novara (REI) bikes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Scott, Mar 30, 2003.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Hey, does anybody have any input on REI's Novara line of bikes?

    Tags:

  2. Slash

    Slash Guest

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 00:21:55 GMT, "Scott" <[email protected]> scribbled:

    >Hey, does anybody have any input on REI's Novara line of bikes?

    I've got a 2002 Ponderosa FS and am quite happy with it. It's not a light bike, but has good solid
    feel to it. Handles uphills and downhills quite respectably and doesn't mind being tossed around a
    bit. I haven't taken it off of any big jumps or drops, so I can't speak for its extreeeeeeeme
    ability, but it treats me well. I swapped out my fork from the stock 80mm Judy C to a 100mm
    Marzocchi MXR, which made quite a difference as far as smoothing out trail bumps. I didn't pay the
    normal price for mine (it was a customer return [he upgraded] and I got it at a steep discount) so I
    can't really say how they compare value-wise, but REI is usually decent in that regard. I can't
    speak for other REI stores, but the one I shop at has extremely good customer service, and you can't
    beat the warranty.

    They don't seem to have many highend bike offerings, but for an entry/mid level setup I don't think
    you'll be disappointed. Worth considering, at the very least.

    -Slash
    --
    "Ebert Victorious"

    - The Onion

  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Thanks, that's good information. I was thinking of getting the "Safari" adventure touring Novara
    bike. I just started working at REI and I get a really good discount on the gear. I'm glad to hear
    you like the customer service. You can't beat their return policy, can you?

    Scott