Now I remember why I quit cycling!

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Dave Clary, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. Dave Clary

    Dave Clary Guest

    Because the drivers in my part of town are complete assholes. I have a short commute to work but
    there are only three possible routes for me to go home. Two two-lane roads and one four
    lane--neither one has any shoulder at all. I do my Forrester best and "take the lane" but it's scary
    as hell with these yahoos barreling down on you in an F250 and waiting till the last possible second
    to change lanes. Today I had a guy pull up next to me and in his best "Deliverance" drawl said "Boy,
    you gonna get hurt REAL bad out here."

    I think I'll try meandering down the sidewalk tomorrow. I don't want to give this up. The ride in is
    enjoyable and I like getting my exercise in before I get home and have to deal with home work and
    honey-do's.

    Aaaarggghhhh!!

    Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx EZ-1SC Pilot (Texas P-38 Squadron Retired) Home:
    http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary P-38 Stuff: http://www.geocities.com/TexasP38/TexasP38.html

    Tags:

  2. Shwackman

    Shwackman Guest

    >Today I had a guy pull up next to me and >in his best "Deliverance" drawl said "Boy, you gonna >get
    >hurt REAL bad out here."

    >I think I'll try meandering down the >sidewalk tomorrow. I don't want to give this up
    Hi Dave, hang in there, and DON'T give up!! I have days like that too. I've been seriously
    commuting for almost 6 years. It helps to force yourself NOT to look up at the drivers once they
    have passed, (hope you use a helmet mirror) "training" them is hopeless, and if you don't watch
    people flipping you off, pointing at the sidewalk, or whatever, it will leave much less of an
    impression on you, which will make your commute easier to stick with. Good Luck! Mark C.

  3. Floyd Sense

    Floyd Sense Guest

    Hate to tell you this Dave, but the guy probably gave you pretty good advice. Those who insist on
    "taking the lane" are those idealists who have never been run down by an auto and never had to
    recover from a serious auto-induced injury. And, by the way, chances for a complete recovery and
    return to normalcy are pretty slim. Find a safer time and place to ride. There are times when being
    right isn't worth the price.

    "Dave Clary" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Because the drivers in my part of town are complete assholes. I have a
    short
    > commute to work but there are only three possible routes for me to go
    home. Two
    > two-lane roads and one four lane--neither one has any shoulder at all. I
    do my
    > Forrester best and "take the lane" but it's scary as hell with these
    yahoos
    > barreling down on you in an F250 and waiting till the last possible second
    > change lanes. Today I had a guy pull up next to me and in his best "Deliverance" drawl said "Boy,
    > you gonna get hurt REAL bad out here."
    >
    > I think I'll try meandering down the sidewalk tomorrow. I don't want to
    give
    > this up. The ride in is enjoyable and I like getting my exercise in
    before I
    > get home and have to deal with home work and honey-do's.
    >
    > Aaaarggghhhh!!
    >
    > Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx EZ-1SC Pilot (Texas P-38 Squadron Retired) Home:
    > http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary P-38 Stuff: http://www.geocities.com/TexasP38/TexasP38.html

  4. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    Dave, my brother-in-law's three friend's were riding recently in Texas and got hit by a semi, 1
    killed. That's a shame when anyone can not ride with out being harrassed by cars.

    Dave Clary wrote:
    > Because the drivers in my part of town are complete assholes. I have a short commute to work but
    > there are only three possible routes for me to go home. Two two-lane roads and one four
    > lane--neither one has any shoulder at all. I do my Forrester best and "take the lane" but it's
    > scary as hell with these yahoos barreling down on you in an F250 and waiting till the last
    > possible second to change lanes. Today I had a guy pull up next to me and in his best
    > "Deliverance" drawl said "Boy, you gonna get hurt REAL bad out here."
    >
    > I think I'll try meandering down the sidewalk tomorrow. I don't want to give this up. The ride in
    > is enjoyable and I like getting my exercise in before I get home and have to deal with home work
    > and honey-do's.
    >
    > Aaaarggghhhh!!
    >
    > Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx EZ-1SC Pilot (Texas P-38 Squadron Retired) Home:
    > http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary P-38 Stuff: http://www.geocities.com/TexasP38/TexasP38.html

  5. Scoot

    Scoot Guest

    >Because the drivers in my part of town are complete assholes.

    That attitude is probably the result of having WAAAAAAAYYYYY too many What-A-Burger stands in town.
    I have visited CC a few times and really am amazed at the number of WAB's. (which possibly explains
    the size of the butt on the statue along the shore...you know the one I mean)

    Ride safe and watch them four wheel demons...

    Scoot
    "Trying to save someone from their own stupidity is like trying to teach a pig how to dance: it
    wastes your time, and annoys the pig."

