Now it is only Basso and armstrong

What about Valverde?

can he do something this tour?

Who are the new names that can surprise, as Vino did in 2003?

MJtje said:
Oke there is just 1 person who will hurt the disco's and that is BASSO!

As for a team............IF T-mobile play it good they can also hurt the Disco's!

Phonak, gerolsteiner, rabo are out..........not even talking about mcgee, rogers!

Oh yeah mayo...........don't have a clue what he is going to do. The commentators said during the TDS he was 'playing with his paddles'. Well if this is playing with his paddles I don't know. Mayo is very unpredictable....

Valverde is a good rider, maybe top-10...........but that will be allready hard! Besides he came to the tour to learn.....

And I want to ad 1 name: heras......he looks sharp! Hopefully he does something in the mountains this year (but it's all hopes). Still only 1 contender can challenge LA this year and that is Basso. And the only team who can challenge the disco's is T-mobile.

hillelos said:
What about Valverde?

can he do something this tour?

Who are the new names that can surprise, as Vino did in 2003?

Since leaving Armstrong, Heras is realy not impressive. maybe can be better than last year , but...

About teams - T mobile have good names but bad spirit. CSC can be better as a team, I think.

Every year there are at least 1 or 2 surprises in the top 10. Vino in 2003, Kloden in 2004.
Who can do it this year??
;)
MJtje said:
Valverde is a good rider, maybe top-10...........but that will be allready hard! Besides he came to the tour to learn.....

And I want to ad 1 name: heras......he looks sharp! Hopefully he does something in the mountains this year (but it's all hopes). Still only 1 contender can challenge LA this year and that is Basso. And the only team who can challenge the disco's is T-mobile.

Well what do you want to hear........MENCHOV! His teammates are excited he's so good. BUT he is allready 3.54 min down on LA.

His goal is top-5 (I don't think he can get that), but there is youre suprise:D

hillelos said:
Since leaving Armstrong, Heras is realy not impressive. maybe can be better than last year , but...

About teams - T mobile have good names but bad spirit. CSC can be better as a team, I think.

Every year there are at least 1 or 2 surprises in the top 10. Vino in 2003, Kloden in 2004.
Who can do it this year??
;)

Sastre is working for Basso.....and he was not good in the DL leading up to the tour! And Mancebo........well what can I say he lacks a bit of everything to get on the podium.....still good though. Top-10 sure....

hillelos said:
What about Sastre and Mancebo? are they in good shape this year?

Maybe Casar?
MJtje said:
Well what do you want to hear........MENCHOV! His teammates are excited he's so good. BUT he is allready 3.54 min down on LA.

His goal is top-5 (I don't think he can get that), but there is youre suprise:D

LOL, do you want to go through the whole peloton............

Podium: 1) LA 2) Basso 3) Vino 4) Ulle.................and then it will be closer menchov, mancebo, karpets, landis, botero, who knows maybe mayo will be youre suprise.

But casar is nowhere near top-10.......and that were the lessons for today:D

hillelos said:
Maybe Casar?

Vladimir Karpets did pretty well in the 1st stage so he's one that could surprise us... But first I wanna see him climbing...

I really like Menchov too, but as someone already mentioned he´s's already 4 minutes down...

Why can't it be more like my cycling manager game.. ;) Where the times are pretty close.

snyper0311 said:
I'm still praying for some of the smaller teams and their riders to pull it off. I've noticed that Heras is moving up as well as Savilla. There are a lot of other good riders moving up without much notice being placed on them right now. My favorite, Mayo, isn't doing ANYTHING! I don't even think he's got his head in the game.
How's exactly "Heras" moving up? Or Sevilla?

We had two time trials and three bunch sprints.

If by moving up you mean improve in overall standings due to team time trial, it has very little to do with individual strength and has more to do with the team. And it has NOTHING to do with the way any of those guys will climb once big mountains hit them!!!

the most important rider in the tour is certainly vino. he's aggressive and unpredictable; no matter what he's still working for Ullrich. He'll be sent on a suicidal attack in the mountains with the goal of making Armstrong suffer - ala Pantani. The difference is Vino has the guts to finish the Tour. My podium: 1. LA 2. Ullrich 3. Basso

benson said:
the most important rider in the tour is certainly vino. he's aggressive and unpredictable; no matter what he's still working for Ullrich. He'll be sent on a suicidal attack in the mountains with the goal of making Armstrong suffer - ala Pantani. The difference is Vino has the guts to finish the Tour. My podium: 1. LA 2. Ullrich 3. Basso
I agree with this sentiment, Vino is the one rider who could win it, or finish 40th-50th due to a complete bonk.

I think we will have a surprise person on the podium. I am pretty sure Armstorng will be on the podium, but I dont think both Ullrich or Basso will podium. Kloden has not looked good at all so far. I think Mayo has pretty much taken himself out. I havent seen his climbing this year, but Im thinking maybe a surprise like a Karpets. It would not surprise me if Azcevedo makes it (He finished 5th last year). Maybe get a better idea this weeknd, who looks good on some of the more hilly sections before the Mountains stages.

The road goes up on Saturday. There will be attacks. One way to judge who is a challenger to Armstrong is to see who Disco stops from getting away.

Are we assuming that Basso is aiming for 1st, or has he an arrangement with LA to help him out if required like last year? Lets all hope that he is going to do his best to win. If CSC help out LA again then it will be very bad news. Just what do you think was in that brown envelope passed between the two team cars during Ullrichs' break last year?

alibat said:
...Just what do you think was in that brown envelope passed between the two team cars during Ullrichs' break last year?

It was a complimentary change of underwear for the CSC crew in anticipation of what LA was about to do.

Crankster said:
How's exactly "Heras" moving up? Or Sevilla?

We had two time trials and three bunch sprints.

If by moving up you mean improve in overall standings due to team time trial, it has very little to do with individual strength and has more to do with the team. And it has NOTHING to do with the way any of those guys will climb once big mountains hit them!!!

Yes, you are right. The team time trials did get them up in the GC, but they are also very good in the mountains. Whith team support, they will keep moving up in the GC and hopefully Heras will contend for the GC title. And, if we are throwing teams out, would Lance have a 55 second lead on the rest of the field? He has benifited from his team as well. My point bewing, the teams are doing their part to get their strong riders ready for the mountains.

alibat said:
Are we assuming that Basso is aiming for 1st, or has he an arrangement with LA to help him out if required like last year? Lets all hope that he is going to do his best to win. If CSC help out LA again then it will be very bad news. Just what do you think was in that brown envelope passed between the two team cars during Ullrichs' break last year?
LOL; the frightening thing is that I suspect you're serious with this sort of conspiracy horse manure.

rejobako said:
LOL; the frightening thing is that I suspect you're serious with this sort of conspiracy horse manure.

It is doubtful that there are conspiracies but riders make quick deals on a given occasion. This is nothing new.

rejobako said:

None of us can really know what was in that envelope. What is beyond doubt however is that CSC were more interested in protecting Bassos' 2nd place than any attempt to attack LA. Somehow, I can't see someone like Vino doing that.