Now it is only Basso and armstrong

hillelos

Jul 2, 2005
The weak hand of Basso is the Time trails- but this year he is much better. In the mountains he is the only one that can beat Armstrong.

All the others- maybe they can be as good as Armstrong, but with 1:30 minutes ahead and one more time-trail, they can't catch him- nor Ullrich neither Vinokurov.

But Basso can win this tour.

hillelos said:
The weak hand of Basso is the Time trails- but this year he is much better. In the mountains he is the only one that can beat Armstrong.

All the others- maybe they can be as good as Armstrong, but with 1:30 minutes ahead and one more time-trail, they can't catch him- nor Ullrich neither Vinokurov.

To my dismay, I'll agree with you about Ullrich; he's shown nothing recently to suggest he has the power to ride away from the elite climbers in the mountains, and at this point he's going to need some significant chunks of time.

But Vino: he's had a good early season (the win up Ventoux in the Libere was particularly impressive) , and he's more spry, impetuous, and explosive. I think he might wake up one morning feeling particularly good and say "this is it", and try to blow apart the field as he did in 2003 where he precipitated Beloki's demise (and almost Armstrong's). The odds of him getting back all the time to Armstrong, much less gaining time he'll need to offset a sure deficit in the last ITT, are slim, but I think he looks as good as Basso these days as a potential rival to Lance for the rest of the TdF.

Surely today, of all stages, has shown you just how easy it is to lose 1.30min.

So – no I don’t think it’s only Basso and Armstrong.

hillelos said:

Have you looked at the standings from the first stage? Vino and Ullrich were both ahead of Basso. And, right now... Vino is +1.21, Basso is +1.26, while Ullrich is at +1.36. Vino will surely be where the action is when the road goes up and hopefully Ullrich too.

Vinokurov can beat armstrong once, but can he hold it for many stages in the mountains?

Comparing the performances of Armstrong, Basso, Vino, Ullrich, and some other riders, this year and previous years, the only one that has improved significantly from last year is Basso.
I think Vino has improved, but not enough.

About Basso- do you think that his participation in the Giro can influence his results?
:)

compare the results of Ullrich, Vino and Basso from previous years.
For Vino and Ullrich, time trails are the strong side. Not for Basso!

sam_m said:
Have you looked at the standings from the first stage? Vino and Ullrich were both ahead of Basso. And, right now... Vino is +1.21, Basso is +1.26, while Ullrich is at +1.36. Vino will surely be where the action is when the road goes up and hopefully Ullrich too.

I think Vino can match Armstrong in the mountains. But, we'll have to wait and see. And, I agree that Basso has shown great improvement over the last 2 to 3 years and he did win the white jersey once as well.

Basso will look at his performance in the Giro and know that he is capable of accelerating and dropping the top climbers! But, the tour is another story...

On a side note... Do you think its time to change my avatar or is there a chance for Mayo to possibly make the podium...?

I don't know what is wrong with Mayo. I think he himself doesn't believe he can do it

but I think Azavedo have some thinkings of being on the podium. He looks a little beat better than last years- and maybe he can do it.

sam_m said:
I think Vino can match Armstrong in the mountains. But, we'll have to wait and see. And, I agree that Basso has shown great improvement over the last 2 to 3 years and he did win the white jersey once as well.

Basso will look at his performance in the Giro and know that he is capable of accelerating and dropping the top climbers! But, the tour is another story...

On a side note... Do you think its time to change my avatar or is there a chance for Mayo to possibly make the podium...?

It'll never happen, but it'd be nice if Beloki could have made some GC noise this year. I admire him for pledging to attack Armstrong at every opportunity in 2003, and for being pretty much the catalyst for the most lively action on the mountain stages until his unfortunate accident.

He's never been the same since, although I think his time trial in Stage 1 was surprisingly . . . . not terrible. (Faint praise, I know, but genuine praise nonetheless.)

It will be nice if he will win a stage or at least show some sparks from his talent.

Thinking of his fall ...autch...
:(
rejobako said:
It'll never happen, but it'd be nice if Beloki could have made some GC noise this year. I admire him for pledging to attack Armstrong at every opportunity in 2003, and for being pretty much the catalyst for the most lively action on the mountain stages until his unfortunate accident.

He's never been the same since, although I think his time trial in Stage 1 was surprisingly . . . . not terrible. (Faint praise, I know, but genuine praise nonetheless.)

hillelos said:

I absolutly agree that is exactly how it is going to go down I don't care what anyone else says.

I feel Basso will be unstoppable in the mountains. it all depends on what Lance can pull off in his old age :D.

Certainly Basso could be Armstrong's primary adversary, but I see Vino as also a big threat, and though nobody seems to be talking about it I am seeing an unbelievable BELOKI up till now. Heras and Ullrich, cannot be written off. Sevilla, Frigo, Karpets, and maybe one of the liquigas boys can still contend.
hillelos said:

I forgot to mention Botero and Moreau as still quite alive. But vinokourov having a number of really fine climbers as teammates like Guerini, Kloden, and Sevilla. not to mention Ullrich should be able to put a lot of pressure on Armstrong and co.
hillelos said:

ilpirata said:
I forgot to mention Botero and Moreau as still quite alive. But vinokourov having a number of really fine climbers as teammates like Guerini, Kloden, and Sevilla. not to mention Ullrich should be able to put a lot of pressure on Armstrong and co.

No doubt that it is up to the others (especially T-Mobile) to turn up the heat as if they have nothing to lose, but given the display of strength of the entire DC team to this point (even down to Noval's TTT turnaround performance), I don't think the other contenders are feeling quite as confident as they may have at the start of the tour.

It will be interesting to see who tries what (as always).

Oke there is just 1 person who will hurt the disco's and that is BASSO!

As for a team............IF T-mobile play it good they can also hurt the Disco's!

Phonak, gerolsteiner, rabo are out..........not even talking about mcgee, rogers!

Oh yeah mayo...........don't have a clue what he is going to do. The commentators said during the TDS he was 'playing with his paddles'. Well if this is playing with his paddles I don't know. Mayo is very unpredictable....

Ted B said:
No doubt that it is up to the others (especially T-Mobile) to turn up the heat as if they have nothing to lose, but given the display of strength of the entire DC team to this point (even down to Noval's TTT turnaround performance), I don't think the other contenders are feeling quite as confident as they may have at the start of the tour.

It will be interesting to see who tries what (as always).

I'm still praying for some of the smaller teams and their riders to pull it off. I've noticed that Heras is moving up as well as Savilla. There are a lot of other good riders moving up without much notice being placed on them right now. My favorite, Mayo, isn't doing ANYTHING! I don't even think he's got his head in the game.

hillelos said:
but I think Azavedo have some thinkings of being on the podium. He looks a little beat better than last years- and maybe he can do it.

I love Azevedo. He was awesome in 02 for Beloki and awesome last year for LA, but why do you think he looks better this year? I haven't seen much convincing evidence that he is better than last year... I haven't seen much evidence, period.