  6. Dave Clary

    Dave Clary Guest

    On 11 Sep 2003 02:49:31 GMT, [email protected] (Scoot) wrote:

    >>Because the drivers in my part of town are complete assholes.
    >
    >That attitude is probably the result of having WAAAAAAAYYYYY too many What-A-Burger stands in town.

    Can't have too many Whataburgers. We have far too many Circle K's--but not WB!!
    :)

    BTW, I eat a Whataburger without the bread for lunch every day ( a What-a-atkins-burger). I've lost
    42 pounds since mid-march. Take that Subway!!

    >amazed at the number of WAB's. (which possibly explains the size of the butt on the statue along
    >the shore...you know the one I mean)

    gotta be Selena!

    >Ride safe and watch them four wheel demons...

    Easier said than done but thanks!!

    Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx EZ-1SC Pilot (Texas P-38 Squadron Retired) Home:
    http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary P-38 Stuff: http://www.geocities.com/TexasP38/TexasP38.html

  7. Dave Clary

    Dave Clary Guest

    On 11 Sep 2003 01:29:49 GMT, [email protected] (Shwackman) wrote:

    > Hi Dave, hang in there, and DON'T give up!! I have days like that too.

    I'm talking about EVERY day--it doesn't change!

    >helps to force yourself NOT to look up at the drivers once they have passed, (hope you use a helmet
    >mirror) "training" them is hopeless, and if you don't watch people flipping you off, pointing at
    >the sidewalk, or whatever, it will leave much less of an impression on you, which will make your
    >commute easier to stick with.

    That stuff doesn't bother me--it's the daily close calls and realizing that a side mirror on one of
    these trucks can kill me!!

    Good Luck!

    Thanks....I need it!

    Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx EZ-1SC Pilot (Texas P-38 Squadron Retired) Home:
    http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary P-38 Stuff: http://www.geocities.com/TexasP38/TexasP38.html.

  8. WHATABURGER! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH, that DELICIOUS Burger brings back SO MANY FOND memories of my
    Native Houston days! (And also a Broiler Burger #4 Chilly Cheese) Born (Hatched, dropped off by
    aliens, etc.) and 33 years of being there, before I hoofed it to South Florida in 88. Since I gave
    up so-called junk burger food (NEVER CONSIDERED Whataburger junk food though) 2 years ago, I've
    dropped 20+ lbs. BUT I'd SUCK DOWN a BIG DOUBLE WHATABURGER SO QUICK, if there was one local here in
    South Florida. EZ (WANT A WHATABURGER) Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Aero & GRR Ti Pilot)

    "Dave Clary" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On 11 Sep 2003 02:49:31 GMT, [email protected] (Scoot) wrote:
    >

    > >>Because the drivers in my part of town are complete assholes.
    > >
    > >That attitude is probably the result of having WAAAAAAAYYYYY too many What-A-Burger stands
    > >in town.

  9. Edward Wong

    Edward Wong Guest

    Dave Clary <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Because the drivers in my part of town are complete assholes. I have a short commute to work but
    > there are only three possible routes for me to go home. Two two-lane roads and one four
    > lane--neither one has any shoulder at all. I do my Forrester best and "take the lane" but it's
    > scary as hell with these yahoos barreling down on you in an F250 and waiting till the last
    > possible second to change lanes. Today I had a guy pull up next to me and in his best
    > "Deliverance" drawl said "Boy, you gonna get hurt REAL bad out here."
    >
    > I think I'll try meandering down the sidewalk tomorrow. I don't want to give this up. The ride in
    > is enjoyable and I like getting my exercise in before I get home and have to deal with home work
    > and honey-do's.
    >
    > Aaaarggghhhh!!
    >
    > Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx EZ-1SC Pilot (Texas P-38 Squadron Retired) Home:
    > http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary P-38 Stuff: http://www.geocities.com/TexasP38/TexasP38.html

    Don't give in Dave! I too have a short commute to work on some really busy streets with no shoulders
    but the right lane is plenty wide for me and the cars. I've had a few incidents of drivers honking
    or hollering "get on the sidewalk", etc. These are strangely far less frequent now. Maybe they're
    getting used to me;-)

    Edward Wong Orlando, FL

  10. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    Dave,

    I hear ya. Being your neighbor to the north (Oklahoma), we have the rednecks cruising the streets too. More than once have I thought in my mind about the duelling banjo song from Deliverance.

    The smart commuter knows when to take the sidewalks. The notion of the LAB's taking a third of the lane theory is nice. But doing that all the time makes a cyclist the traffic fodder.

    On my way to work, I generally have a good ride. There are a few spots that I take the sidewalk for safety reasons. On the way back, I take the backroads and goes through alleys and unconventional places to get home. Usually that is marred by teenagers wanting to get as close to me without clipping me.

