Novel approach

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony Raven, Jun 19, 2003.

  1. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Going in to work today down a dual carriageway with white lined off bands on both the left and right
    I came across a cyclist merrily pedalling away in the lined off area to the right of the outside
    lane. He seemed quite unperturbed by the traffic whizzing past on his left elbow.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  2. > He seemed quite unperturbed by the traffic whizzing past on his left elbow.

    A candidate for the Darwin Awards, to be sure!

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Not Me

    Not Me Guest

    Tony Raven deftly scribbled:

    > Going in to work today down a dual carriageway with white lined off bands on both the left and
    > right I came across a cyclist merrily pedalling away in the lined off area to the right of the
    > outside lane. He seemed quite unperturbed by the traffic whizzing past on his left elbow.
    >
    > Tony

    Any idea how long he's been doing this ? And how long he expects to last ??

    ;)

    --
    Digweed

  4. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Not me, someone else must be edykated coz e writed:

    > Tony Raven deftly scribbled:
    >
    >> Going in to work today down a dual carriageway with white lined off bands on both the left and
    >> right I came across a cyclist merrily pedalling away in the lined off area to the right of the
    >> outside lane. He seemed quite unperturbed by the traffic whizzing past on his left elbow.
    >>
    >> Tony
    >
    > Any idea how long he's been doing this ? And how long he expects to last ??
    >
    > ;)

    And how the hell did he get out there?

    Ian

  5. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:34:07 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Going in to work today down a dual carriageway with white lined off bands on both the left and
    > right I came across a cyclist merrily pedalling away in the lined off area to the right of the
    > outside lane. He seemed quite unperturbed by the traffic whizzing past on his left elbow.

    Was there a roundabout ahead where he might have wanted to turn right?

    I've been known to get to the far right approaching a roundabout on a 50mph dual carriageway even
    without the hatchings when there is a gap in the traffic when the roundabout ahead is one of the
    ones where the traffic really doesn't slow down for it.

    On the "day of snow" last winter I also cycled home from work in the middle of the road all the way.
    For about half the journey I was overtaking traffic (me doing about 10mph, the cars doing about
    5mph) and half the journey the cars were "undertaking" me - again, me doing 10mph, the cars about
    15mph. There was one car who didn't undertake me until I waved him past, the rest seemed to
    understand that the slippery slushy stuff was the car lane and the virgin snow was the bike lane.
    (Unfortunately, by the next morning the cars had managed to slushify the bike lane as well so I had
    to resort to the car[1] - now I have a windcheetah :)

    [1] I did try cycling but I managed about 100 yards before a major skid that I just managed to get
    my foot down in time at which point I decided it really wasn't worth it and I would use the
    nicely salted motorway instead.

    Tim.

  6. Ian

    Ian Guest

    wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX must be edykated coz she writed:

    >> And how the hell did he get out there?
    >
    > Pedalled very quickly???

    Another one for the furious pedalling charge then.

    Ian

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Tim Woodall <[email protected]> typed:
    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:34:07 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Going in to work today down a dual carriageway with white lined off bands on both the left and
    >> right I came across a cyclist merrily pedalling away in the lined off area to the right of the
    >> outside lane. He seemed quite unperturbed by the traffic whizzing past on his left elbow.
    >>
    > Was there a roundabout ahead where he might have wanted to turn right?

    Not for another mile at least

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  8. "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Going in to work today down a dual carriageway with white lined off bands on both the left and
    > right I came across a cyclist merrily pedalling away
    in
    > the lined off area to the right of the outside lane.

    Sounds like a prime candidate for a puncture with all the flint, glass and other debris that ends up
    in these areas.

  9. Kit Wolf

    Kit Wolf Guest

    > Going in to work today down a dual carriageway with white lined off bands on both the left and
    > right I came across a cyclist merrily pedalling away in the lined off area to the right of the
    > outside lane. He seemed quite unperturbed by the traffic whizzing past on his left elbow.
    >
    > Tony

    Amused...

    If crossing slipways is the most dangerous part of cycling on fast roads, maybe he got the
    right idea?

    (devil's advocate)

    Kit

  10. Kit Wolf

    Kit Wolf Guest

    On 19 Jun 2003, Kit Wolf wrote:

    > "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Going in to work today down a dual carriageway with white lined off bands on both the left and
    > > right I came across a cyclist merrily pedalling away in the lined off area to the right of the
    > > outside lane. He seemed quite unperturbed by the traffic whizzing past on his left elbow.

    No worse than France.

    > > Tony
    >
    > Amused...
    >
    > If crossing slipways is the most dangerous part of cycling on fast roads, maybe he got the
    > right idea?
    >
    > (devil's advocate)
    >
    > Kit

    And furthermore, he'll be further away from heavy lorry-suction there.

    Do as I do, not as I say...

    KW

  11. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:p[email protected], Kit Wolf
    <[email protected]> typed:

    > No worse than France.

    Except that in France that is the lane where traffic speeds are generally lower whereas in UK they
    are generally higher

    > And furthermore, he'll be further away from heavy lorry-suction there.

    Unless one is in the RH lane in which case he will get the much worse suction of a heavy lorry at
    full speed and probably not pulling left to give more room

    > Do as I do, not as I say...

    Sound advice given what you say ;-)

    Tony

    --