NOw I need some help with a newer bottom bracket

McSpin

Mar 17, 2005
My new bike has an ultegra crank and hollowtech II bottom bracket. After only a few hundred miles, I started getting a click from the bottom bracket. After studying this bottom bracket, I can't figure out how to adjust the friction on the bearings, or even how to add any lubrication.

Any advise would be appreciated.

It is unkiley the bearings are shot after only a few hundred miles. Most "clicks" are the result of something being loose. Try to isolate the click if possible.

You might consider removing the arms and checking the security of the cups in the frame. Re-install the arms and fully tighten the left arm bolts. There is no bearing "adjustment." The left arm is pushed to the face of the left bearing, but should not be jammed into the bearing.

See also http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=122

Okay, I've read the Park Tool info. It says to put a particular tightening torque on the cap. I have the Park Tool BBT-9, but I don't know how to measure the torque when using this tool. Can anyone give me guidence in getting this right?

The torque is only a recommendation. The concept is to bring the arm over to the bearing, but no more. After securing the pinch bolts, push on the center of the each arm and check for play. If there is movement, loosen the pinch bolts in the left arm and tighten the adjusting cap a bit more.

As Calvin said, it's unlikely the BB has a problem. Make sure it's not your pedals or somehow the chainrings. Make sure there's not a screw going through the frame that is rubbing the BB.

rcrampton said:
As Calvin said, it's unlikely the BB has a problem. Make sure it's not your pedals or somehow the chainrings. Make sure there's not a screw going through the frame that is rubbing the BB.

Lube; BB and cranks. Check that everything is tightened properly; BB, crank arms, chain rings, pedals.