Now suppose I DID get that EPIC thingy

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Peter R ., Apr 20, 2003.

  1. Peter R .

    Peter R . Guest

    What would be the best light XC fork to go with it, no limitations......I don't do ruff stuff.

    Peter R.

    Tags:

  2. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

  3. Peter R. wrote:
    > What would be the best light XC fork to go with it, no limitations......I don't do ruff stuff.
    >
    > Peter R.

    The lightest? http://www.rockshox.com/03RSProduct/03RSSIDPage/03RSSIDPageFlash.html

    Either the worldcup or the team, they're a teeny bit heavier, but better than the race.

    Thats if you're going all out XC race bike. Beware though, I just hopped on a brand new RS Sid Team
    today for a few minutes, and the difference in stiffness between it and my old z2 atom bomb was huge
    (same trail, within 15 minutes, so it was a good side-by-side comparison. Same travel distance,
    too!) It certainly was lighter though...

    Jon Bond

  4. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Peter R. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > What would be the best light XC fork to go with it, no limitations......I don't do ruff stuff.

    Surly.

    JD

  5. Peter R. wrote:
    > What would be the best light XC fork to go with it, no limitations......I don't do ruff stuff.
    >
    > Peter R.

    One more thing - I'd consider the Fox F80X (I think) - the one with the same technology as is in the
    brain shock in the rear. It'd match the feel of the rear very well, since its pretty much the same
    thing as your shock in the front. Still would have that strange first bump delay, but it'd match the
    rear perfectly.

    Jon Bond

  6. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Peter R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What would be the best light XC fork to go with it, no limitations......I don't do ruff stuff.
    >
    > Peter R.

    Sorry if I missed you having discussed an Epic purchase before, but have you fully test-ridden the
    Epic, or are you just impressed with the lockout? You seem to be very concerned with weight - if so,
    the Epic is not for you. Even with a full-out lightweight XC-race style build, the Epic is a heavy
    bike (well, heavy by XC race standards). Seriously, in an XC race environment - where a "no
    limitation" Epic would be intended to roam - a skilled rider is much better off on a hardtail.

    But, to directly answer your question, I believe the lightest non-Surly fork you could run would be
    the RS Sid Team, provided you don't get the remote for the lockout. If you do get a remote lockout
    lever, the Sid World Cup is lighter. Both are flexy, leaky pieces of doo-doo, however.

    Chris

  7. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Peter R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What would be the best light XC fork to go with it, no limitations......I don't do ruff stuff.
    >
    > Peter R.

    It's not the lightest out there, but I'm running a Manitou Black Elite Air on my S-Works Epic. It's
    only 80 mm, but I think there's at 100 mm out there. I love it. Pretty light, yet very stiff and
    plush too. No problems in
    2.5 seasons (moved it over from my previous bike).

    I like the look of the Fox Forx fork with the "Brain" technology, but the price is pretty steep. If
    you don't care about that then get it and let us all know how it goes. It would be cool to have that
    kind of suspension front and rear.

    Matt

  8. Peter R .

    Peter R . Guest

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 22:15:00 -0600, "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Peter R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> What would be the best light XC fork to go with it, no limitations......I don't do ruff stuff.
    >>
    >> Peter R.
    >
    >It's not the lightest out there, but I'm running a Manitou Black Elite Air on my S-Works Epic. It's
    >only 80 mm, but I think there's at 100 mm out there. I love it. Pretty light, yet very stiff and
    >plush too. No problems in
    >2.5 seasons (moved it over from my previous bike).
    >
    >I like the look of the Fox Forx fork with the "Brain" technology, but the price is pretty steep. If
    >you don't care about that then get it and let us all know how it goes. It would be cool to have
    >that kind of suspension front and rear.
    >
    >Matt

    Since you seem to have hands-on experience, what's this 'first bump delay' Jon was talking about ?
    Is it what I think it is, ie. you get a sharp poke in the back each time you go from flat to bumpy ?
    Now I'm not a racer, so weight is not my primary concern, but I just don't like lugging useless mass
    around. But I'm not bothered about an extra pound (or two) as opposed to the scalpel.

    Thanks Peter R.

  9. Tom Purvis

    Tom Purvis Guest

    Peter R. <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 22:15:00 -0600, "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >I like the look of the Fox Forx fork with the "Brain" technology, but the price is pretty steep.
    > >If you don't care about that then get it and let us all know how it goes. It would be cool to
    > >have that kind of suspension front and rear.
    > >
    > >Matt
    > >

    > Since you seem to have hands-on experience, what's this 'first bump delay' Jon was talking
    > about ? Is it what I think it is, ie. you get a sharp poke in the back each time you go from
    > flat to bumpy ?

    Was he talking about that with the Epic rear suspension or the Fox Forx fork with the brain? I've
    heard about that "startup penalty" with the fork, but I've ridden an Epic. I don't think that
    happens. The inertia valve system on the Epic seemed pretty damned immediate to me.

    > Now I'm not a racer, so weight is not my primary concern, but I just don't like lugging useless
    > mass around. But I'm not bothered about an extra pound (or two) as opposed to the scalpel.

    Again, not sure whether you're talking about the weight penalty of the Epic or of the new Fox Brain
    fork. The latter is pretty much the lightest fork in the 03' Fox Forx line IIRC. Pretty damn light,
    and WAY expensive. I think it's like $750 SRP. The price and the rumour of the first-bump lag made
    me lose interest. I would like a Float RLC, but even that's too damn expensive (and a quarter pound
    or so heavier than the fork with the "brain").
    --
    Tom "my z2 BAM is all paid for and works just fine" Purvis Salida, CO -
    http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/

  10. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Peter R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 22:15:00 -0600, "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote:

    <snip>

    > Since you seem to have hands-on experience, what's this 'first bump delay' Jon was talking about ?
    > Is it what I think it is, ie. you get a sharp poke in the back each time you go from flat to bumpy
    > ? Now I'm not a racer, so weight is not my primary concern, but I just don't like lugging useless
    > mass around. But I'm not bothered about an extra pound (or two) as opposed to the scalpel.
    >
    > Thanks Peter R.

    I believe it's the perceived delay from between the first hit and when the suspension activates (and
    I'm talking rear here since I haven't ridden that Fox Forx with the brain). I've heard it mentioned
    a bunch, but have never noticed it while riding. From my perspective the bike acts like a HT until I
    hit a bump and then it's a FS. Seems instantaneous to me.

    Matt

  11. [email protected] (JD) wrote

    > > What would be the best light XC fork to go with it, no limitations......I don't do ruff stuff.
    >
    > Surly.

    Hee. And then replace that "Brain" thing on the back with a solid strut, and you've got yourself
    a bike ;-).

    CC

  12. Si

    Si Guest

    I'd sell it and get something with a remote lockout!

    Si

    "Peter R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What would be the best light XC fork to go with it, no limitations......I don't do ruff stuff.
    >
    > Peter R.

  13. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    [email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (JD) wrote
    > >
    > > > What would be the best light XC fork to go with it, no limitations......I don't do ruff stuff.
    > >
    > > Surly.
    >
    > Hee. And then replace that "Brain" thing on the back with a solid strut, and you've got yourself a
    > bike ;-).
    >
    > CC

    What? He gets to keep his derrailleurs? /s