Novel approach

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tony Raven

Going in to work today down a dual carriageway with white lined off bands on both the left and right
I came across a cyclist merrily pedalling away in the lined off area to the right of the outside
lane. He seemed quite unperturbed by the traffic whizzing past on his left elbow.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"All truth goes through three steps: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Finally, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer

> He seemed quite unperturbed by the traffic whizzing past on his left elbow.
>

A candidate for the Darwin Awards, to be sure!

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email Mail sent to it is dumped My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

Tony Raven deftly scribbled:

> Going in to work today down a dual carriageway with white lined off bands on both the left and
> right I came across a cyclist merrily pedalling away in the lined off area to the right of the
> outside lane. He seemed quite unperturbed by the traffic whizzing past on his left elbow.
>
> Tony

Any idea how long he's been doing this ? And how long he expects to last ??

;)

--
Digweed

Not me, someone else must be edykated coz e writed:

> Tony Raven deftly scribbled:
>
>> Going in to work today down a dual carriageway with white lined off bands on both the left and
>> right I came across a cyclist merrily pedalling away in the lined off area to the right of the
>> outside lane. He seemed quite unperturbed by the traffic whizzing past on his left elbow.
>>
>> Tony
>
> Any idea how long he's been doing this ? And how long he expects to last ??
>
> ;)

And how the hell did he get out there?

Ian

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:34:07 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Going in to work today down a dual carriageway with white lined off bands on both the left and
> right I came across a cyclist merrily pedalling away in the lined off area to the right of the
> outside lane. He seemed quite unperturbed by the traffic whizzing past on his left elbow.
>
Was there a roundabout ahead where he might have wanted to turn right?

I've been known to get to the far right approaching a roundabout on a 50mph dual carriageway even
without the hatchings when there is a gap in the traffic when the roundabout ahead is one of the
ones where the traffic really doesn't slow down for it.

On the "day of snow" last winter I also cycled home from work in the middle of the road all the way.
For about half the journey I was overtaking traffic (me doing about 10mph, the cars doing about
5mph) and half the journey the cars were "undertaking" me - again, me doing 10mph, the cars about
15mph. There was one car who didn't undertake me until I waved him past, the rest seemed to
understand that the slippery slushy stuff was the car lane and the virgin snow was the bike lane.
(Unfortunately, by the next morning the cars had managed to slushify the bike lane as well so I had
to resort to the car[1] - now I have a windcheetah :)

[1] I did try cycling but I managed about 100 yards before a major skid that I just managed to get
my foot down in time at which point I decided it really wasn't worth it and I would use the
nicely salted motorway instead.

Tim.

--
God said, "div D = rho, div B = 0, curl E = - @B/@t, curl H = J + @D/@t," and there was light.

http://tjw.hn.org/ http://www.locofungus.btinternet.co.uk/

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX must be edykated coz she writed:

>> And how the hell did he get out there?
>
> Pedalled very quickly???
>
Another one for the furious pedalling charge then.

Ian

In news:[email protected], Tim Woodall <[email protected]> typed:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:34:07 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Going in to work today down a dual carriageway with white lined off bands on both the left and
>> right I came across a cyclist merrily pedalling away in the lined off area to the right of the
>> outside lane. He seemed quite unperturbed by the traffic whizzing past on his left elbow.
>>
> Was there a roundabout ahead where he might have wanted to turn right?
>

Not for another mile at least

Tony

--

"All truth goes through three steps: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> right I came across a cyclist merrily pedalling away
in
> the lined off area to the right of the outside lane.

Sounds like a prime candidate for a puncture with all the flint, glass and other debris that ends up
in these areas.

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>
> Tony

Amused...

If crossing slipways is the most dangerous part of cycling on fast roads, maybe he got the
right idea?

(devil's advocate)

Kit

On 19 Jun 2003, Kit Wolf wrote:

> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Going in to work today down a dual carriageway with white lined off bands on both the left and
> > right I came across a cyclist merrily pedalling away in the lined off area to the right of the
> > outside lane. He seemed quite unperturbed by the traffic whizzing past on his left elbow.
> >

No worse than France.

> > Tony
>
> Amused...
>
> If crossing slipways is the most dangerous part of cycling on fast roads, maybe he got the
> right idea?
>
> (devil's advocate)
>
> Kit

And furthermore, he'll be further away from heavy lorry-suction there.

Do as I do, not as I say...

KW

In news:p[email protected], Kit Wolf
<[email protected]> typed:
>
> No worse than France.
>

Except that in France that is the lane where traffic speeds are generally lower whereas in UK they
are generally higher

>
> And furthermore, he'll be further away from heavy lorry-suction there.
>

Unless one is in the RH lane in which case he will get the much worse suction of a heavy lorry at
full speed and probably not pulling left to give more room

> Do as I do, not as I say...
>

Sound advice given what you say ;-)

Tony

--

Status
Not open for further replies.