  11. Pat O'Malley

    Pat O'Malley Guest

    > I think I'll try meandering down the sidewalk tomorrow. I don't want to give this up. The ride in
    > is enjoyable and I like getting my exercise in before I get home and have to deal with home work
    > and honey-do's.
    >
    > Aaaarggghhhh!!
    >
    > Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx EZ-1SC Pilot (Texas P-38 Squadron Retired) Home:
    > http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary P-38 Stuff: http://www.geocities.com/TexasP38/TexasP38.html

    Dave, I commute in Austin where the people are supposed to be more enlightened than the avg Texan.
    And for the most part the majority of motorists are OK, but it only takes one jerk to ruin your day,
    or life. So I ride an extra 2 miles in order to avoid bad streets, but like you there are only so
    many routes between Points A and B. So I ride on the sidewalks ( Why not? There aren't any
    pedestrians in Texas!) and have to get off my bike in 2 places to carry it over curbs in parking
    lots that I cut through. Oh, but did I mention I don't ride the bent? As much as I prefer bents I am
    convinced that a DF is a better choice in urban traffic. More manueverable, quicker starts, better
    visibility, and able to jump and bump over curbs, and plow through gutter trash. Our right to the
    road won't protect us from those few jerks that can't slow down for a few seconds.If you can't share
    the lane, espesially in rush hour traffic, then get off that road. Taking the lane in busy city
    traffic ain't gonna educate nobody. It just pisses most motorists off, provoking some hot head to
    take a risk with your life in order to teach YOU a lesson! Find another route, or alter your
    schedule if possible to avoid the peak traffic, or even walk the bike through the really bad
    sections.Be careful out there.

  12. Bill Anton

    Bill Anton Guest

    Dave Clary <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I think I'll try meandering down the sidewalk tomorrow.

    Don't do it, Dave. One of my old riding partners in Houston is a bicycle enthusiast/attorney, who
    told me that statistically, you are 4 times MORE likely to get hit by a car riding on the sidewalk
    than on the street. Ride the road, keep one eye in the mirror, claim your space, take the lane when
    necessary, and don't let them intimidate you. A couple years ago, there was a law passed in Texas
    that says a cyclist has the right to take the lane when it is less than 14 feet wide. Personally, I
    always leave myself at least 6 feet of swerve-room between myself and the curb (or parked cars). I
    assert my position within the lane, but I'm also watching my "6", prepared to swerve into the gutter
    if necessary (and it seldom is). I found this method worked well even in downtown Houston rush hour
    traffic. Lubbock is a cinch compared to that. Of course, drivers will tolerate you better if you can
    ride 25-30 MPH between stoplights. Nothing like some aggressive rush hour traffic to get your heart
    rate well into the target zone!

    Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40, SWB OSS Lubbock, TX, USA

  13. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    [email protected] (Bill Anton) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Dave Clary <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >> I think I'll try meandering down the sidewalk tomorrow.
    >
    > Don't do it, Dave. One of my old riding partners in Houston is a bicycle enthusiast/attorney, who
    > told me that statistically, you are 4 times MORE likely to get hit by a car riding on the sidewalk
    > than on the street.

    This MIT paper says "180% more likely". http://www.danenet.wicip.org/bcp/dilemma.html

    Just this morn, after taking my turn at a 4 way stop, an idiot in a mini-van yelled "get a
    real bike". Before I even thought about it, I had already yelled the standard but effective
    "go to hell". "Get a real car" would have been better. About 5 miles later, I was riding up
    that very steep but thankfully short grade at Cedar Canyon. A car was following patiently
    behind me, so I pulled off into my friend's driveway and stopped, the car pulled alongside.
    I thought "<sigh> what's this?" An older man said "that's a great bike!" We chatted for some
    time, and I was grateful to have made a new friend especially because it helped me put the
    previous guy in perspective. Last week, a UPS driver made a big deal about passing me on a
    nearly vacant road, only to stop the truck in the middle of the road 200 feet later, so I
    had to pass him. Asshole. Wish I'd met somebody nice right after to help put THAT guy in
    perspective...

    cheers, rorschandt

  14. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    [email protected] (Bill Anton) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dave Clary <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > > I think I'll try meandering down the sidewalk tomorrow.
    >
    > Don't do it, Dave. One of my old riding partners in Houston is a bicycle enthusiast/attorney, who
    > told me that statistically, you are 4 times MORE likely to get hit by a car riding on the sidewalk
    > than on the street.

    Might that not be because statistically most of the riders on the sidewalk are children?

  15. Dave Clary

    Dave Clary Guest

    On 11 Sep 2003 08:35:18 -0700, [email protected] (Pat O'Malley) wrote:

    >the bent? As much as I prefer bents I am convinced that a DF is a better choice in urban traffic.
    >More manueverable, quicker starts, better visibility, and able to jump and bump over curbs, and
    >plow through gutter trash.

