Nova Scotia: Rt.203 for cycling?

Matt Temple

Guest
Could someone please advise if Rt. 203 between Shelburne and Carleton in western Nova Scotia is a
reasonable route for a road bike? I would like to cycle there in mid-July. Thanks! Matt

On 20 Jan 2003, Matt Temple wrote:

> Could someone please advise if Rt. 203 between Shelburne and Carleton in western Nova Scotia is a
> reasonable route for a road bike? I would like to cycle there in mid-July.

This is the (in)famous Tin Mine road, also called the Road To Nowhere!

I rode it in July 2001 to "get it done" and to look for the fabled Blue Mountains.

Advantages- good pavement. Low traffic- I could probably count the total number of vehicles
on one hand.

Disadvantages- about 50 km of NOTHING. Make sure your water bottles
are full, and you have food with you. The first store is at Kemptville.

The map shows the road crosses the "Blue Mountains". Maybe these are
the legendary Blue Mountains that the Stehelins of New France searched for?

"... Blue Mountains. There were many stories and much mystery about them. No one had ever found
them, but everybody was sure they existed, somewhere between St Mary's Bay and the Atlantic
Ocean" - Paul Stehelin; ELECTRIC CITY, p103

The Stehelins didn't find the mountains and neither did I! There are no major hills. There are
very few lakes close to the highway to cool of in, but I got in for swims in the Roseway River and
in First Bear Lake

The road was build to access a tin mine, but the mine closed 10 years ago.

--
David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada email: [email protected] WWW pages:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/