemade bars to several friends who
    > claimed their performances improved, Mr. Maxwell decided
    > to open a business. He put his life savings into the
    > company and manufactured 35,000 bars in malt-nut and
    > chocolate flavors.
    >
    > Over the next 13 years, PowerBar expanded into a multimillion-
    > dollar company that created a market filled with
    > competitors like Balance Bars and Clif Bars.
    >
    > In 2000 the company was sold to Nestlé S.A. for a reported
    > $375 million, and Mr. Maxwell turned his energies to
    > mentoring other entrepreneurs and to philanthropic
    > activities.
    >
    > He is survived by his wife and six children.

  3. In article <[email protected]>, B.
    Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sad news. I remember reading a story a few years back
    > about his founding of Powerbar (Business Week?). Great
    > success story. He sounded like a nice person with a nice
    > family. RIP

    I remember Brian showing up at some Nor Cal local races
    handing out free samples to anyone who would take it. I met
    Brian several times when Powerbar was just getting started
    and they were a sponsor for my club.

  4. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Casey Kerrigan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:240320040837002481%[email protected]...
    > In article
    > <[email protected]>, B.
    > Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Sad news. I remember reading a story a few years back
    > > about his
    founding of
    > > Powerbar (Business Week?). Great success story. He
    > > sounded like a
    nice
    > > person with a nice family. RIP
    > >
    > I remember Brian showing up at some Nor Cal local races
    > handing out free samples to anyone who would take it. I
    > met Brian several times when Powerbar was just getting
    > started and they were a sponsor for my club.

    I've felt like that several times myself after a Berry
    Powerbar.

  5. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    sounds like the powerbar helped out in the bedroom with
    six of em to show for it. wow. now thats an amazing
    success story.