    Yea, I agree with that--at least for the route I HAVE to take to get to my house. The way I got
    started cycling again after a lay off was to repossess the DF I had bought for my couch potato son
    in an attempt to get him out for some exercise. But it just sat in the garage. After riding it for a
    couple weeks, I started reading this group while researching an EZ-1. I had to get 'bent again--I
    just can't do the DF thing anymore! :)

    > Our right to the road won't protect us from those few jerks that can't slow down for a few
    > seconds.If you can't share the lane, espesially in rush hour traffic, then get off that road.
    > Taking the lane in busy city traffic ain't gonna educate nobody. It just pisses most motorists
    > off, provoking some hot head to take a risk with your life in order to teach YOU a lesson!

    Effective Cycling is great in theory--I think what you are describing is the real world. My activist
    days are way behind me. I was member of the Texas Bicycle Coalition and was even being recruited as
    a board member. I know how it's supposed to work. But I'm riding to try and enjoy myself and unwind
    after a day of work--worrying about becoming a hood ornament isn't part of that equation.

    > >Find another route, or alter your
    >schedule if possible to avoid the peak traffic,

    Unfortunately, neither or doable options. The only thing left is to try the sidewalk and not worry
    about making time. I'll have to be very defensive, dodge obstacles, be wary of driveways and the
    like. I can probably live with that as long as I get to "fly" going into work in the morning.

    BTW...my first "long distance" ride on a bicycle was from Bergstrom AFB to a friend's house near
    IH35 and the airport (the old one). I bought a Raleigh Super GranPrix from a place that was a combo
    locksmith/bike shop (forget the name) in 1978 or so.

    Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx EZ-1SC Pilot (Texas P-38 Squadron Retired) Home:
    http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary P-38 Stuff: http://www.geocities.com/TexasP38/TexasP38.html

  16. Dave Clary

    Dave Clary Guest

    On 11 Sep 2003 08:51:44 -0700, [email protected] (Bill Anton) wrote:

    >Dave Clary <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >> I think I'll try meandering down the sidewalk tomorrow.
    >
    >Don't do it, Dave. One of my old riding partners in Houston is a bicycle enthusiast/attorney, who
    >told me that statistically, you are 4 times MORE likely to get hit by a car riding on the sidewalk
    >than on the street.

    I think that number can be easily reduced if going in you know you have to ride defensively and are
    prepared to stop often.

    >you. A couple years ago, there was a law passed in Texas that says a cyclist has the right to take
    >the lane when it is less than 14 feet wide.

    That's fine but an epitaph on my head stone saying "but he had the right to be there" probably won't
    comfort my family much.

    > Personally, I always leave myself at least 6 feet of swerve-room between myself and the curb (or
    > parked cars). I assert my position within the lane, but I'm also watching my "6", prepared to
    > swerve into the gutter if necessary (and it seldom is).

    I probably wasn't clear in describing the road I have to ride. There is NO room to the right. The
    right lane is no wider than the left. An expressway empties onto this road so the traffic light
    cycle means that eventually I'll have 20 vehicles behind me. I know I have the right to be there,
    but I have several cars behind me (more likely trucks), all doing at least 50mph in a 40, and they
    have no place to go. And I live in a city where the local talk radio king pin rags on cyclist from
    time-to-time.

    This is why my other news group is rec.sport.golf!!! :)

    Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary RSG Roll Call
    http://www.rec-sport-golf.com/members/?rollcall=claryd

    oooops...that should have been..

    Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx EZ-1SC Pilot (Texas P-38 Squadron Retired) Home:
    http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary P-38 Stuff: http://www.geocities.com/TexasP38/TexasP38.html

  17. Marvin

    Marvin Guest

    > > > I think I'll try meandering down the sidewalk tomorrow.
    > >
    > > Don't do it, Dave. One of my old riding partners in Houston is a bicycle enthusiast/attorney,
    > > who told me that statistically, you are 4 times MORE likely to get hit by a car riding on the
    > > sidewalk than on the street.
    Are you saying, that if you are on the sidewalk, a car will come on the sidewalk and run over you, 4
    times more likely than if you ride in traffic?

    Which is likely to be more fatal?

  18. On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:43:21 -0700, "Marvin" <mawego at comcast.net> wrote:

    >Which is likely to be more fatal?

    Just a guess -- the one that kills you the more dead?

  19. Bob B Ballz

    Bob B Ballz Guest

    > > > Don't do it, Dave. One of my old riding partners in Houston is a bicycle enthusiast/attorney,
    > > > who told me that statistically, you are 4 times MORE likely to get hit by a car riding on the
    > > > sidewalk than on the street.

    rednecks keep their dickless monster trucks on the asphalt?!?!?

  20. Marvin

    Marvin Guest

    Let me re-phrase that. Which is more likely to be fatal? ;-)
    news:[email protected]...