Now that we all agree: recumbents are the fastest bikes...

In article <[email protected]>, "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Very few coastal cities have single climbs with hundreds of feet (or more) elevation gain that
> > the upright bicycle proponents like to talk about so much.
> >
> > Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)
>
> I don't think you know what you're talking about. I believe you'd be hard-pressed to find a
> coastal city on the West Coast of the US that is more than a few miles from a climb such as this.

Hundreds of feet? Hee hee! My old commute in the suburbs of Vancouver used to take me from the shore
of Burrard Inlet to the shore of the Fraser River (very picturesque, eh? Actually, it was a
commercial/industrial commuter chute of the first order). In between was 400' of gain, and this
wasn't a very big climb. If I was still going to SFU, I would have about a 10 km commute with 1000'
of altitude change and 1400' of gain, more or less.

And none of that counts the North Shore mountains. Finding hills in Vancouver, Seattle, and San
Francisco is not hard. Even LA is all hills once you leave the basin.

Maybe San Diego is flat,

Jon Meinecke <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On 5 May 2003 16:08:52 -0700, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:

> > [recumbents] the simple fact is that they haven't caught on. That is enough for me to know.
>
> That's fine, but what insight does knowing that *simple fact* provide?

It means that I am not going to spend one waking minute trying to figure out why they haven't caught
on. The "simple fact" is just too overwhelming.

> I'm perfectly happy to ride my bike for fun, fitness, and basic transportation as much as I
> can,--- and wish it could be more. I *simply know* a recumbent bike permits me to do that in ways
> that an upright design *simply ergonomically* cannot for me.
>
> Jon Meinecke

Me too! But you and I are in a very small minority. I could give you a list of at least a half dozen
reasons why I ride a recumbent in preference to an upright and those reasons would be very similar
to yours I'm sure. But the vast majority of those who bicycle have decided otherwise. And they have
"decided". Everyone knows about the existence of recumbents. I have a pretty good idea why the vast
majority prefer uprights (those reasons have been stated many times on this newsgroup and on other
newsgroups). All I am saying is that the present situation is never going to change (I know, never
say never!), or at least not any time soon. And like you, this is fine with me. But I refuse to
proselytize for recumbents. What I like is not what others like. They have their reasons and I have
my reasons. If we are keeping score by the numbers, they have won and we have lost. But as both you
and I know, there is more to life than keeping score.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>
> All I am saying is that the present situation is never going to change (I know, never say
> never!), or at least not any time soon. And like you, this is fine with me. But I refuse to
> proselytize for recumbents. What I like is not what others like. They have their reasons and I
> have my reasons. If we are keeping score by the numbers, they have won and we have lost. But as
> both you and I know, there is more to life than keeping score.

Life in the USA is full of choices. If someone chooses to not to ride some kind of a kind of bicycle
I like it's ok. I mean it's really OK. I've had a long love affair with bikes and bike riding. My
choice is to have as many different biking experiences as possible and not to have a closed mind to
something just it's different. I usually find *different* intriguing and want to try it.

A guy I ride with bought a Ti Fuji road bike in the early eighties (I think). He declared it was his
lifetime bike. So far it has been and he has remained faithful to it. He has not ridden anything
else to my knowledge. Oddly enough he looks a lot like Jon Isaacs. On the other hand I've been a bit
promiscuous owning at least fifteen bikes - classic road bikes, classic touring bikes, mtb's,
recumbents. a hybrid and a folder plus a bunch of motorcycles - road and off road. The two of us
certainly made different choices. He has more money to count and I've got more bikes to ride. The
motorcycles are gone for good cause.

skip

Robert Chung wrote:

> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Very few coastal cities have single climbs with hundreds of feet (or more) elevation gain that
> > the upright bicycle proponents like to talk about so much.
> >
> > Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)
>
> I don't think you know what you're talking about. I believe you'd be hard-pressed to find a
> coastal city on the West Coast of the US that is more than a few miles from a climb such as this.

Of the approximately 6 billion people in the world, how many live in areas where there are elevation
changes of hundreds or thousands of feet over relatively short [1] distances? There are very good
reasons why large population concentrations do not make sense in these areas - primarily difficulty
of access, and slope stability considerations.

On another note, why do people in flat windy areas insist on riding tall bikes? I was on an
invitational ride this past weekend, and over the last 30 miles into a strong headwind I passed many
riders and was not passed by anyone. [2] Of course, I was the only person on a lowracer.

[1] I.e., those that can be covered by the use of human power over a time period of a few hours.
[2] For what it worth, I am poor health and my total aerobic exercise over the last six months
consists of less than 250 miles of riding. To paraphrase Mr. Armstrong, "Its the bike, not
the rider".

Dave Patterson wrote:

> Not true friend there are restrictions in recumbent racing and model choice,Its not the helter
> skelter go for broke type thing you would think it is Dave

The International Human Powered Vehicle Association has one basic rule regarding equipment for speed
records to be legal - no stored energy source is allowed.

In article <[email protected]>, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> writes:

> Of the approximately 6 billion people in the world, how many live in areas where there are
> elevation changes of hundreds or thousands of feet over relatively short [1] distances?

Lots. Including practically the entire west coasts of The Americas. Then, there's places like
Kashmir, Nepal, other inland areas of India, China & Mongolia, the Alps, Appenines, the Rockies,
Appalachia ...

> There are very good reasons why large population concentrations do not make sense in these areas

Do I detect a note of "sour grapes"?

Actually, there are very good reasons why large population concentrations /do/ make sense in these
areas, which have been geologically active and are therefore mineralogically rich, which leads to
some very fruitful capital ventures, which leads to working communities, which leads to local
economies, which leads to cities. If the cities are coastal, that leads to ports and a thriving
import/export exchange. Then, there's the variagated climate effects due to a range of altitudes,
which leads to a variety of agricultural/primary industry possibilities. And tourism-draws, like
skiing and mountain biking.

Flattish, recumbent-tolerant areas (like Kansas), OTOH, have ... wheat. And tornadoes.

Want some wheat?

Or, there's swampy stuff like along part of the north coast of Aus, where big fuzzy spiders jump
out of trees onto your shoulders (that's just their friendly way of saying "hello".) Or the Sahara
desert. Lotsa ppl there. Yeah, right! Bangladesh is pretty flat (kinda reminds me of Spanish Banks
when the tide is out), and there's a bunch of ppl there, but I don't think there's many 'bent
riders there.

> On another note, why do people in flat windy areas insist on riding tall bikes? I was on an
> invitational ride this past weekend, and over the last 30 miles into a strong headwind I passed
> many riders and was not passed by anyone.

On yet another note, why do you make a point of passing ppl who are having a good enough time to
want to savour it and make the experience last a little longer, instead of getting it
over-&-done-with ASAP?

I guess you recumbent ppl just don't get it. But I still have hope for you. Then again, I'm more
optimistic than a lot of others.

Keep trying.

cheers, Tom